Default Professional RL comes to North America

LINK: https://www.narugbyleague.com

New North American league will include Ottawa, Toronto teams
    https://ottawasun.com/

In a shocking turn of events, the Ottawa Aces and Toronto Wolfpack will be part of the new 14-team North American Rugby League, which was introduced Wednesday.

Twelve teams from the U.S. will play in the new league this season, with the Aces and the Wolfpack joining full-time in 2022. The Aces and Wolfpack will play a Canada Cup competition against each other later this year.

The Aces were supposed to enter European-based Rugby Football League’s Betfred League 1 this year. Because of complications related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Aces had postponed their entry into the transatlantic league for a year. The Aces haven’t given up on League 1, but were quick to jump on an offer to join the North American league. The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL. It’s possible sometime in the future they could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL.

“With RFL, there are questions,” said Aces president Eric Perez. “When are we going to travel over there? It could happen next year … or the year after. Right now, that’s in flux. This league is not in flux.”

The Wolfpack was kicked out of the RFL’s Super League late last year. But the team will push ahead funded by a private investor group which has purchased its intellectual assets. There is no connection to the previous ownership group.

Teams from across the U.S. will compete in two conferences —the East Coast Conference with the Atlanta Rhinos, Boston Thirteens, Brooklyn Kings, Cleveland Rugby League, New York Rugby League and Washington Cavalry and the West Coast Conference with the Austin Armadillos, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Venom, Portland Loggers, San Diego Swell and San Francisco Rush. The NARL will play its first round of games on June 19 in Brooklyn and June 20 in Las Vegas. Due to COVID-19 regulations, games will be played in a single-venue style that will see all teams in their respective conference play in one stadium on one day, with no fans.

“I’m delighted to introduce the North America Rugby League to rugby league fans around the world in what we firmly believe is the next big evolutionary step for Rugby League,” said Robert Curtis, the NARL head of operations. “The NARL is the culmination of years of research and market testing and has been designed to bring you the hardest hitting, fastest and most exciting sport on the planet. It’s time to get excited about a new class of contact sport.”

Perez said he was contacted by the new league in late December.

“We weren’t looking for this, they came to us and wanted us in,” said Perez. “There was no hesitation when they told me the business plan, the cities involved, the commercial deals they’re putting together. They’re going to be a big player.”

Perez hailed the birth of the league as “revolutionary” for the sport.

“This is the biggest thing that’s happened to rugby in North America,” he said. “To this point, the Wolfpack (to Super League) had been the biggest thing. This has taken over. It’s a proper professional league in real markets and hopefully we’ll be the best team in it. I think this could rival Super League very soon. Within five to 10 years, we could be the best rugby league in the northern hemisphere.

“(The Aces) launched (last March) and two days later the world was engulfed in coronavirus. All sports stopped. Our entire existence has been during the pandemic. The fact this is able to happen during that is big. It ensures our future stability. I knew if I stuck with this thing, it’d be worth it.”

The NARL is hoping to add to its Canadian content, hoping for future expansion into areas like Montreal, Vancouver and somewhere in Atlantic Canada.

While the two Canadian sides won’t enter the East Coast Conference until 2022, they will begin building rosters in the next few months, with a Canada Cup competition – maybe in August at TD Place – with no fans.

Said Perez: “Why even mess around wondering if we can have a crowd or not? Let’s just do it without fans. It’s really more an opportunity for us to pick our team.”

Of the Aces’ 25-man squad, 15-18 players could be Canadians. There will also be a few elite international players.

“Seventy-five per cent of our team will be Canadian, hopefully most of them will be local,” said Perez. “That was something that wasn’t going to happen with the RFL team. This is an opportunity for local guys. We couldn’t have played many locals the other way around. I think people in Ottawa will love this, it’s huge.”

“We want to see the sport really take root across Canada and are determined to help showcase Canadian athletic and sporting talent on the field in an effort to do so,” said Aces GM Gareth Reid. “We will be picking up our recruitment efforts immediately and want to make Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec a major hotbed of Canadian Rugby League and talent development.”

Aces head coach Laurent Frayssinous will head to Ottawa in time for the team’s tryouts, which could be in July. Players will be chosen, then the coach will work with them leading into the Canada Cup against the Wolfpack.

“I am very excited to see the expansion of the sport,” said Frayssinous. “The North American sporting market is immense. We have seen big crowds to watch professional Rugby League in Canada and no doubt they will continue to grow. I am really looking forward to identifying and working with some exceptional athletes for this new and exciting project.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Attached Images Attached Images

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

As a Boston 13s fan. I love their branding. And a Wolfpack fan. I'm excited and hopeful. At least I can still wear the WP gear I have.

Inactive User

Count me out until LA have a team

Fantastic news for rugby league and hopefully it gets plenty of support from both American and Australian fans.

