Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Our team might suck sometimes and play dumb, but far out we need to be glad they aren't as stupid as Parramatta have been tonight.
    Came here to say this. Imagine being a parra supporter

Fact is, Melb/Panthers/Souths/Manly are all so far ahead this year. Parra were top 4 most of the year and Roosters are the Roosters. 7th/8th is where we belong and it’s gonna take more than a season and some young big-name forwards to improve that. Sucks but unfortunately is what it is

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t stop thinking about Fermy’s grubber kick

It’s just so funny

Yes seeing the Parra score tonight makes me a feel just that little bit better…our scoreline now seems stomachable

You know, as bad as we were today, we are far, far from the worst team in this comp currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Can’t stop thinking about Fermy’s grubber kick

It’s just so funny
    I feel this is a personal attack on me. I mean, he made the break and we were all asking who's a better choice for 5/8 next year and now we can cross one more name off that list.

Could be worse, could be the Wallabies

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    We need an NFL thread for this season. Anyone else sitting on the fence of NFL during the offseason, give it a go.
    I've gotten into NBA to distract me from the titans, tried a few times to get into NFL need to watch it more this season and pick a team

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Yep, go the Eagles

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping Jordan mailata has his breakout year

Yes you legend, Fly those glorious Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    I've gotten into NBA to distract me from the titans, tried a few times to get into NFL need to watch it more this season and pick a team
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah I’ve been a LA Rams/St Louis Rams/LA Rams fan for all my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    We need an NFL thread for this season. Anyone else sitting on the fence of NFL during the offseason, give it a go.
    http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/sho...552#post419552

One thing I'm happy with. As inept as we were, we were simply outplayed by a much better team on the day. There was no 'surrender' as we have seen in the past.

Banned

Please someone tell Brian Kelly to pass the ball
    We need some leadership out there in the backs
    We need The Don

QLD Cup

I had to watch this one on delay but agree with most of the comments in this thread. A few takeaways from the game though from my perspective:

1 - The NRL has really lost its way in recent times in respect to rules interpretation.
    On the Reynolds try, Koloamatangi never had control of the ball and it was propelled forward off his body after he played at it. In recent times we have seen unsuspecting players propel the ball off their head but they never actually played at the ball, therefore it was accidental. If that is how they are going to interpret that rule then we may as well start heading the ball through the line, just as they do in soccer.

When Walker slid the ball back into play, why was that not ruled a line drop out? He voluntarily forced the ball in his in-goal. What a I missing here?

There is major inconsistency in the way the six again is refereed. When we had the ball the ref's employed a two part held call. The first was "held" and that was followed with a "release" 2-3 secs afterwards. Held means release. It does not mean wrestle the player into the position that benefits you the most. When we were on defence and were slow, it was six again.

While we are on six again, what benefit is a set restart on the first tackle when we are pinned down our own end? The defence has rushed us and set their line for the next play. We then have a slow play the ball and have to cart it into a set defence line. A penalty with the potential for a 40m kick downfield would be far more beneficial to a team that is the victim of penalty.

I didn't like the Braiden Burns knock on when he kicked it. Your foot is the only part of your body where you are allowed to propel the ball forward. Why complicate it? He kicked the ball - full stop. Who cares about the intent. It's only going to lead to inconsistencies as it is subjective.

Our defensive intent
    The way that we are coaching defence is only going to set us up for future failure. I get the feeling that we are coaching the defence to take three steps and brace for contact so we can avoid any unnecessary head contact and therefore maintain 13 on the field. Unfortunately, it is a poor strategy against the top teams as they can roll us through the middle. It's impossible to win the contact when you aren't moving forward. All of the momentum is with the player who has the ball.

The other problem with that tactic is it encourages laziness. When fatigue sets in, three steps becomes two, or less, and the problem compounds. Some players are worse than others - Mo was especially bad against Souths, Joliffe has been poor in other weeks (see my rants in past threads), but it isn't just their fault to own. It's a poor tactic and it shouldn't be used as a substitute for poor tackle technique or brain snaps.

Our halves
    I don't think that our halves were bad that game. Both made a couple of simple errors with ball in hand but which half doesn't? If a half isn't making errors then they aren't trying anything. The fact is the game was lost in the middle. I thought their kicking was okay and their defence was admirable in a team that had little field position or possession. I'd hate to see Sexton dropped for Fogarty, but then again a game against the competition leaders on a short turn around is probably not make or break for his progression as a young half.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    Please someone tell Brian Kelly to pass the ball
    We need some leadership out there in the backs
    We need The Don
    You're standing beside him mate, yell a bit louder.

Don is on the other side of the field to BK, he's not going to hear him. Anyway, Marzhew made more run meters in a losing team than Don has all year. Unless you want to have a spell on the sidelines, the Don's days are done..
    Last edited by NZFan; 16-08-21 at 03:08 PM.

First Grader

Great post NZFan, spot on

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post

While we are on six again, what benefit is a set restart on the first tackle when we are pinned down our own end? The defence has rushed us and set their line for the next play. We then have a slow play the ball and have to cart it into a set defence line. A penalty with the potential for a 40m kick downfield would be far more beneficial to a team that is the victim of penalty.

Our defensive intent
    The way that we are coaching defence is only going to set us up for future failure. I get the feeling that we are coaching the defence to take three steps and brace for contact so we can avoid any unnecessary head contact and therefore maintain 13 on the field. Unfortunately, it is a poor strategy against the top teams as they can roll us through the middle. It's impossible to win the contact when you aren't moving forward. All of the momentum is with the player who has the ball.

The other problem with that tactic is it encourages laziness. When fatigue sets in, three steps becomes two, or less, and the problem compounds. Some players are worse than others - Mo was especially bad against Souths, Joliffe has been poor in other weeks (see my rants in past threads), but it isn't just their fault to own. It's a poor tactic and it shouldn't be used as a substitute for poor tackle technique or brain snaps.
    Great post NZF, re these 2 paragraphs -

This mockery of the 6 again is consistent amongst all the top sides - they don't care if they give away an extra tackle or 2 when other teams are coming out of their own end because if they win the ruck on the first two tackles and slow it down enough, the attacking team just can't recover. It's something we should be doing but knowing our luck with refs we'd somehow turn it into a send-off.

Great point about defensive speed of individuals and I've hesitated to say anything but Mo's D has some real flaws especially when we need to grind against momentum. He's a bit slow to move, is low-set which sees players often get an offload on him, and when he's defending the goal-line he is pretty passive and has had blokes go over him a few times. Love the bloke but it costs us a bit.

Rep Player

Great analysis NZF, agree with everything.

Kick to the head was deliberate. Nothing to see move on.... Protected species

Fast forward to Souths V Roosters and he is at it again. Probably gets 4 weeks this time , should already have been sidelined.