Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    We have so many people in motion in attack they have nothing left for defense ... we need Tino back and we can’t keep carrying non athletic forwards who turn like the Titanic eg Fifita is a complete liability on the edge in defense. Fermor, Farmer, even Stone are the body shapes we need. And I add they need to have at least a little bit of nouse which is something Proctor’s obviously lacking.
    In regards to Fifita I always felt personally that he is better suited to playing in the 13. Freedom to roam in attack and play what's in front of him and defending up the middle. I think he gets found out by guys like Isaako who have footwork and speed. Tino can hold his own more out wider in defense. Other than a better hooker that really is the only change I would make to the forward pack.

As for last night Holbrook should have given Fifita a rest. TPJ did a number on him and you couls see Fifita physically hurting midway through the second half. A 20 minute break for him at the start of the second half before coming on for the last 20 could have seen Fifita have a bigger impact in the outcome of the match. Broncos made a similar mistake with Haas for a while, constantly playing him for 80, it dulled his effectiveness. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Last edited by Big K; 01-05-21 at 02:49 PM.

Banned

Better hooker
    Mitch rein scored a try

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    Better hooker
    Mitch rein scored a try
    Yeah and? Scott Minto scored tries for us, didn't mean he was a great player. Rein is your weakest link in your spine and forward pack. He is serviceable at best, despite scoring a try offers very little from dummy half in terms of a threat. I look at what the Titans have in Brimson, Taylor and Fogerty, someone like Brandon Smith would take the Titans forward pack and spine to the next level.

Rep Player

If you watched Sami and Don last night there was never going to be a 2 on 1 as they both dance and jink but most importantly cut in. They can’t defend, they can’t attack. Is it the best we have? Proctor can’t break the line, he can’t defend. Taylor can’t control the team, can’t defend well, can’t kick. Fogharty can’t put up an attacking kick to save ourselves. We bleed yards up the middle. How the hell di we ever fix this. As long as I’ve supported the club. There has always been sub par backs, timid halves and edge forwards taking the piss. When does this ever change?

Banned

Someone call Tyrone Roberts
    He was heaps better

Hell no to Tyrone roberts, he couldn’t tackle a teddy bear to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    We have so many people in motion in attack they have nothing left for defense ... we need Tino back and we can’t keep carrying non athletic forwards who turn like the Titanic eg Fifita is a complete liability on the edge in defense. Fermor, Farmer, even Stone are the body shapes we need. And I add they need to have at least a little bit of nouse which is something Proctor’s obviously lacking.
    Just on players in motion...how bloody fit are the panthers? They swarm in both attack and defence. They seem to have numbers everywhere. Mobility, desire, tenacity, aggression and skill. That's the target we need to aim for.

On Fifita...if he's a liability in defence on the edge, where do we play him? Do we bring a million dollar player off the bench? Do we use him in the middle as a battering ram? A prop with his footwork would be a welcome addition. I guess we signed him knowing full well that he is an attacking juggernaut...but can go missing a little when things get tough. Can that be coached out of him?

Would Fifita/Peachey be our fastest forwards?? Fermor had some toe last year, but he's bulked up.

Agree 100% on body shapes. The players you mentioned would blend right in in a side like the panthers. (Please note; I'm not very fond of the panthers...but they are the benchmark imo)

Not trying to be a smart ****, mate. I genuinely do value/respect your opinion and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Inactive User

All these blokes can tackle. We saw it late last year. It was dynamic and connected and hard.
    Something is amiss mentally.

Could it be as simple as...the 5 in a row last year was against strugglers, and the wins this year the same??

Round 1 we lost to the warriors who are a handful.

Round 2 we beat the still struggling bronco's 28 - 16

Round 3 we smashed an out of form cowboys 44 - 8

Round 4 we lost 20 - 4 to the raiders

Round 5 we beat an out of form knights 42 - 16

Since then...we kickstarted manly's season and pushed, then capitulated to souths and broncos.

The cold hard truth may be that we simply don't have the quality...(or team selections are off) to mix it with the top sides for 80 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    All these blokes can tackle. We saw it late last year. It was dynamic and connected and hard.
    Something is amiss mentally.
    Yep. Same players were a reasonable defensive side the back end of last year. Even early this year we were ok for the most part. Last 3 weeks the wheels have fallen off for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Could it be as simple as...the 5 in a row last year was against strugglers, and the wins this year the same??

Round 1 we lost to the warriors who are a handful.

Round 2 we beat the still struggling bronco's 28 - 16

Round 3 we smashed an out of form cowboys 44 - 8

Round 4 we lost 20 - 4 to the raiders

Round 5 we beat an out of form knights 42 - 16

Since then...we kickstarted manly's season and pushed, then capitulated to souths and broncos.

The cold hard truth may be that we simply don't have the quality...(or team selections are off) to mix it with the top sides for 80 minutes.
    We got touched up by the Broncos and on our current defensive form would probably get shown up by anyone. I don’t think it’s just the top sides we aren’t good enough to compete with.

In 2021 I think we’ve improved our ability to score points, but dramatically regressed in our ability to defend points. And that’s against any team. We need a better roster to compete with the big teams for sure but the current crop aren’t performing anywhere near where they need to be defensively regardless of opposition.

If we were defending like we were last year (including versus top teams like the Roosters and Penrith), with our offensive improvements this year, we’re a competitive top 8 side. Unfortunately the first part of that equation hasn’t transpired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    We got touched up by the Broncos and on our current defensive form would probably get shown up by anyone. I don’t think it’s just the top sides we aren’t good enough to compete with.

In 2021 I think we’ve improved our ability to score points, but dramatically regressed in our ability to defend points. And that’s against any team. We need a better roster to compete with the big teams for sure but the current crop aren’t performing anywhere near where they need to be defensively regardless of opposition.

If we were defending like we were last year (including versus top teams like the Roosters and Penrith), with our offensive improvements this year, we’re a competitive top 8 side. Unfortunately the first part of that equation hasn’t transpired.
    I get what you're saying, but last year our defence wasn't that great. With those games you mention...we lost to the roosters 18 - 12 and lost to the panthers 22 - 14. Those games were defensively better, compared to many others.

Round 1 - lost 24 - 6 against raiders.
    Round 2 - lost 46 - 6 against eels
    Round 3 - lost 36 - 6 against cowboys
    Round 5 - lost 32 - 12 against souths
    Round 6 - lost 20 - 12 against dragons
    Round 8 - lost 40 - 10 against sharks
    Round 10 - lost 42 - 6 against storm
    Round 14 - lost 30 - 18 against sharks
    Round 15 - lost 36 - 16 against raiders

Then we hit our streak...

We beat the knights 36 - 6 (who finished 7th and busted)
    We beat the dragons 14 - 10 (who finished 12th)
    We beat the manly 42 - 24 (who finished 13th)
    We beat the bulldogs 18 - 14(who finished 15th)
    We beat the broncos 18 - 6 (who finished 16th)

Our attack improved in our last two games last year against manly and knights...and that may have tricked us a little into thinking we had improved defensively...but our defence is still a problem.

So, I guess it comes down to a couple of things. Is it the quality of players regarding choices made in defence? Or is it simply attitude? Or is it the coaching?
    Last edited by Menoitios; 03-05-21 at 07:30 AM.