Page 85 of 143 FirstFirst ... 35 75 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2136

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    With the way Holbrook is going with his bewildering selections, Fifita won’t be hanging around
    I agree. He seems a perfect fit for Bennett up at the Dolphins who also seems to always have the media in his pocket too. Honestly if I was Fifita I'd be looking to go up there

Well Fifi didn't win us a premiership nor attract anyone else to the club so let's overpay someone else to pin our hopes on.

Fifita is a huge negative in nett value to the club … seems poorly used and largely disinterested which also appears to be symptomatic in the team especially in the very overrated Proctor and Wallace in particular.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Fifita isn’t a playmaker. If we fix the spine problem, we also fix the Fifita problem.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Fifita isn’t a playmaker. If we fix the spine problem, we also fix the Fifita problem.
    110% we have never addressed or fixed our spine in years. No point signing all these big money forwards when Our spine is woeful. Look at the top teams and you will see what they have in common

First Grader

We have Wallace $600k, ESE ESE $400k, Proctor,, Marsters and Isaako. There is a bit of coin there to rebalance the squad and go aggressively after a quality 6 or 7 and a 9. and start replacing the squad with development and really promising train and trial players who show high potential. Payton showed how a quick turn around can be achieved when he went after a good half and blooding young forwards last year in Luki and Nanai who still is only 19.

It can be done but you can’t drive a Maserati if you don’t have a motor. Our halves is a rookie who is out of his depth at the moment and real doubts as to whether he can make it and a journeyman in Smith who has never cemented a permanent first grade spot across 3 clubs.

I remember when Deardon in his first grade debut season made heaps of mistakes but he had the pace ( not express but quick enough) and just kept backing himself all game. He now is playing extremely well. Sexton is not playing no where near at the level of Deadon in his 1st year who was 2 years younger. Hope Sexton comes good but he is so far off the pace I have doubts and the club needs to start now to rebalance the squad with quality in the spine.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 01-05-22 at 07:40 PM.

Does anyone know how Jojo Fifita's been going in the lower grades? Really liked what I saw from him in the trials.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    110% we have never addressed or fixed our spine in years. No point signing all these big money forwards when Our spine is woeful. Look at the top teams and you will see what they have in common
    Our spine is arguably the worst in the comp. And it shows. Holbrook took a huge gamble and it hasn't paid off. These players might have gone alright in the Super League but the NRL is an entirely different ballgame. I'm sure he's just finding that out now.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 01-05-22 at 11:16 PM.

How I miss the days of Nathan Friend. Perhaps, next to Presto, a Titan incarnate.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Affiliate Wrap: Campbell and McIntyre shine for Tweed in tight defeat to Wynnum
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...eat-to-wynnum/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans fullback Jayden Campbell announced his return from injury with a brilliant game
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

Even in a losing cause, Jayden Campbell announced his comeback with some outstanding numbers. Now it is a matter of if he gets picked to help a misfiring Titans side.

Jayden Campbell is back, and ready to answer a Gold Coast Titans SOS.

As the attack of the NRL outfit struggled to make a dent in their rivals defence, Campbell shone in the Queensland Cup in a performance that showed no signs of the injury which has hindered the fullback’s campaign.

Fresh off his return from a rib cartilage injury, the 22-year-old turned in an emphatic display for Tweed Seagulls in their gutsy 38-34 defeat to Wynnum-Manly.

Campbell’s 80 minutes on Saturday yielded a try, 219 running metres, two linebreaks and 11 tackle busts in just his second game since being sidelined in the Glitter Strip’s round three clash with Canberra.

His combination with fellow Titans contracted youngster Paul Turner also sparked plenty in attack, with the pair linking up frequently on the right edge to put winger Scott Galeano over for a double.

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has said he would not call Campbell back into the NRL side until his confidence and game fitness had spiked. Despite being available for the club’s clash with Penrith, AJ Brimson shifted to the back. However with the team now in a fight to salvage their season, Tweed coach Ben Woolf believed the young custodian was playing with the same freedom that won him the club’s number one jersey in the first place.

And backed Campbell to have the tools to make an impact should he earn an NRL call up.

“He was back to himself, last week he was probably a little bit off and not in the game as much,” Woolf said.

“But he was back to his normal self. From my perspective he was back in good form and similar to what he was last year when he got his call up.

“We got a little bit more time with Paul and JC on that right edge. They could build a combination, I know they train together (at Titans) but Paul was in a new position and bringing JC back in it didn’t click as well (last week against Townsville).

“I don’t think it will hurt him building his confidence at the moment, whether that takes weeks or a month that’s up to the Titans, but he’s very talented and playing good footy.”

While the Titans shocked the Penrith Panthers with a 4-0 halftime lead on Friday night, their attacking linchpins in Brimson, Toby Sexton, Will Smith and Erin Clark were unable to orchestrate any further scoreboard pressure.

Now that they have slipped to a 2-6 start the season, Campbell’s comeback could be accelerated before their campaign ends without a shot being fired.

However Holbrook was quick to defend his playmaking quartet after his side’s eventual 18-4 defeat.

Given Brimson failed to take the field in round one, and Campbell was injured in round three, the coach said his ideal maestros had been unable to find any consistency together.

Nevertheless, he said whoever assumed those jerseys needed to step up before their season slips away before it can truly kick off.

