Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Sezer left us because we signed DCE and virtually forced him out of the club, only to end up having DCE backflip on us and Sezer had signed with Canberra.
    Correct and he was just beginning to mature into the organizer we have lacked since Prince.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Sezer left us because we signed DCE and virtually forced him out of the club, only to end up having DCE backflip on us and Sezer had signed with Canberra.
    Yeah I know, just another reason to hate DCE.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Yeah I know, just another reason to hate DCE.
    An absolute tosser and I can't believe we still don't boo him like we once did (now there's a petition I'd sign).
    Ruined SOO for me and with any luck they wake up to themselves next year and realise the QLD side will never have the legendary heart and spirit whilst the Cherry wanker is involved

Rep Player

Hear hear Rav

Inactive User

Will post late tonight
    I no longer am fired up or care too much
    This team can’t be bothered playing with intensity with defence so I have no trust or faith at all

It will take a long time for this team and coaching staff to gain community respect again

Pumped to see sexton play. Also marzew can hopefully continue his big runs from the back.

Gold Coast Titans hoping to cash in on Bulldogs’ bungle with Toby Sexton

via Travis Meyn, 24/07/2021 https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a8f4cc04ab5614

Toby Sexton has revealed his desire to help the Gold Coast become a premiership force as the richest rookie in Titans history prepares to make his NRL debut.

Sexton will become Titan No.168 when he starts at halfback in Sunday’s crucial clash against St George Illawarra at Cbus Super Stadium.

It will be a special moment for the Palm Beach Currumbin junior, who has spent his entire life on the Gold Coast and long dreamt of wearing a Titans jersey.

Sexton, 20, was nearly lost to the Gold Coast when he was overlooked by Titans scouts in school, instead signing a four-year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs before nearly joining Cronulla.

If not for an administrative error and a desperate late bid by the Titans, Sexton may have been lost to Sydney forever.

Instead, he has been earmarked as the playmaker to lead the Titans into a new generation they hope will be filled with NRL premiership success following 15 years of up-and-down results.

With the guidance of manager Tas Bartlett of PSM, Sexton last month signed a lucrative contract extension with the Titans, keeping him at the club until 2024 on a deal worth close to $500,000-a-season at the end.

It is the most cash the Titans have ever splashed on a player yet to feature in the NRL, showing how highly coach Justin Holbrook rates Sexton.

“It’s a dream come true,” Sexton said of his debut. “I have grown up my whole life on the Gold Coast and come through all the junior ranks with school and local footy.

“To be given the opportunity to play for my local club in the Gold Coast Titans ... I am so grateful for and so proud to represent this club.

“It was a very easy decision for me (to re-sign) and a very personal one too.

“I want to be a part of this club’s success moving forward and to be able to do it as a local kid who has grown up on the Gold Coast my whole life would make it so much more special and memorable.

“To be where I am now in making my debut is way past my wildest dreams. I just want to help bring rugby league back to the Gold Coast as a dominant force in the competition and constantly make my community, my family and friends proud of me.”

Sexton was part of an elite group of Queensland schoolboys stars that graduated in 2019 comprising the likes of Warriors whiz Reece Walsh, Roosters dynamo Sam Walker and Maroons jet Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.

He was overlooked by Titans scouts in his early high school years and instead inked a four-year development deal with the Bulldogs.

Sexton could have still been in Bulldogs colours if not for a sliding doors moment that delivered him to the Titans.

“He had an option in the contract for the fourth year but due to a change of staff at the Bulldogs they missed the deadline,” Bartlett said.

“Everyone watching the game that year realised he was going to be in the Queensland halves along with Sam Walker and a massive chance to make the Australian side.

“The Bulldogs wanted to take up the option but they missed the deadline. The Sharks flew him down to Cronulla and it looked like he would go there.

“I rang Mal Meninga (Titans culture chief) and Ezra Howe (Titans recruitment manager) and asked them if they wanted to sign the Australian Schoolboys halfback from Palm Beach Currumbin who is a great person and ticked all the boxes. It was a rare opportunity for the Titans.

“It looked like it wouldn’t happen because they had already signed their three rookie spots and were on a tight budget.

“To Ezra’s credit, he was a massive fan of Toby’s and the instigator to get another rookie spot on their books and a deal done.

“Toby has always wanted to play for the Titans. To sign a very lucrative deal to stay in your own backyard is very rare these days, usually you have to pack your bags and leave like Reece Walsh (Broncos to Warriors).

“He never wanted to leave so to be rewarded is testament to what he’s doing under Justin and the club is prepared to back him long-term. Toby sees a clear pathway and the deal reflects he is their future.”

Sexton may have made his NRL debut earlier if not for the turbulence of the past two years.

He was slated to spend last year developing in the Intrust Super Cup, but the competition was abandoned after one round due to Covid complications.

Sexton was dominating the ISC for Tweed Heads this year before joining the Titans Covid bubble and a finger injury to Gold Coast halfback Jamal Fogarty has given him an opportunity in the NRL.

“To give a guy his NRL debut is exciting, but to have a local guy that’s grown up in the community is twice as exciting,” Holbrook said.

“He has earned it. He has been itching for an opportunity this year and gets it now. He will do really well for us, he’s a great young player.

“He is a really old-fashioned halfback, a good organiser who understands the game and is really intelligent. He’s got a great kicking game and is a strong defender.

“He’s not an electrifying halfback that’s going to make 10 line breaks but he brings so much organisation to a team. He’s very mature for a 20-year-old. He’s got a 30-year-old brain in his head which is a terrific trait for a young half.

“He’s a really popular young player and confident, exactly what we need when we’re not playing as well as we would like to.”

With the Titans two wins out of the top eight and running out of time to make the finals, an injection of energy and youth in Sexton could get them going.

Whatever happens, Sexton is just happy to realise a childhood dream.

“It’s still so surreal, you dream of this moment ever since you first started playing footy and to be here now, there’s not many words to describe it,” he said.

“My week’s been really good, I’m definitely trying to soak it all up and take in every moment but I know my main focus is playing good footy on Sunday and that’s where my head is at.”
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 25-07-21 at 11:19 AM.

Inactive User

Glorious Words

Rep Player

2 wins outside the 8. Dragons and Bulldogs. If we want even the slightest chance of playing finals footy it’s go time for the boys. Rip in Toby

Fermy starting! Somebody check on JB

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Fermor > Fifita

Me and coach are on the same page

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    In place of Fifita or Proctor?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    In place of Fifita or Proctor?
    Fifi pulling splinters out of his ass

We and the coach are on the same page … Pepsi and Fifita in rotation is a positive step towards the future. Hope Sexton goes half as well as his media … go you good thing!

Billy Moore tipping the Stain is the best indicator yet.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Something is up with Fifita. I sure hope it’s just post-Origin fatigue management.