Page 86 of 143 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2136
    First Grader

TITANIC RAID

Fifita is contracted to the Titans until the end of next season, but his future at Parkwood will become untenable if Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook cannot get the Queensland Origin hulk firing on a consistent basis.

News Corp understands Fifita has privately reached out to Bennett in recent weeks, seeking advice in a mentoring capacity on ways to recapture the form that saw him labelled the best young forward talent in the code at the Broncos in 2020.

The Titans’ highest-paid player, Fifita’s treatment by Holbrook has been shambolic. The 22-year-old will not see a long-term future at a club that has either played him out of position at centre, or axed him to the bench on numerous occasions.

Bennett handed Fifita his NRL debut in 2018 and revealed he wants him in Dolphins colours, saying he is prepared to wait until the new franchise’s second season in 2024 to reunite with the back-row strike weapon.

“It’s not my job to coach other players at other clubs, but I have a lot of respect for Dave,” said Bennett, who tried to sign Fifita to South Sydney last year.

“If he is on the market, yes, I would be interested in David Fifita.

“You can’t walk away from quality players, but he isn’t on the market just yet, so we will have to wait.

“I know what a wonderful player that he can be.”

Asked what advice he would give to Fifita if he was his coach now, a taciturn Bennett said with his trademark crooked grin: “I’m not coaching him, so I’m not giving him any advice.

“It’s just not happening for him right now. It’s up to him and his coach at the Titans to work it out.”

I think most players have not improved or have gone backwards under Holbrook and his 40% winning record bears semblance to that. That and his bewildering selections have lost me and I would suggest Fifita will be out of the titans as soon as he can due to the way Holbrook has managed him.

Yeh I agree.. I feel like we have gone backwards this year.. it has me seriously considering my membership for next year.. when holbrook came in, he made changes if they worked.. feels like he doesn’t do that now unless there’s an injury

First Grader

Sure he isn't worth a mill but jeez it is going to suck to see Fifita used properly at another team and reaching his full potential, especially when there is a good chance that team will be the Broncos.

Far out though if he doesn't wanna be here, go to the Dolphins so we can use that money for people that do. Use that money to go after Moses even. We need a quality, experienced half here. Would make all the difference.

Rep Player

At the start of the year losing Fifita would of killed me but we are such or a rabble of a club and cannot seem to bring out the best in anyone so it’s no surprise. I have no idea to start with a with what we need. Has to be more than just players in some aspects

If Fifita has designs on leaving( and we don’t really know) then let him go. But let it be a salutary lesson to us that, if you are going to pay marquee money, pay it on a spine player who has already displayed that they are worthy of the big bucks. Don’t pay on potential or on anyone outside the spine.

Would Tino be next out the door if Dave left? That would destroy us

Dolphins must be very desperate to sign players. Bricking it. Just about every big gun they have aimed for they have not landed. Thank God it wasn't so hard for us when we started. There were just a heap of players who immediately made sense. Prince, Presto, Friend, Walker, Meyers.

With this situation, I'm not going to agonise myself about it. Hopefully he gets it together on the field. I'm 50/50 on it. Happy to Money Ball some players, equally happy to throw it the spine like people said. Ah come on, come live on the GC. It's bloody amazing.

Tino. What an absolute thoroughbred leader with a big engine. I won't even entertain the idea that he'll leave.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Far out though if he doesn't wanna be here, go to the Dolphins so we can use that money for people that do. Use that money to go after Moses even. We need a quality, experienced half here. Would make all the difference.
    Mate I would say with a good half we would be close to top 4 right now

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Would Tino be next out the door if Dave left? That would destroy us
    He’s contracted until 2026. He’s not going anywhere.

We should be worried about the direction the team is heading rather than recruitment … we are woeful in a lot of non-playing aspects such as selection and structures, imho. Fix these and there’s no Dorpins in the picture. The only things Bennett has in his favor are (1) his myth, (2) money to spend, and (3) OUR CRAP PERFORMANCES!!!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Titans miss out on Luke Garner to Penrith which is understandable considering the difference in quality but it would have been nice to get him as he played his junior football on the Gold Coast

Maybe we should create some type of watchlist website that tracks all the players out there with some GC pedigree.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Freddy Lussick apparently getting released to join the warriors. I don't think he's out answer, but still crazy we signed Isaako when we need hooker depth.

Guess we got to try and go a money ball option like Adam Keighran or go hard for Cam McInnes.

Or hope we can bulk up Tanah Boyd into no 9. Whatever happened to Aaron Booth which we signed?

First Grader

Whilst contracted to the Cows to 2023, it was reported that they were willing to swap him to get Luciano a year early. As such it sounds like he is not in their long term plans particularly with Cotter playing well.

Robson is a local junior and is a quality hooker who has all the skills as a 9 and I would be making enquiries as to whether he is interested in coming back home and a year earlier