Default Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Player Discussion

Tino’s perfect 21st gift … a Titans title
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

Having already tasted success at the top of the game, the Gold Coast recruit said his 21st birthday wish was to share that feeling with his Titans teammates and the club’s passionate fans.

TINO Fa’asuamaleaui turns 21 on Tuesday having achieved more in rugby league than most will in a lifetime.

In a mere 27 top-grade games, the 197cm forward has played in and won an NRL grand final and made his Maroons debut in perhaps the greatest State of Origin series upset in history.

And yet, a modest Fa’asuamaleaui says his rise from NRL also-ran to premiershipwinner and Origin star was as surprising to himself as it was the footy-loving public.

“The word is crazy. For all of that to happen in one year was pretty crazy,” he said.

“To achieve those goals and dreams, I never really expected it to happen this early.”

Having already tasted success at the top of the game, the Gold Coast recruit said his 21st birthday wish was to share that feeling with his Titans teammates and the club’s passionate fans.

“100 per cent that’s one of the biggest goals,” he said.

“I’d love to bring the trophy back to the Gold Coast and become a powerhouse (club) in the future.

“It would be awesome to bring the first premiership to the club (and) … I think we have the team to do it.”

If the Titans are to break their premiership duck, the young forward pack featuring Fa’asuamaleaui and fellow headline-grabbing recruit David Fifita, 20, will have to play a crucial role.

“I think we’ll achieve a lot with this group here. We’re all young and keen and eager to do anything. I think when you have that in a team you can go far,” Fa’asuamaleaui said.

But before he sets his sights on a Titans finals run, Fa’asuamaleaui says his first port of call will be locking up his favoured No.13 jersey. And while many have him pencilled in to start at lock under coach Justin Holbrook in place of the outgoing Jai Arrow, incumbent starter Tyrone Peachey and former Newcastle man Herman Ese’ese have also put their hands up for the role.

“The first goal for me each year is to get through the preseason and season healthy – that’s my main goal,” Fa’asuamaleaui said.

“I would also love to cement that No.13 spot at the Titans, hopefully, or as a starting player (at least).

“Hopefully, if I keep working hard, I can achieve what I want to achieve (which is) cement the 13 for Origin and the Titans.”

If Fa’asuamaleaui is to seize his favoured start in the 13, and play the kind of role his breakout 2020 campaign has fans and pundits expecting of him, it will likely mean playing more than the 46 minutes he averaged for the Storm last season.

“I reckon I can. With more experience and the more games I play my minutes will go up a bit more,” he said.

“Whatever Justin wants If it’s 20 or 60 (minutes), as long as I’m on the field.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Jeez I like this bloke! Such a leader and yet so young. He will captain the Titans in years to come. He is a champion! Fantastic player...and a genuine, down to earth decent bloke. I think he's the buy of the year across the NRL!

I can see why some players get annoyed at the media. Tino must have been interviewed by every media outlet in the country at some stage last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Jeez I like this bloke! Such a leader and yet so young. He will captain the Titans in years to come. He is a champion! Fantastic player...and a genuine, down to earth decent bloke. I think he's the buy of the year across the NRL!
    I really enjoyed his segment on Building Titans. Country boy. I'm sold.

I agree he does have those qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I can see why some players get annoyed at the media. Tino must have been interviewed by every media outlet in the country at some stage last night.
    That is like another sporting event in itself. I think he got interviewed at half time too? Gee that must be rough for any player. Your are blowing and they stick a mic under you.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER