Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

No worries for Lisone as he prepares for Cowboys clash
    http://www.Titans.com.au

Not much seems to worry Sam Lisone.

Asked if the downpour of rain on the Gold Coast which has flooded the Titans training field has upset preparations for the round three game against the Cowboys, the Gold Coast never missed a beat.

"Justin and them (the high performance staff) planned ahead," he smiled.

With sessions moved indoors and to Cbus Super Stadium this week, Lisone was quick to acknowledge the work done at the Titans home venue.

"Cbus (Super Stadium) is in good nick," he said.

"The groundsmen there have done a good job."

Into his second season on the Gold Coast, the 27-year-old says he's now a local.

"I'm settled now and I know my way around," he said.

"I've moved out of Labrador and I'm in Broadbeach now.

"I've got Joe Vuna here and my missus, so it's good now."

After coming off the bench in the Titans first two games, Lisone was called out by co-captain Kevin Proctor for bringing energy and shifting the momentum when he comes onto the bench.

"The game has picked up pretty fast and I'm enjoying it and just trying to do my bit for the team," Lisone said.

"Whether that's the 10 minutes before the half or after it's all good, just wherever the team needs me.

With Moeaki Fotuaika and Jarrod Wallace locking down the starting positions in the front row, Lisone says he's happy playing his role

"They're (Fotuaika and Wallace) travelling pretty good and starting the games off pretty good.

"Me and (Jaimin) Jolliffe are coming on then, so it doesn't really matter if you're in the starting 13 or you're (number) 15, you've just got to do your bit for the team."

After two physical clashes against the Warriors and Broncos packs to start the season, Lisone says the forwards will be looking to lead from the front as the Titans travel to Townsville to take on the Cowboys.

"We'll be preparing to take the same game and hopefully play through the middle and lay the platform for our backs."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Morgan is out for the cowboys.. so better for us!

LeagueUnlimited Cowboys v Titans preview
    https://leagueunlimited.com/news/355...itans-preview/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Morgan is out for the cowboys.. so better for us!
    Coen Hess in doubt as well

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Coen Hess in doubt as well
    Hess scares me. He’s had a few blinders against us.

Also read somewhere we haven’t won in Townsville since 2012 and the cowboys have beat us 11 out of 12 games ,Which is a bit alarming hope the boys are ready .

Quote Originally Posted by gothabull View Post
    Also read somewhere we haven’t won in Townsville since 2012 and the cowboys have beat us 11 out of 12 games ,Which is a bit alarming hope the boys are ready .
    Hopefully we can turn it around like we have slowly turned Broncos v Titans stats.

Round 3: League Unlimited magazine https://leagueunlimited.com/assets/U...f?d=1616559169

#NRLCowboysTitans

MATCH DETAILS
    DATE Sunday 28 March 2021
    KICKOFF 5:15pm AEST (6:15pm AEDT)
    VENUE Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville, QLD
    WATCH Fox League & Kayo Sports
    LISTEN ABC Sport, Triple M (Sydney and Brisbane)
    LIVE BLOG LeagueUnlimited.com

MATCH OFFICIALS
    REFEREE Peter GOUGH
    TOUCH JUDGES Ziggy PRZEKLASA-ADAMSKI Wyatt RAYMOND
    NRL BUNKER Alan SHORTALL

Match Stats
    HEAD TO HEAD: 25 MATCHES
    North Qld 16 Gold Coast 8 Draws 0

At QLD Country Bank Stadium: 1 matches, North Qld 1, Gold Coast 0

LAST TEN: NORTH QUEENSLAND 9-1
    SEASON ROUND RESULT VENUE CROWD
    2015 R26 North Qld 42-12 1300Smiles 16,977
    2016 R26 North Qld 32-16 1300Smiles 21,495
    2017 R4 North Qld 32-26 Cbus Super 17,647
    2017 R13 North Qld 20-8 1300Smiles 14,612
    2018 R7 North Qld 26-14 1300Smiles 12,885
    2018 R25 North Qld 30-26 Cbus Super 26,681
    2019 R8 North Qld 28-14 1300Smiles 10,655
    2019 R12 North Qld 6-4 Cbus Super 11,226
    2020 R3 North Qld 36-6 QLD Country Bank -
    2020 R13 Gold Coast 30-10 Cbus Super 5,646

BIGGEST WINS
    2015 26 North Qld 42-12 1300Smiles 16977
    2020 3 North Qld 36-6 QLD Country Bank -
    2020 13 Gold Coast 30-10 Cbus Super 5,646

Just got back from the Raiders v Warriors game. Jeez if the Raiders are as poor as they were today, we might have a good chance next week

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Just got back from the Raiders v Warriors game. Jeez if the Raiders are as poor as they were today, we might have a good chance next week
    Or will it wake them up?

What a game. Do you match it to many Raiders matches?

Rare air: Thompson welcomes weekly challenge
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...ekly-challenge

itans winger Corey Thompson is backing his vertical leap and attack on the ball to deal with the weekly threat of aerial attacks from taller rivals.

The 178cm Thompson successfully negated the 194cm Xavier Coates in last week’s win over Brisbane but knows he is going to be continually targeted by opposition playmakers looking to exploit his height disadvantage.

