Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Round 6: MANLY vs TITANS

MANLY vs TITANS
    Saturday, 27 April 2021, Glen Willow Oval, Mudgee
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hope Turbo sits out another game or two

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Hope Turbo sits out another game or two
    After the way he came back from injury against us last year in sure he will haha

Inactive User

Great opportunity for us this game to consolidate a nice ladder position.
    Any injuries or reports for Manly on Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Great opportunity for us this game to consolidate a nice ladder position.
    Any injuries or reports for Manly on Friday?
    Sounds like Tom Turbo will be back but Walker and Gosiewski are both out injured

Just in case we needed a reminder on how much we hate him

Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans doesn’t regret knocking back the resurgent Gold Coast ahead of Titans clash
    Daly Cherry-Evans has come a long way since he reneged on the Gold Coast ahead of Saturday’s clash against the resurgent Titans in Mudgee.

Matt Logue
    NCA NewsWire
    APRIL 12, 20212:05PM

Daly Cherry-Evans revealed criticism of his form motivated him to prove a point against the Warriors. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

Six years after reneging on the Gold Coast, Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans will face the resurgent Titans on Saturday knowing he has come a long way with his public perception following the infamous backflip, even though he concedes that everyone won’t like him.

After his last-second field goal heroics against the Warriors, Cherry-Evans confronts the Titans, the team he turned his back on back in 2015 when he agreed to a four-year deal before opting to stay at the Sea Eagles on a lifetime eight-year contract.

The decision to knock back the Gold Coast prompted heavy criticism about his integrity and reputation, but he has worked hard to change how people view him.

Cherry-Evans regularly appears in the media to showcase his likeable personality, while his successful rise as Queensland Origin skipper has also shone a positive light on him as a person.

“It has been a massive turnaround when I look back at my career and I guess the perception that I’ve had cast over me,” Cherry Evans said.

“It has changed. It started nicely, went a bit sour and then suddenly more often than not, people know who I am.

“Not everyone has to like me, I don’t intend on that being the case, but people know who I am and what I stand for.

“They know a lot more about me and with that all that other stuff has just gone away.”

But there is one thing that Cherry-Evans won’t cop – criticism like he received from former premiership-winning Cronulla hooker Michael Ennis.

The retired No 9 hit out at the Manly captain on Fox Sports following his Sea Eagles’ winless start to the season, claiming the club should part ways with their star playmaker because he isn’t producing to warrant his $1m pay packet.

Cherry-Evans revealed the condemnation motivated him to prove a point and revive the Sea Eagles’ season with his matchwinning field goal against the Warriors, even though he didn’t like to listen to outside noise.

“But you know it’s there,” he said.

“I never take it too personally when people talk about my footy because how I play is always going to be subjective.

“Not everyone is going to like how I play. Even when I play well, some people don’t like how I play.

“It’s only ever the time when your character gets tested. They are the ones where you go, ‘you know what, I’ve got to do something about this’.

“People close to me that always want to help and support me said it is not even about your footy anymore, people are just questioning you.

“When it becomes personal, that is when it does become motivation.

“Certainly, last Friday night, I took it personally and wanted to just make sure that if anyone is doubting me within this club, then I need to show them that I’m committed to this club.”

On Saturday, Cherry-Evans takes on a Gold Coast side that has rebuilt into a premiership force.

The Titans are surging upwards in seventh position while the Sea Eagles are struggling in second last.

Cherry-Evans, though, isn’t concerned.

“People will always look at it (the Gold Coast renege), but I don’t think they ever look at it with my shoes on,” he said.

“I’ve maintained through the whole thing that I never lost sleep over it because the sole purpose of those decisions were to benefit myself and my family, not to benefit anyone else.

“But it is great to see the Titans are really charging forward, and they’ve obviously recruited really well in the off-season.”

As Maroons captain, Cherry-Evans is particularly happy to see the Gold Coast sign fellow Queensland Origin teammates Tino Faasuamaleaui and David Fifita despite facing the mammoth task of trying to stop them in Mudgee this weekend.

“David and Tino are great and could potentially be some really strong players for Queensland over the next 10 years,” he said.

“So, on the other hat, I’m really excited to see them at the Titans and playing well for Queensland.

“I’ve played with them both, so I know first-hand how damaging they are but also going up against them this weekend I know that I’m going to need help because doing one-on-one will be difficult.”

With apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis ... let the boys loose on the long-necked goose, oh baby that's what I'd like.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

In the words of Currumbin Tommy R-“Smash him. Just smash him.”

This blooody dce what a clown. Can we send Fifita down his way this whole game?!

On a serious note, hope the team has stopped celebrating and is focused on this game. We cannot lost to teams like Manly if we want to make finals this year. We need to turn into a ruthless team that dominates the lower ranked teams (let's not forgot they beat the Warriors albeit some missing players, but we are yet to do that).

It is not possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Inactive User

The travel for us to and from this game will be a huge pain in the butt.
    I imagine it will be a flight to Sydney and then a fairly long bus ride.

I don't get DCE at all. He worries about the comments made by Ennis...so he takes a moral stance...and that drove him to lift his game and chase hard for the win against the warriors. What sort of a leader does that make him?? He should have been driving hard from game one, which was Ennis' point.

Then he says he never lost any sleep during his backflip saga. His decisions were based on what was good for his family. Again...WTF??? The amount of disgusting, foul, sickening, hate fuelled, borderline psychotic threats and abuse he and his family received on social media from manly fans at the time he agreed to terms with the Titans, should have made the decision to leave even easier. Anyone else would have.

No Chez...I don't buy your account of the win on the weekend. You don't get upset when people attack you or your family. You don't get upset when people attack your poor form. You react when your pay packet is mentioned.

The stories floating around about manly starting to wonder about DCE and the Trbojevic brothers $$$ more than likely drove your form too.

Honestly...DCE is a talent, but if it is only money that can motivate him...I'm glad we dodged that bullet.

Nobody seems worried about this game........ I am.

I'm worried the players will get sucked into the whole "Turbo's back" hype the media are pushing. They did the same last week with Ponga.

I reckon Holly will have everyone's minds on the job though. I still can't wait for the day we can approach a game with a confident of a win attitude. I guess uncertainty is etched into our psyche.

We'll get there though

I’m very concerned about every game ... 3/5 is great but we’ve been blessed with other teams injuries and the draw so far. I subscribe to the “improve during the season” theory so am happy enough with our progress and that Manly don’t have AFB. I’m hoping to see improvement in our goal line defense and Peachey going forward not sideways.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.