Now just need to pick a team - I'm torn between the Brooklyn Kings and the Wolfpack.

Last edited by DIEHARD; 02-04-21 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Count me out until LA have a team
    So Cali RL have blasted onto the scene in a big way over the last year. They are doing their own thing.

NARL appeared but the footprint doesn't take in LA or their cities. So it looks like they have left the door open to them.

https://california-rl.com/ Their social media has been really good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Fantastic news for rugby league and hopefully it gets plenty of support from both American and Australian fans.

Now just need to pick a team - I'm torn between the Brooklyn Kings and the Wolfpack.
    I'm just.... I haven't been this excited since 2005-2007 and the Titans coming in. And the 2008 World Cup.

This really is make or break, so your support will be needed.

I already have a couple Toronto Wolfpack jerseys and I'm delighted to see them resurrected. Feels right.

So they are one of my teams.

Then we have EAST and WEST conferences. I'm going for Boston 13s who have an amazing logo and brand story. Plus my name is Brad so I like the letter B. And I was born on Friday the 13th... so come on Boston 13s!

On the WESTSIDE, all the sides are new. So they'll need support. I'm think San Francisco Rush.

How good are some of the other names? LV Black Jacks. Phoenix Venom. Cleveland are interesting, their logo is actually a guitar pick!

I think this can work if it's sustainable and has funding. And it allows rugby league to show itself off.

PACK IS BACK
    https://www.torontowolfpack.com/

Your Toronto Wolfpack is back and under the guidance of a new private investor group who have purchased the intellectual property assets. There is no tie to the previous ownership and our owners are now simply “Team Wolfpack”.

We will focus on our fans, our team and the City of Toronto not the ownership team. As of today, our decision is to play rugby league in North America this will hopefully make all our future games more accessible and affordable to everybody who wants to be a part of our journey.

Our season together starts this year as we are proud to announce we have joined the new North American Rugby League “NARL”. Where we will be playing some amazing teams in some awesome cities across North America creating some great new rivalries.

NARL has the full support of the Canada Rugby League Association “CRLA”, chairman Bob Jowett had this to say “The formation of a North American professional Rugby League competition has long been discussed and is considered to be a key progression for the sport. For such a competition to grow and thrive it is essential that strong links are built with grassroots organizations developing community Rugby League. A condition for teams to join the NARL is for them to support grassroots development. This being the case, the NARL not only offers opportunities for players, player and coach development, and the Americas national teams (including the Canada Ravens and Canada Wolverines) it also promises to significantly help with growth of grassroots Rugby League. As a result, the CRLA is fully supportive of the NARL and looks forward to working with the organization to maximize grassroots development including non-traditional versions of the sport such as CANTAG (non-contact), Masters, Wheelchair, Physical Disability in addition to Women’s, Men’s and Junior Rugby League.”

While we will not erase any of the fantastic, historic and positive achievements of Wolfpack, Team Wolfpack promises that together we will make new great memories on our journey together.

The team has a lot to do putting together the front and back office, but we will keep everybody up to date on a regular basis via social media.

For Media Enquiries please email info@torontowolfpack.com

Regards

Team Wolfpack

Really looking forward to this, I hope it can be a focus for everyone working to develop/grow footy in the USA and Canada.It has been so fractured in the past.

More than anything I'm interested to see how the Wolfpack and Ottawa grow.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    Really looking forward to this, I hope it can be a focus for everyone working to develop/grow footy in the USA and Canada.It has been so fractured in the past.

I know exactly what you mean. One good connection I've found is Nate who has been running the Rugby League in America podcast for a few years. He has been talking about and supporting the game in the USA. He is an American who fell in love with our game. And he has been doing some commentating too.

He is about to do a big podcast with the Chasing Roos. I'll post it when it's up.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNIvPT6...2hWJSWyo6q92fc - He posted a fantastic 15min adlib video today on insta. If you have a log in, I highly recommend it. I think you'll like the guy.
    https://soundcloud.com/rugbyleagueinamerica

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    As Gold Coast fans, we know what it's like to have lost a club we love. And we know what its like to be under threat.

I was heartbroken to see what happened with the WP. I bought some jerseys and a membership and paid to stream games.

I'm happy to see the chance for all those fans to return. And hopefully Ottawa can be inspired too.

Yesterday was one of my happiest days in Rugby League in over a decade. Combined in that is the coming 17th team for the NRL and possible 18th. And the Titans coming to life.

Wow. Sometimes Rugby League surprises me.

The Penrith Panthers have partnered with the NARL's Cleveland team.

And they even got their players to make a shout out video. It warms my heart and brings a tear to the eye.

https://twitter.com/PenrithPanthers/...12295784554496