“I think the hard thing is what we trained pre-season – AJ gets ruled out going into round one, JC (Jayden Campbell) gets an injury halfway through game three. Our seven, six and one after eight games have played one and a half games together,” Holbrook said.

“I think that’s obviously the area we have to get right because our middles are trying so hard, our outside backs were brilliant again.

“It’s those key positions, we need them to be playing better collectively and we have to because we’re in a bad spot.”

Titans utility reveals where his future lies

As Titans coach Justin Holbrook swung the axe on his misfiring Gold Coast side, utility Tanah Boyd has revealed where his long-term future with the club lay.

While he came up through the ranks as a halfback, Boyd confirmed his transition to hooker was complete ahead of just his second NRL game of the season.

A cheek fracture sustained in round one sidelined the 21-year-old for four weeks, but he announced his comeback for Tweed in the Queensland Cup coming off the bench in a 40 minute stint out of dummy-half.

Boyd’s return has coincided with a dismal Titans showing against North Queensland, with Holbrook responding by axing Jamayne Isaako at fullback for AJ Brimson, with Will Smith line up at five-eighth.

Erin Clark will keep his number nine jumper for Friday’s clash against Penrith, with Boyd to share the ruck duties from the interchange.

That role, Boyd said, was where his greatest chance at cementing a spot in the Gold Coast 17 would come from.

And he said he intended to use the opportunity to make a statement as the club seek to pull themselves out of the doldrums and salvage their flailing campaign.

“I played hooker (for Tweed) and that’s what I’ll be doing here,” Boyd said.

“I’m loving it to be honest, making the move in pre-season and doing the full pre-season there it’s been good. I’m loving it to be honest, making the move in pre-season and doing the full pre-season there it’s been good. I’ve enjoyed it and am constantly getting better and better.

“Me and Clarky get along really well; he’s a fiery bugger and been playing so good. He’s been one of our best I think, he always takes the sting out of the game and I’m just going to try bring the energy and effort.

“I felt good the day after (the injury). It’s a weird one, they don’t hurt too much so I was ready to go. I’ve just been getting flogged for the last four weeks, but it’s good to be back and I can’t wait.”

Friday night’s challenge against the defending champions will also mark the return of Herman Ese’ese, who will come off the bench after the Titans forwards were bullied by their Cowboy counterparts.

Ese’ese has not featured in the NRL since he ironically took on the Panthers in Magic Round last year. Following a high tackle on Brian To’o, he was suspended with a Grade 3 Careless High Tackle.

After an intensive pre-season in which he shed weight in a bid to improve his selection chances, the prop has been a regular sight among the Gold Coast reserves while yet to take the field.

Given the 27-year-old has been required to travel with the NRL side as Covid-19 cover, he has only been able to play two games for the Burleigh Bears in the Queensland Cup thus far.

While Ese’ese admitted the lack of chances to prove his worth gave him itchy feet, his focus had quickly shifted to making an impression against the Panthers.

“It's pretty frustrating but it’s the new rules now. You wish you could get some game time when you’re not playing, but you just have to roll with the punches,” he said.

“It was a scrappy game (against the Cowboys, a few errors there, and Justo wanted to make some changes there.

“It’s a tough ask, but we’re at home and have a lot of confidence in this week’s training.”

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Does anyone know how Jojo Fifita's been going in the lower grades? Really liked what I saw from him in the trials.

- - - Updated - - -

Jo Jo has been playing exceptionally well on the wing for Tweed. Didn’t play last weekend. IMHO he is an out and out centre. He has pace to burn( schoolboy sprint champion), size, a calmness about him and he hits hard in defence. I remember his debut against the Donkeys in a trial where his defence in the centres stood out like the proverbial. He should be ready next year and Lofi K-P should just about be ready for a wing spot. Another speed merchant. I just wish Shallin Fuller and Joe Vuna weren’t on the injured list. I really believe Shaolin would spark up our attack immensely.

Our spine is arguably the worst in the comp. And it shows. Holbrook took a huge gamble and it hasn't paid off. These players might have gone alright in the Super League but the NRL is an entirely different ballgame. I'm sure he's just finding that out now.

Rep Player

We need to bring Sezer back

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Campbell is only marginally smaller than Papenhuyzen. If Paps can make it, why not JC?
    Interesting point. Papenhuyzen has been a revelation and his rise has caught me off guard.

Jayden Campbell
    183 cm 80 kg Source: Titans.com.au

Ryan Papenhuyzen
    181 cm 80 kg Source: melbournestorm.com.au

So if AJ moves to #1 again and ends the #6 project. Where does JC fit in? Winger? We have Thompson (Maybe a risk to leave to the Dolphins), Marzhew (Not going anywhere). Then we have some players like Sami. And JoJo coming through.

TUKU HAU TAPUHA is only a young guy coming up through the rosters system and he been killing it this year I think
    Work be a cheap youngster for the star of his career got some meters in him and big boy to bends the line nicely
    great replacement for Wallace better band cheaper
    Daejarn Asi is for me a utility player or impact player if only he could play hooker as well but I think he would add so much to our team
    Cameron McInnes is wasted where he is and I woud pay what he is o now with no worries and I would not care if its a 4 year deal
    He is what we need to lead our forwards around and help Tino out so he can play he more natural game I would even try to get for the rest of this season needs to be in at dummy half thats for sure

Rep Player

Asi is already gone to the Warriors mate