Marsters leaves family behind for now in rush to resurrect career
https://www.nrl.com/

Mid-season Titans recruit Esan Marsters is ready to prove he belongs in the NRL with the former Kiwi Test centre determined to use his opportunity at the Gold Coast to relaunch his stalled career.

Marsters played just 15 games in one-and-a-half seasons with North Queensland before making a sudden move to the Titans last week where he sat on the bench for the entire 80 minutes in the win over his first club Wests Tigers.

It was a whirlwind week for Marsters, who in the space of a few days found himself emptying his Cowboys locker and grabbing some clothes from home to quickly move to the Gold Coast where he was parachuted immediately into the 17-man squad last Saturday.

Marsters had to leave his wife Isabelle and seven-month-old daughter Giselle back in Townsville to finalise their relocation arrangements but in the meantime he is hopeful he can cement a permanent spot in the Titans starting side to fully capitalise on the chance thrown to him by coach Justin Holbrook.

“It’s been a bit crazy but I’m used to the move. It just happened, that’s footy, it’s my opportunity now to take it with both hands,” Marsters said.

“Hopefully they (family) move down in a couple of weeks and we can find a place here.”

Marsters may get his chance to start for the Titans in Sunday’s clash with Penrith as Beau Fermor is expected to replace suspended star David Fifita in the back row.

The 24-year-old has played six Tests for New Zealand, promoted into the Kiwi side in just his second season of first grade while at the Tigers in 2018.

It’s that sort of form, where he was labelled as one of the brightest young talents in the game, that Marsters wants to try to find at the Titans.

“Obviously coming into the team you always want to try and prove yourself,” Marsters said.

“For myself it’s like a fresh start, I’m just coming in with hunger.

“I really want to come in and play my part in this team and hopefully if I get a run this week I will take it with both hands because opportunities don’t come often but I really want to come in and play some really good footy here.”

Marsters likes what he sees in the Titans' brand of attacking footy. He wants to work closely with Holbrook to take his game back up to the top level.

“It’s been a funny ride for me but that’s footy and you just got to move on I guess,” he said.

“I just need to come in and learn as much as I can. There is so many good players here but there’s a few guys who are injured that were doing a good job for the Titans and I’m just looking forward to coming in and learning off the coaches.”