Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry DON'T SIGN HIM! Israel Folau

Israel Folau tweets Bible verse in wake of gays to hell controversy
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/

ISRAEL Folau appears to be positioning himself as persecuted in the debate around the views he expressed on gay people, before a meeting with rugby bosses.

The Wallabies superstar has tweeted a Bible verse seemingly alluding to being persecuted for his Christian views.

Folau caused an uproar when he said last week gay people were destined for hell “unless they repent of their sins and turn to God.”

Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle and Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore are set to meet Folau on Tuesday over his use of social media, after the now deleted comment, which contrasts to the pro same sex marriage position of the organisation’s major sponsor Qantas.

A devout Christian, Folau posted to Twitter late on Sunday the Matthew 5 verse stating, “blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.”

Castle last week said RA were treating the matter seriously. “Israel’s comment reflects his personal religious beliefs, however it does not represent the view of Rugby Australia or NSW Rugby,” Castle said in a statement.

“We are aligned in our view that rugby is a game for all, regardless of sexuality, race, religion or gender, which is clearly articulated in rugby’s inclusion policy.

“We understand that Israel’s comment has upset a number of people and we will discuss the matter with him as soon as possible.”

It’s unlikely either side will easily give up their positions but RA and the Waratahs will certainly hope Folau can be persuaded not to continue expressing such a controversial stance publicly.

Folau expressed his support for the ‘no’ campaign during same sex marriage plebiscite voting, while RA was one of a number of sporting bodies to back the successful bid for equality.

Off contract at the end of the year, three times John Eales Medallist Folau has seemingly contravened RA’s inclusion policy.

“There is no place for homophobia or any form of discrimination in our game and our actions and words both on and off the field must reflect this,” the policy states.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Australia has just endured a divisive and hateful campaign by Right Wing Politicians and Clergy. The result was pretty clear and the right to express homophobic dribble has been curtailed. Freedom of speech law in civilised countries (such as ours) is not a licence to peddle hate and intolerance.
    The Goat Herders Guide to the Galaxy was written by ignorant, misogynist Peasants who thought that the Earth was flat, and didn't know where the Sun went at night. With instructions on how to beat your slaves and how to stone your daughters it hardly provides a moral compass for the Twenty First Century.

I do not want Folau anywhere near Rugby League and certainly not anywhere close to my Beloved Titans.

I expect a statement from the club (and probably the NRL as well) distancing themselves from this grandstander.

P.S. According to your own bible, homosexuality did not even make the top ten, whereas Adultery certainly did.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by gcboyz View Post
    Australia has just endured a divisive and hateful campaign by Right Wing Politicians and Clergy. The result was pretty clear and the right to express homophobic dribble has been curtailed. Freedom of speech law in civilised countries (such as ours) is not a licence to peddle hate and intolerance.
    The Goat Herders Guide to the Galaxy was written by ignorant, misogynist Peasants who thought that the Earth was flat, and didn't know where the Sun went at night. With instructions on how to beat your slaves and how to stone your daughters it hardly provides a moral compass for the Twenty First Century.

I do not want Folau anywhere near Rugby League and certainly not anywhere close to my Beloved Titans.

I expect a statement from the club (and probably the NRL as well) distancing themselves from this grandstander.

P.S. According to your own bible, homosexuality did not even make the top ten, whereas Adultery certainly did.
    What a post. I already didn’t want him as to me the days of Marquee Signings for GC Teams have surely been revealed as a failure.

OMG 'boyzie, let's start the day on a high I don't want Folau either on several levels and thumbs up for your ingenious insights into all things celestial and beyond.

I do agree that Folau's comments were ill-thought through but I also think that if he is fairdinkum in his beliefs then he was just expressing his opinion. Whatever it is, for me, I feel if I want to call a cat 'a pussy' or a martian 'an alien' then it's my right to do so and face the consequences. Political correctness and freedom of speech smack of being oxymoronic in the 21st century landscape. So now I'll hop off my soapbox, make a cup of tea, park my not insubstantial derriere on the sofa and put my feet on the old pouff.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Freedom of speech is fine, freedom of hate speech is not. I am comfortable with religion if it gives the faithful some reason to live a life of peace and "goodwill" towards all others.
    However I remain totally intolerant of using the curtain of religion to hide behind, to express hateful and homophobic rants.
    How totally arrogant could any individual be to "thank the Lord" for scoring a try when "Gods chosen people" were deserted and exterminated by the millions during the Holocaust.

Now if only some God fearing person could refer me to the passage in the Bible where the instructions for turning water into wine are I would be most grateful (asking for a friend).

Junior

If the Rugby Union book of rules was as out of touch as the Mormons rule book you would no have a game

Just checking, is it ok to pray to the white bearded guy in the sky when its a close Titans game?

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Just checking, is it ok to pray to the white bearded guy in the sky when its a close Titans game?
    I would suggest that we pray to every known deity simultaneously while adding a bit extra just in case, adhere to every superstition, contribute to every charlatan, stick pins in effigies, burn joss money ... in fact, my question is: aren't you already doing that?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I would suggest that we pray to every known deity simultaneously while adding a bit extra just in case, adhere to every superstition, contribute to every charlatan, stick pins in effigies, burn joss money ... in fact, my question is: aren't you already doing that?
    I sacrifice a chicken to the voodoo king every week. Granted its a bucket of KFC.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Haha of course. If you are serious, I am actually Anglican and known to sometimes attend church. Very nice community actually.

I'm sure before this all blew up we could agree not to sign him related to his age, wage and position. Not sure on his form. I don't watch union. But my favourite thing to do on facebook is to comment on articles about Folau with a "wow I thought he retired years ago?"

