Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Tough loss but I think it proves exactly where we are as a club. We aren’t quite a top 4 side that can get the better of the likes of the Raiders, Bunnies, Storm, Panthers etc but we should well and truly be a side sitting 6th-8th on the table if we can keep the effort and intensity up.

Titans sides of years gone by would have folded and lost that game by 30 but we stuck strong with troops missing and I think all of us can be proud of the heart shown. A few dumb errors and blown tries were possibly the difference but we are no doubt a better and improved side which will be on the up if we can sort some small basics out.

Watching the game live we were the better side for the first half outmuscled them physically just couldn't finish our halves are the issue and our outside backs lack strike and X factor we need someone like spry or gl with Kelly back who can break a tackle and come up with something from nothing. Halves need to get aj more involved. If Don or rein scores Early on we probably win that game, good signs that were not far off a top eight team alot better then this time last year can't complain too much

QLD Cup

I’m looking forward to seeing the reshuffle in the outside backs next week. For me, Sami is a better centre than a winger but needs to go back to Cup and focus on some key basics to the position. He struggles to set up his outside man at times and nearly blew that try to Thompson by running him out of space and passing at the wrong time. Dons time in the NRL should be up also. I can give home the benefit of the doubt on the first try attempt but the second should be scored 10 times out of 10. He only had 5min to run and his body position was all wrong. Against the top teams it is hard to create opportunities but when you Don you need to capitalise. I really hope Spry or GL gets a run and Holbrook doesn’t just bunt Sami to the wing.

I tend to agree with the earlier comments around AJ also. The difference between him and Teddy/Pappy is that he isn’t in around the ball as often and when there is offloads. We made many offloads yesterday but nothing came of them. I’m not sure if it because of the shape that we are trying to play and he’s already setting up for the next play but I’d like to see him more involved as the season goes on.

There we some pretty uncharacteristic errors in the game that you wouldn’t expect every week. The key turning point was the injuries and reshuffle though. Based on that performance I’d expect us to put away the Knights next week, but that will depend on how our halves look.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Tough loss but I think it proves exactly where we are as a club. We aren’t quite a top 4 side that can get the better of the likes of the Raiders, Bunnies, Storm, Panthers etc but we should well and truly be a side sitting 6th-8th on the table if we can keep the effort and intensity up.

Titans sides of years gone by would have folded and lost that game by 30 but we stuck strong with troops missing and I think all of us can be proud of the heart shown. A few dumb errors and blown tries were possibly the difference but we are no doubt a better and improved side which will be on the up if we can sort some small basics out.
    Agree totally with this. This time last year we would have been flogged.

Inactive User

20-4 is still a comprehensive defeat. Canberra will be feeling pretty happy with themselves today.

Like others have already said on here...with Rein almost scoring, Don's two attempts, the 50/50 calls that went against us, the injuries and reshuffles...I think we did OK. The win would have been better, obviously. The raiders try line defence/desperation was way better than ours...but it's still only round 4. Plenty of games left to improve.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ayWoeWyG2tg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Losing sucks but it’s a different kind of deflation because we actually have some expectation around the team this year, which is a good thing.

Tino was immense. Fifita is showing he doesn’t clock off against tough opposition and his defence has improved dramatically (thanks Dymock). Thompson once again showing his worth and I thought Patty Herbert was good too..he plays tough, has a strong carry and is high energy. Competes well on the little things.

Really disappointed but not surprised that Peachey again has multiple blunders and overplays his hand against quality opposition...he’s an entirely different player depending on who we’re playing.

Agree with the sentiment on Don. Thompson would’ve iced both of those. Not sure who gets the nod but wouldn’t be surprised if Sami ends up there.

All in all we’re still improving and were certainly competitive. Not too unhappy despite the loss.

I also wonder if a large home crowd would have made any difference?

Onwards and upwards! Hopefully the injuries aren't as bad as they appeared.

We were gone when Fogarty went off. I really think Peachey should be coming off the bench. Thought we defended quite well but too many errors and needed to convert chances. It'll be good to see a backline that doesn't consist of Don's powerless runs each set. Looking for a big game against the knights, hopefully a repeat of our last round game last year against them.
    Bring back Kevin Gordon

Eh, disappointed but not surprised by the result, Canberra win that game 7/10 times and all the injuries didn't help our cause at all.

After 4 rounds we're probably where we are supposed to be, Warriors loss most disappointing but that's easily chalked up to combinations and breaking the new guys in the jersey.

I'm not worried about much this early on, we should, by default be higher than 10th on the ladder thanks to some disturbingly bad outfits in Brisbane, NQ, St George, Manly, CBB and Wests as tradition while we have more than enough firepower to be a bottom of the 8 team, which, this early in the Holbrook era is fine with me.

As for the game. I was frustrated at the lack of Fifita and Brimson involvement late, instead of deferring to these guys who look more and more like cheat codes every time they are involved in attack, we instead went to Boyd for a short side bomb or Peachey for a whatever the f he likes to do. But for the most part, we looked super deadly at times while Canberra had some of the most miracle one-on-one strip plays you'll see in one game. We are really seeing what this team will look like when it figures it out against these contender teams.

Don out is probably a good thing now, I also wonder if it would be a possibility to move Brimson to the 6 and CT to 1 short-term to have AJ on the ball more?, Could really load up on metre eaters at the back in CT, Herbert/Spry/Marzhew untill Ash comes back. Fair play to Tanah for the effort but he didn't offer anything as a starter last night.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 04-04-21 at 11:35 AM.

First Grader

Depending on Fogarty ( who hasn’t played to what he did last year) maybe move Tanah to half, AJ to 5/8 and Corey to fullback

Inactive User

I’m having nasty flashbacks to the Garth era with these posts.
    AJ must always wear the #1 jersey.

Round 4 charges: Fine for Lisone

Titans interchange forward Sam Lisone has been hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge following the Gold Coast's 20-4 loss to Canberra on Saturday but will escape suspension.

Lisone faces a fine of $1700-$2250 for making dangerous contact to the head and neck of Raiders fullback Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad in the 33rd minute of last night's match.

No plea has been entered at the time of writing.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...ne-for-lisone/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’m having nasty flashbacks to the Garth era with these posts.
    AJ must always wear the #1 jersey.
    Totally agree. AJ is our 1 and we should remember what we were like without him or with him at 6 ... there is no need for knee jerk reactions.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

We may see Holbrook giving Toby Sexton his debut. He can play 6 or 7, although Boyd /Sexton combo in the halves is a rookie gamble.