Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NFL Season 21/22

Started a thread for those wishing to discuss the upcoming NFL season.
    Fly Eagles FLy.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone is keen I can also set up a Fantasy league for us.

Nice one ozynorts.

The problem with a league would be pinning everyone down to a time for a draft but if we get numbers I'm keen.

Don't follow this sport but have always had an interest in giving it a go

How do I choose a team? Is there any teams that you can warn me to avoid?

Is there a 1 pager FYI sheet on how to become an NFL fan overnight?

I'm keen to learn more about the NFL but definitely can't go a fantasy. Can't even manage that in NRL.

I quite like the LA Chargers kit.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

https://nflteampicker.nfl.com/

Steer clear of the Patriots, Broncos (for obvious reasons) and some don't like the Dallas Cowboys.

What I like about it. The brutality of the off the field politics. You drop a pass, you could find yourself not playing or being dropped out of the 52. The athleticism of these guys. The skill. How huge the whole spectacle is. The refs are usually all well educated and very good at their job. If they get it wrong they get it right.

What I don't like. The celebration of doing what you're paid to do. Stopping for commercials. The stupidity and lack of respect or the law that some of the athletes have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Don't follow this sport but have always had an interest in giving it a go

How do I choose a team? Is there any teams that you can warn me to avoid?

Is there a 1 pager FYI sheet on how to become an NFL fan overnight?
    Eagles are my team and keep a eye on the left tackle Jordan mailata he’s a Samoan Aussie who never played nfl before heading over and could now be there starting tackle. He use to play for the rabbits under 20’s but was just to big for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    Eagles are my team and keep a eye on the left tackle Jordan mailata he’s a Samoan Aussie who never played nfl before heading over and could now be there starting tackle. He use to play for the rabbits under 20’s but was just to big for the game.
    Cheers Sunny, I remember watching Jordan play 20s. PSM have done well to get him sorted over there.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright my extensive research (watching highlights and reading a few blogs & articles for an hour maximum) I've narrowed it down to:

Bears
    Eagles
    Chargers

Can someone give me a quick pro's, cons & things to know about these teams and a 101 on their rosters/fanbase/trajectory?

I'll repay you by cheering loudly and clapping from behind the computer to show my support the next time you're in a debate on LOT

Alternatively to be less of a nuisance I'll just watch them play a few times and see who I'm more inclined to get behind

Who do you see yourself as

Bears: Barrack Obama fan
    Philly: Bradley Cooper
    Chargers: No one because they left San Diego

Philly are popular
    Bears not so much
    Chargers not at all

Out of the 3 I'd say the Chargers are on the up and up. Then the Bears and (sorry fellas) Philly.

Chargers have a better line up. 2nd year QB good RB committee. Joey Bosa in their defence is a machine
    Bears All old guys. Defence sucks too
    Philly Have gone with a WR as their QB and their RB is getting on. Defence is average

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Who do you see yourself as

Bears: Barrack Obama fan
    Philly: Bradley Cooper
    Chargers: No one because they left San Diego

Philly are popular
    Bears not so much
    Chargers not at all

Out of the 3 I'd say the Chargers are on the up and up. Then the Bears and (sorry fellas) Philly.

Chargers have a better line up. 2nd year QB good RB committee. Joey Bosa in their defence is a machine
    Bears All old guys. Defence sucks too
    Philly Have gone with a WR as their QB and their RB is getting on. Defence is average
    Thanks for taking the time JB, much appreciated

I'm leaning towards Chargers. Justin "brother of Patrick" Herbert got me over the line

When you are starting out watching the game it can be a bit frustrating but there is one thing to remember, it is like contact chess. Every play is structured (to a point) to achieve a position on the field. They only have 4 attempts to gain 10 yards, if they fail after 3 attempts they usually kick it away for field position. The draw here is when they do pull off a big play all the structure doesn't matter, just the athleticism of the player with the ball.

Some of the calls and flags are a bit hard to get your head around too. I still sit there and scratch my head. QB's are like the last unicorns on Earth and are treated that way. If you have unnecessary contact with a QB it's a big deal.

I like to watch the defensive lines too. The skill that some of these man mountains have, the tactics from the defensive coach and when they get their hands on a QB legally it's quite the accomplishment. Defensive intercepts and touchdowns (pick 6) have quite the celebrations too.

How did everyone originally get interested in NFL?

I think introductions like this from you all really help.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

How good is this NFL game pass? Pre-season games all available to stream live for free. Bolt up baby (did that sound good?)

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    How did everyone originally get interested in NFL?

I think introductions like this from you all really help.
    For me my Nephew was into it and a few guys I worked with. I told them I'd do an NFL draft if they did an NRL draft. Three years later I can't make finals but win the NRL every year. The 4am game starts is a fun one but then you get 7, 10 and 11am games on a monday and Tuedsday games our time so kayo in the corner of one of my screens at work is a good excuse to like the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    How good is this NFL game pass? Pre-season games all available to stream live for free. Bolt up baby (did that sound good?)
    Game Pass isn't free....from memory it's about $290 for the year. Wait until Monday Red Zone. You don't watch one game, you watch every game simultaneously and they cut to and from games depending on the action that is happening in anyone of the games that is on. It's epic.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    For me my Nephew was into it and a few guys I worked with. I told them I'd do an NFL draft if they did an NRL draft. Three years later I can't make finals but win the NRL every year. The 4am game starts is a fun one but then you get 7, 10 and 11am games on a monday and Tuedsday games our time so kayo in the corner of one of my screens at work is a good excuse to like the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Game Pass isn't free....from memory it's about $290 for the year. Wait until Monday Red Zone. You don't watch one game, you watch every game simultaneously and they cut to and from games depending on the action that is happening in anyone of the games that is on. It's epic.
    Gotya, thanks JB. It must just be the pre-season games that they're showing free. That sounds sick. The NFL pre-season coverage is more detailed than the NRL's actual season coverage lol