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gcboyz View Post
    Be a wise move. Especially after the Hayne misadventure! Gee that hurt the fans.

NRL’s moral fibre will stretch to allow Izzy a return

BEN IKIN

Israel Folau found himself in front of Rugby Australia this week attempting to explain his proclamation that homosexuals will go to hell unless they atone for their sins.

I can’t tell you how badly I wanted in on that meeting, the places you could have taken the conversation. After all, a public statement like Folau’s deserves a commensurate line of questioning.

I’d begin with the rugby related queries of course. If we let you stay, will God help us win the Bledisloe Cup? Can God get involved in our next broadcast rights negotiation?

And there’s no way I could let the discussion go past without unpacking a few philosophical issues. Why does God let bad things happen to good people? Oh yeah, and is God OK with irreverent articles in his name?

Having been enlightened on the big issues you’d then have to move onto the minor detail of his future in the code.

Jokes aside, one thing can’t be denied about Israel Folau: the bloke can play. I still remember the chatter around Folau back when he was a junior coming through at Wavell High School in Brisbane.

Tall, fast, elusive, and a vertical leap that evoked images of Michael Jordan, geez he was good.

Everything Folau did as a youngster he went on to do in the big show. Premierships, State of Origins, internationals, he did it all, and in fine style.

Such was his talent, AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou chose Israel to be the face of the native code in Western Sydney.
    It generated much publicity, just not a whole heap of substance.

But not to worry, Folau was able to shift quickly to a more global strategy: enter rugby union.

Since arriving at the NSW Waratahs in 2013, Folau has been Australian rugby’s highest profile and best performing player.
    That’s why it hurt the 15-man code when he went public with his religious beliefs.

Not only was Folau rugby’s pinup boy, his misstep took place in the age of moral outrage.

In case you missed it, professional sport, like every person on the planet, must now have a stance on every social issue.

From gay marriage to domestic violence or the rights of indigenous Australians, you either take a strong public stand or suffer the public humiliation of being labelled a bigot.

The irony in Folau’s case is that he did take a stand, not one the majority agrees with, but a stand nonetheless.

The question now: will Israel’s comment cause enough grief in the land of moral outrage to diminish his standing in the sporting world?

This is the conundrum currently keeping NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg up at night.

Earlier this year Greenberg said: “I have been pretty consistent over a long period of time in saying I would love to see Israel Folau back in rugby league. He is a highly talented footballer but a very good person as well. If there is a discussion to be had, we’re happy to have it.”

Yesterday he said: “I don’t agree with Israel’s view, despite having a really strong relationship and affection for him as a person and player. All our athletes have to be careful. There are people who will read that and it will be quite damaging to them.”

After all, Greenberg is the CEO of the sporting code that has a float in Sydney’s gay mardi gras and was a strong advocate for the yes vote in the gay marriage debate.

But never fear, despite the NRL’s support of many and varied social causes, they give second, third, and even fifth chances to those that play the game first and foremost … especially if the player is as talented as Israel Folau.

So if Folau does choose rugby league again where does he end up? My first guess would be the Brisbane Broncos.

Brisbane not only have the corporate support to match what would be on offer to Folau in rugby union, Folau’s manager Isaac Moses has a very close working relationship with Broncos’ list manager Peter Nolan.

After that, the Titans have already publicly declared their interest, while the Cowboys are rumoured to be in the market for a high quality outside back. Then there’s that gaping hole left by Semi Radradra at Parramatta.

And what would the successful buyer of this God-fearing winger be getting at the ripe old age of 29?

My colleague at Fox Sports and former Wallaby Brendan Cannon says, “Israel is the best player in his position in world rugby. He’s a brilliant ball runner and without peer in the air. I’d put him in the top five rugby players on the planet.”

Some huge compliments there from Cannon and very alluring for NRL clubs. But when you take into account Folau’s time away from rugby league and his public foray into Christian fundamentalism, I’m not sure the switch will end up as profitable as he thinks.

Wherever it lands be rest assured Israel will be OK, because as God once said: (insert appropriate Bible verse here) ...

Despite the NRL’s support of many and varied social causes, they give second, third, and even fifth chances to those that play the game

http://www.theaustralian.com.au

I'll never forget this bloke turned his back on the game, went to AFL to be used as a weapon against this sport.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I'll never forget this bloke turned his back on the game, went to AFL to be used as a weapon against this sport.

He is just a sportsman who went to play another sport. There is no moral or ethical distinction between the four codes at the highest level that are essentially businesses with one overriding reason for their existence. I just happen to enjoy League more that the others.

I don't necessarily agree with his religious beliefs but they are no more objectionable than the simplistic and often ignorant judgement and belittlement of the millions of people that believe in a creative source of the Universe. People who find purpose and meaning in an increasingly uncertain world racked by, drug abuse, poor mental health, suicude, loneliness, broken families, homelessness and community disconnection etc. Thus endest my sermon....almost....the highest spiritual values to me are humility (we don't know everything) and gratitude.

I for one would be grateful having Izzy catching bombs off the kicking of Taylor.......

Yeah, I have no issue with players challenging themselves in different sports...good luck to them and in 2018 you'd be silly not to explore all options when a professional sports career is a short-term gig that can end at any moment with injury etc. I think it says more about the club taking them onboard than the player themselves as the club is generally taking the more risk.

Re Izzy - I think he's surplus to requirements. Won't comment on his moral compass or religious beliefs. however I don't see how he would fit in to our roster as a player or a personality. He's an amazing talent who is doing great things in union, but I'm comfortable with us being the underdog in QLD without needing to compete for every marquee player and being able to rely on local development supplemented by astute recruitment.