Default Jayden Campbell - Player Discussion

Who is Jayden Campbell? How Preston's son became a Gold Coast Titans NRL player
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

Believers in destiny will say Jayden Campbell’s NRL debut with the Gold Coast Titans was fated. FIND OUT WHY

Like father like son, it was only a matter of time before 21-year-old Jayden followed in the fullback footsteps of Titans great Preston.

But a man who knows the Campbells better than most says it’s hard work, humility and prodigious talent honed all on his own that has propelled the son of a gun to his Gold Coast debut against the Storm on Saturday (Sunshine Coast Stadium, 7.35pm).

Helensvale Hornets president Wayne Court was a guiding hand through Campbell’s fledgling football years.

As a coach and family friend, Court watched him realise the potential that grew hand-in-hand with expectation, as Campbell younger demonstrated all the traits that made his father so great.

His talents were obvious as early as 2009 when Campbell, playing for the Hornets Under-9s, flashed his playmaking potential at halftime of a Titans home game, just minutes after Preston had scored against Canterbury.

Indeed Jayden, 80kg and 183cm, has all the traits of Preston, whose tiny 73kg and 167cm frame enshrined his cult hero status.

“Jayden is a chip off the old block,” Court said.

“He’s always been one of those kids who had the talent – and he’s always had a lot of pressure on him being who he is, the son of Preston.

“I’m really proud of how he’s stood up and handled that and shut out all the noise.

“He’s a lovely kid. One of the most polite, humble, genuine kids you’ll meet. Totally grounded.

“For his ability he has every right to be cocky but he’s not.

“The only person I’ve seen him be cocky around is his old man when they’re at training and mucking around.”

Preston played 105 games and scored 15 tries for the Titans. Widely regarded as the club’s greatest-ever fullback, he remains a much-loved fan favourite on the Gold Coast.

In incumbent fullback AJ Brimson the Titans have a potential heir apparent to the throne – but don’t rule Jayden out, says Court.

“He has all the attributes – freaky skills and ability,” Court said. “His old man told me not long ago he wished he had (Jayden’s) footwork when he was playing.”

“(Jayden is) really proud. With his old man playing there and also being a ball boy, this means a lot to him.

“He’s one of the local juniors who’s grown up (watching the Titans) and will now play there himself.

“I have no doubt he’ll give his heart and soul to (the club).”

Less than three months ago, Campbell made his Intrust Super Cup debut for Tweed.

It took just five games to go from newcomer to matchwinner, when he crossed for a hat-trick against Northern Pride.

He has met every challenge head-on and Court has no doubt Campbell will become an NRL regular.

“How he was going to step up to the next level … was important. But he’s grabbed it with two hands like he does everything.”

TITANIC SHIFT: JAYDEN CAMPBELL TO MAKE COAST CLUB SWITCH - FEBRUARY
    JAYDEN Campbell has been told to cut ties with the Burleigh Bears in favour of Intrust Super Cup rivals Tweed Seagulls as the Gold Coast Titans position the rising star for a starting spot at fullback in the top grade.

Campbell, the son of Titans great Preston Campbell, has played at Burleigh for the past three seasons, including stints in the Mal Meninga Cup and in the Bears’ Rugby League Gold Coast A-Grade side last year.

The Titans have yet to release their Intrust Super Cup allocations to feeder clubs Burleigh and Tweed, however Bears president Damian Driscoll told News Corp that Campbell, 21, had been aligned with Tweed for the upcoming Intrust Super Cup season.

“He’s been allocated to Tweed. Not sure they’ve officially released but it’s no secret. I’m sure Jayden has been told,” he said.

Driscoll said part of the reason Campbell had been sent to play with the Seagulls was the presence of incumbent Bears fullback Kurtis Rowe, who remains one of the premiere number ones in the Queensland Cup and would be tough to displace.

Rowe, 27, scored 15 tries in Burleigh’s 2019 premiership-winning season and has 59 tries in 90 appearances for the Bears.

“Jayden has been at our club three years and made some great mates. I’m sure he didn’t want to leave, but Kurtis Rowe won a grand final as player of the match (and) could have been in 2016 as well,” Driscoll said.

“(Rowe) has earned the right to be our fullback and the Titans want Jayden to play fullback. That’s his pathway. Part of our role (as a feeder club) is that players might have to move to other feeder clubs.”

Tweed’s main options at fullback include Lindon McGrady and Talor Walters, both nailed-on starters who are capable of playing in multiple positions, which would free up Campbell to start at the back.

Campbell’s first minutes opposed to the Bears came on Friday night, when he lined up at fullback for the Titans in the pre-season trial against Burleigh at Pizzey Park.

Though the speedster was not among the tries in the 36-34 loss to the Bears his class shone through, and he did enough to draw praise from Titans coach Justin Holbrook in the post-match.

“We’d take him back 100 per cent if that was ever an option,” Driscoll said.

“He’s still in the players’ WhatsApp group chat – he hasn’t been kicked out (of that yet) and he’s very popular with the boys. He’s a talented player and he’s never been a problem.

“We’ll miss him but understand that he needs to play regularly at fullback at the top level and he’ll have a better chance at Tweed than Burleigh, based on our depth.”

'He's more of a footballer than I am': Preston Campbell's son will be one to watch

From February 1, 2021 - Nic Darveniza

LONG after most Gold Coast Titans had left training on Monday morning, a handful of players remained to smash out their extra work.

Development contract fullback Jayden Campbell was among them and so was his dad, Preston.

The pair practised their running lines, cut-out passes and kicks to each other after training drew to a close.

They’re the scenes that have filled the Campbells’ backyard forever and nothing has changed now they are both contracted to the Titans.

Preston has rejoined the club in a mentoring capacity, providing a score of talented young Titans with a veteran voice to teach them right from wrong – including his own boy.

“It’s good to be back,” the 43-year-old club hero said.

“It did feel a bit strange putting this shirt back on but it didn’t take me long to get back into things.”

His role is broad, from jumping into training drills, ferrying water and tying player’s shoelaces, to teaching players the lore of Gold Coast rugby league.

“It’s always good to have old players come back (to the club),” he said.

“A lot of us know what to do and what not to do as footballers, and with up-and-coming players what comes with that is a lot of stupid.

“What (some young players) don’t have is that mindset that everything is about footwork, teamwork and culture.

“Hopefully that’s what myself and others can bring to get those boys on the straight and narrow.

“People like Justin Holbrook have done an amazing job. He’s got the right people around because the feeling here now is one of respect. The energy is amazing.”

The chance to play an active role in Jayden’s journey is an added bonus.

“I’m happy he’s at the club and as a parent anybody would want their child to do something they love, and Jayden loves rugby league,” he said.

“Rugby league for me was a way to support my family. I saw it as a job from early on, but he genuinely loves the game and loves what it brings.

“He’s more of a footballer than I was and one thing he does bring, like AJ Brimson, is instinct.

“When it comes to talent and skills Jayden has got it.

“He’s excited to get the opportunity to forge a career for himself.“
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

They're great articles thanks DH. The only thing missing now is the "winning feeling" but that will come once these kids mature.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Jayden Campbell dons same jersey as dad in Titans debut
    https://nit.com.au/jayden-campbell-d...-titans-debut/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I bet he'd love to play against Tommy Trbojevic next week. I hope he gets the chance!! He's plenty tough and willing...love the way he plays!

Rookie Reflections: Jayden Campbell
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...yden-campbell/
    The Campbell name needs no introduction in rugby league. Gold Coast Titans fullback Jayden Campbell talks us through his debut in front of his family and facing Turbo. This is his Rookie Reflection.