"I like to think I’ve got a pretty good vertical leap seeing as those the other wingers are pretty tall," Thompson told NRL.com

"I just try to jump as high as I can and compete and make it as hard as possible for them to catch the ball cleanly.

"I’m not too fussed on the cross-field kicks. I know it’s going to come during the game and when it comes I will just jump up as high as I can and make it a messy contest."

The NRL’s new rules which forbid defenders tackling the attacker in mid-air has made a winger’s job harder, but Thompson knows how to get a result.

He remembers watching Bulldogs point-scoring great Hazen El Masri navigate the aerial minefield with his fist during his illustrious career, but punching the ball over the dead-ball line is not part of his own bag of tricks when dealing with bombs.

"I try to jump up and catch it. It’s pretty dangerous to try and hit it while it’s in the air," he said.

"Especially now with the new rules you can’t wrap them up when they jump so you’ve sort of got to jump up and contest it and make it hard for them and do your best."

Thompson is relieved he won’t be marking one of the game’s most talented and freakish try scorers in Kyle Feldt this week, with the Cowboys winger suspended and replaced by 22-year-old Murray Taulagi.

Taulagi (189cm) still boasts a significant height advantage over Thompson, but the Titan is confident his side can carry the momentum from last week into Sunday’s clash with North Queensland in Townsville.

"I always try to prepare like they’re the best winger in the world and I have to try [to] stop them," Thompson said.

"They’ve [the Cowboys] got such quality players and it’s always dangerous preparing for a team that the media and people on the outside say are struggling.

“To get the win in round two against the Broncos was a great way to come back after a loss but it obviously means nothing if we go out with a poor performance this week against the Cowboys."

Video Preview: Cowboys v Titans - Round 3
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/26/...ans---round-3/
    The Titans boast the only win by a Queensland team so far in 2021 and will look to entrench their north-of-the-border dominance against the Cowboys after disposing of Brisbane in round two

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    They were down to 1 on the bench before half time so I think they played a great game. I am very nervous about the bounce back.

TANAH TOLD TO MIRROR ‘ALFIE’
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

Tanah Boyd will replace injured Coast half Ash Taylor.

TANAH Boyd cuts a striking similarity to Broncos legend Allan Langer and Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has urged his new five-eighth to play like “Alfie’’.

Boyd has been elevated to the NRL for the first time this year to replace injured Gold Coast No.6 Ash Taylor (broken hand) in Sunday’s clash against North Queensland in Townsville.

It will be Boyd’s third starting appearance in the NRL in his 16th game for the Titans after being used as a bench utility last year.

Boyd was a schoolboys star, coming through the famed Keebra Park nursery on the Gold Coast alongside Queensland Origin gun and Titans teammate David Fifita.

With his blond hair and short, stocky stature, Boyd has earned visual comparisons with famous Broncos halfback Langer.

Boyd came through Brisbane’s development system before joining the Titans. Now 20, Boyd has the opportunity to play at least a few games alongside halfback Jamal Fogarty while Taylor is sidelined and Holbrook wants him to play to his strengths.

“He’s been a half coming through and that’s his preferred position,” Holbrook said.

“He’s had a great pre-season and has been itching for an opportunity. He gets one this weekend and I’m happy for him. He is a great young guy and trainer.

“His running game (is his strength), he is such a good runner of the ball.

“We’ve all seen with the fast-paced game that can be a real bonus for us. He is really quick. I want to watch him run the ball.

“There’s no substitute for speed and Tanah’s got lots of it. That’s a real strength of his game and what we want.

“When you ask what we want from him, it’s to do what he does well and speed is a big part of his game.”

While Langer remains one of the game’s great playmakers, he also had a tremendous ability to sneak through opposition defences.

The Cowboys are yet to record a win after two rounds and will be missing co-captains Michael Morgan (shoulder) and Jason Taumalolo (broken hand) at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

The Titans have a golden opportunity to make it a 2-1 start to the season and Boyd can press his claims for the No.6 jersey permanently.

Taylor will miss at least three games after undergoing surgery and Holbrook said an opportunity had presented itself for Boyd.

“Ash finished the season really well last year so there was no need to change (our halves) at the start of this year,” he said.

“The other guys have to wait for opportunities and Tanah’s got that now. Ash won’t be out that long, but Tanah has got his chance and I want him to enjoy it.”

Cowboys quiet on new No.6
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

COWBOYS coach Todd Payten has remained coy on who will replace injured skipper Michael Morgan, with a final decision expected this afternoon.

The five-eighth is set to only miss tomorrow’s clash with the Titans due to concerns with his shoulder, and Payten is contemplating a host of options to assume the No.6 jumper.

Fullback Scott Drinkwater played much of 2020 in the position alongside halfback Jake Clifford, while utility Ben Hampton has also spent most of the pre-season training in the halves.

Whoever takes on the role will need to be confidently up to the defensive task of manning rampaging Gold Coast forward David Fifita, who stole the show in Round 2 against the Brisbane Broncos.

Payten said that was one factor of discussion, and the club’s main priority was to ensure Morgan’s injury issues were managed to avoid constant re-occurrence.

With co-captain Jason Taumalolo also sidelined he said there was an opportunity for others to step up and assume more of a leadership burden.