Junior

Default NRL Tackle: Secret clause Titans need to unleash $1m man

Did not know where to post this but anyone a subscriber?

It's a segment in a rubbish article by Paul Crawley about his likes and dislikes from round 2

TITANS STARVE MOST EXPENSIVE STAR

Justin Holbrook said after the win that the reason David Fifita was benched with 15 minutes to go on Saturday when the Titans-Warriors match was still in the balance was because the $1 million man was suffering cramps.

And that is completely understandable given it was a hot day and you just had to see Matt Lodge throwing up on the sideline how tough the conditions were for the players.

But my concern is that even before Fifita was taken off he was completely shut-out by the Titans just not giving him a chance to get involved.

I wonder if it would be worth putting a bonus clause in Jayden Campbell’s contract, say an extra $2,000, for every time he gives Fifita early ball.

What’s the use of paying him $1 million-a-season if you don’t use him?

And spare me the cramps explanation because it was the same last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, Crawley, you're a ********. Spare me the cramps explanation? You just acknowledged it as being fair enough in your second sentence you absolute twat

Fair enough we didn't get him much good ball but we also still won that game after putting in like a 5/10 performance, must have run out of things to talk about so he went for the low hanging fruit
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 21-03-22 at 01:56 PM.

Crawley has had it in for the titans last few weeks someone has upset him, just Gibberish must be a slow news day for him, he is one journo I haven't got no time for even before his titans rants, always looks for an easy way out with his statements and hides when questioned and is a second fiddle journo way behind the top echelon

In my opinion there are two truisms in there: (1) JC pass the freaking ball, and (2) Dave stand deep and run on to the bloody thing! So frustrating. Dislike Crawley too.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I typed nrl news in a few weeks ago and every major story that came up was negative. It really bothers me that the nrl gave away their media platform in the new tv rights deal. Not only are the good stories about the game lost and hidden. Also there is no analysis and breakdowns of the game.
    He is right in that fafita hasn’t had the best attack. The real problem is our teams defence as we can score points at will.

First Grader

Everytime we had them back peddling Jayden tried to do it all himself / too much. He needed to pass to fifita

Everytime they were moving up he just threw fifi the ball and he got tackled in half a second. Absolutely rubbish service which holbrook needs to sort out asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Everytime we had them back peddling Jayden tried to do it all himself / too much. He needed to pass to fifita

Everytime they were moving up he just threw fifi the ball and he got tackled in half a second. Absolutely rubbish service which holbrook needs to sort out asap.
    BK blew it one time too. I reckon JC & to an extent Sexton will be watching that tape back seeing how much they cooked it. Always looks worse when they can see the numbers/spacing from a camera angle and where opportunities were missed in the moment.

Hopefully some improvement this week. The fact we’re still scoring so many points without Fifita is a positive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post

Yep definitely Campbell’s worst game in first grade so far, he just looked like he was trying too hard to do it himself. Luckily he’s super young and hopefully the coaching staff will work with him on that and make it a big focus this week.

Also quick disclaimer I have been blown away with how well Sexton’s handled first grade, but he definitely needs to try harder to get Fifita good ball as well. Fifita joked about not getting mucn ball last week, but I think he will be actually getting frustrated at how little he is getting it. Watching live at the game on Saturday, you could see him with his hand up calling for it plenty of times but they weren’t going to him. Obviously the onus is on him to get involved as well and take hit ups within our own half, but I wonder if maybe the coaching staff have told him not to do that too often and conserve himself for the attacking plays? Either way, we should have attacking sets on the line where the main focus is to get him clean early ball on the 3rd/4th tackle, cause more often than not it will lead to a try.

JC and Sexton are still very young and it is going to take time for the game to "slow down" for them. Until then they will make errors but hopefully they are learning with each one. Once the game comes to them it will be very exciting.
    I think we need to cut them a bit of slack for a bit and watch them grow.
    It might be frustrating but we can't crucify kids and expect them to bounce back every time.

Have been following the league of titans for a long time but decided recently to signup and start posting. This is my first.

I agree JC didnt have his best game but he was sound under the high balls and from memory did throw good long ball to put Marzhew away. Re Sexton, so good to have a half who can tackle!

So, good to cut them some slack.

Rep Player

Sexton and Fermor are future superstars. Both will play Origin and thankfully they're Queenslanders. Sexton is very much in the DCE mould. Unbelievable how calm and confident he looks in first grade at 21.

JC is a work in progress but worth persevering with.

Fifita wasn't a problem on the weekend in my opinion. Both of Marzhew's tries were a result of defenders trying to jam in on Fifita and creating opportunities for cutout passes, which both JC and Fifita nailed. That both cutout passes were executed perfectly demonstrates that Holbrook understands how teams will be defending against Fifita and has coached our boys accordingly. Fifita doesn't have to be the one barging through the defense for him to provide value to the team. Supercoach heroes don't understand indirect try involvements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murbahtitan View Post
    Have been following the league of titans for a long time but decided recently to signup and start posting. This is my first.

I agree JC didnt have his best game but he was sound under the high balls and from memory did throw good long ball to put Marzhew away. Re Sexton, so good to have a half who can tackle!

Welcome mate, always good to see new blood here

Quote Originally Posted by Murbahtitan View Post

Welcome to the forum mate! Great comments and honestly your perspective is really fair.

I think the expectation on here with JC (myself included) is probably a bit steep given his experience level and he really needs to ride out that NRL learning curve as a fullback. He did do some good things as you say and upon rewatching the game yesterday, he really wasn't that awful. I think in general we were all watching that game with some underlying frustration that we should've put them away early and that kind of bubbled over into highlighting certain players.

It's funny right, you ask any other supporter base or neutral fan what they thought of JC on the weekend and they all say positive things. We're just harsh critics. It's the same with Reece Walsh though - while we're all praising him, the Warriors forum think he was awful with his dropped balls, missed tackles, poor positioning etc.

- - - Updated - - -

@willhelm - excellent post mate and you're bang on. Thank you for offering an alternative to the fox sports/daily telegraph/vossy run-sheet of things to say about Fifita if he doesn't score 4 tries a game

Welcome Murbah and good post first up. My grandma hypothesized that “you always remember your first”.

To all and sundry I stand by my original comments. I might be very old school but the adage that “the opposition don’t care about your number of games just the number on your back” is my point about JC. Loved his dad and very much want him to succeed and Fifita too for that matter … but not at the expense of the team. Enough said on this, I hope this weekend they give it to Sticky’s mob and I’ll be the first to sing their praises.

Don’t have much time for Wighton but have none for Rapana.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Boy hasn’t Rapana turned into a thug. Used to really like him but he is s a hard pass now.