Default Tallis to help Broncos and Kevvie but still committed to Titans

Gorden Tallis settles feud with Broncos to support Kevin Walters

Just two years ago he was at war with the Broncos. Now former skipper Gorden Tallis is back to help after a 17-year absence.

Brisbane’s most outspoken legend Gorden Tallis has settled his feud with the Broncos, ending a 17-year absence from the club to support coach Kevin Walters in his quest to lead a Red Hill revolution.

On the eve of Friday night’s season opener against the Eels at Suncorp Stadium, Tallis opened up about his relationship with the Broncos and why he has buried a turbulent past to back Walters in his bid to snap a 15-year title drought.

Walters has spoken of his heartache at seeing a fractured Broncos and that was personified in Tallis, the champion back-rower who two years ago launched a savage attack on the club he once captained.

‘The Raging Bull’ unloaded on Broncos stars, slamming the culture of the current group, claiming they acted like rockstars who thought they “owned the town” despite having “won nothing”.

But with the Broncos at rock bottom after last year’s wooden-spoon finish, Walters reached out to smoke the peace-pipe with Tallis, who visited the club in pre-season to address the very group he condemned.

While he remains committed to the Titans as an ambassador, Tallis spoke of his passion for a Brisbane club with whom he won three premierships in a stellar 160-game career in Broncos colours.

“I‘ll be honest — it was a bit intimidating coming back,” said Tallis, who retired from the Broncos in 2004 and has delivered no-nonsense critiques of the NRL’s richest club in his role as a Fox Sports commentator.

“It’s been 20 years since I played for them so it’s been a long time away.

“It was good to be back. Their confidence was shattered last year and the best thing for ‘Kevvie’ is to get some belief back in the place.

“There is no bad blood at my end but when bad decisions are made at the Broncos, I’m entitled to an opinion just like all the fans.

“The fans kept asking me in the streets, ‘When will you go back to the Broncos?’ but I was never asked officially to visit the club until Kevvie reached out to me (in pre-season).

“Kevvie said to me he wanted the Broncos to find their DNA again.

“Kevvie asked if I could be there to help out with the players and I said, ‘Of course’ ... I would do anything for Kevvie to make the Broncos great again.”

As part of his Red Hill return, Tallis faced up to the entire Broncos squad and pulled no punches.

“It was unacceptable last year where they finished, I told the group that and they should know that themselves,” he said.

“What I say on TV I am happy to say to their face.

“I get paid to give honest opinions on the Broncos and the players have to understand I have to call it as I see it.

“I was embarrassed last year a couple of times with their performances and they would have been embarrassed themselves.

“The truth hurts. I didn’t like when I was playing and an old player would come out and criticise us, but they would say it because they care, not because they don’t care.

“You can either live in bliss or you can face up to what you are doing wrong.

“I hope the players do well this year. I‘ve been critical of them in the past but they have every reason to succeed this year. They have a huge juggernaut behind them with one of the best training facilities in the game.

“Their gym is amazing. We trained out of a tin shed and won six premierships. They have no excuses.

“I won‘t be going into the Broncos every week because I’m a Titans ambassador and I’m committed to my duties with the Gold Coast.

“But I just want Kevvie to know I am here to support him and if he needs advice from me as a mate and a former Bronco, I will be there for him.”

Walters lauded the impact of Tallis on the playing group.

“We’ve had all the former captains come in and speak to the players,” he said.

“A lot of our current guys weren’t even born when the Broncos were formed.

Broncos playmaker can’t live on 2015 promise forever‘It felt like it was collapsing’: Star’s brutal Broncos truth “What’s more important now is their time in the jumper and how they want to leave the club when they do leave here.

“It’s a good reminder of what it takes to play for the Broncos.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Nah. Not acceptable.

I’m ok with it ... you can’t change history and he stood by us when nobody else would.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.