Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

Default Riot Police to Patrol Bulldogs Games

RIOT police will patrol all future Bulldogs' rugby league games after violence at the NRL club's match against Wests Tigers on Friday night at Sydney's Telstra Stadium.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney was expected to announce today that the state's recently formed permanent riot squad will be called on to monitor crowd behaviour inside and outside all Bulldogs' games this season.
    A number of brawls and incidents where explosions have been set off have marred Bulldogs' games over the past two seasons.

On Friday night a brawl erupted inside Telstra Stadium with Bulldogs' fans attacking Tigers' fans in the stands. The incident was captured by television cameras.

Later a Tigers' fan was bashed outside the stadium.

The NRL are now considering penalties against the Canterbury-based club, which could include a loss of competition points or fines.

Source: www.news.com.au
    Last edited by Titans#1; 19-03-06 at 11:54 AM.

Titan One Clubman

Excellent news

Lets see these "fans" try to act tough now when they know there is a risk they wil have their ass handed to them on a platter.

Quote Originally Posted by Titans#1
    RIOT police will patrol all future Bulldogs' rugby league games after violence at the NRL club's match against Wests Tigers on Friday night at Sydney's Telstra Stadium.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney was expected to announce today that the state's recently formed permanent riot squad will be called on to monitor crowd behaviour inside and outside all Bulldogs' games this season.
    A number of brawls and incidents where explosions have been set off have marred Bulldogs' games over the past two seasons.

On Friday night a brawl erupted inside Telstra Stadium with Bulldogs' fans attacking Tigers' fans in the stands. The incident was captured by television cameras.

Later a Tigers' fan was bashed outside the stadium.

The NRL are now considering penalties against the Canterbury-based club, which could include a loss of competition points or fines.
    Source Titans#1?

I think there are two very simple measures to be put in to place in the short terml;

1) Remove night games from the Canterbury Bulldogs

2) Remove alcohol from these games

With the above bring in the Riot Police with huge fines (perhaps some jail time for repeat offenders - extreme, but necessary. We are talking about animals here with no respect nor fear of the law who are restricted in what they can and can't do) and life bans from all NRL games in the future. (Life bans IMO are too hard to police)

My cousin was at this game and she left the game (Wests Tigers fan) fearing for her own safety and she said that the small element of so called fans are alcohol fuelled there for twp reasons - to fight and be disruptive to all in their vacinity to get a bite from someone willing to tell them to sort themselves out. The person who takes issue with their behaviour is then singled out and it begins from there.

My cousin will not attend another game involving Canterbury - yet another fan turned away from a Canterbury game.

An even better solution - make em play behind closed doors. Works wonders overseas as it hits the hip pocket as well.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    An even better solution - make em play behind closed doors. Works wonders overseas as it hits the hip pocket as well.
    I have seen that - the game I saw was a football game in the Spanish League...I wonder what the results were it terms of crowd behaviour after that though.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Source Titans#1?

I think there are two very simple measures to be put in to place in the short terml;

1) Remove night games from the Canterbury Bulldogs

2) Remove alcohol from these games

With the above bring in the Riot Police with huge fines (perhaps some jail time for repeat offenders - extreme, but necessary. We are talking about animals here with no respect nor fear of the law who are restricted in what they can and can't do) and life bans from all NRL games in the future. (Life bans IMO are too hard to police)

My cousin was at this game and she left the game (Wests Tigers fan) fearing for her own safety and she said that the small element of so called fans are alcohol fuelled there for twp reasons - to fight and be disruptive to all in their vacinity to get a bite from someone willing to tell them to sort themselves out. The person who takes issue with their behaviour is then singled out and it begins from there.

My cousin will not attend another game involving Canterbury - yet another fan turned away from a Canterbury game.
    The minority of Canterbury "fans" are going not doing any favours for the clubs reputation. Hopefully if all Canterbury games are played in daylight it will keep all these types of fans indoors . The banning of the alcohol at Canterbury games should happen straight away IMO. Its drastic but it should alleviate any problems that could occur in the future.

Titan One Clubman

Playing behind closed doors shoudl really be the last resort, by doing that you are punishing the hard working fans and season ticket holders. I like the idea of riot police, alcohol ban could work, but whats stopping people from getting loaded before they go to the game? Also it wouldn;t be that hard to smuggle some in if you really wanted to...
    Also a lot of these "fans" who start the trouble, probably do it without the influence of alcohol...

Yep sure is a last resort but what would sender a stronger message about the NRL's want to clean up the game. Hundreds of police patrolling games to me instills fear and the wrong image. Forcing a club whose fans behave unruly to play behind closed doors cleans forces the club to look at itself in a hurry. It is used as a last resort overseas but has the desired effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    alcohol ban could work, but whats stopping people from getting loaded before they go to the game? Also it wouldn;t be that hard to smuggle some in if you really wanted to...
    One word; security...If you are under the influence of alcohol or at least look like you are you shouldnt be allowed in. Bag-checks as well should keep smuggling under control. An even drastic measure is having RBT set up inside the stadium. It may sound stupid but if somebody is causing some small trouble or authorities believe that you have one too many to drink they can breath test you and if you are over a certain limit you are told to leave the stadium.

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    One word; security...If you are under the influence of alcohol or at least look like you are you shouldnt be allowed in. Bag-checks as well should keep smuggling under control. An even drastic measure is having RBT set up inside the stadium. It may sound stupid but if somebody is causing some small trouble or authorities believe that you have one too many to drink they can breath test you and if you are over a certain limit you are told to leave the stadium.
    Searching everybag would be good, but is it really practical to search 32,000 fans? Some of the security i've seen at grounds is fairly average..
    Also what is the limit that we would set for watching footy? I'd imagine we'd get legal implications as people would argue they are breaking no law..

I still like the idea of riot police hammering the trouble makers with batons...

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    I still like the idea of riot police hammering the trouble makers with batons...
    What are the legal implications for that But seriously if they checked everyone's bags and kept alcohol out of peoples bodies then alot of the trouble would go.......I hope. More security, more police and riot police are needed at Bulldogs games. If these Bulldog "fans" dont get the message closed door games are the only option; or perhaps make the Bulldogs play away for every game......or even make them tour around country towns and play some games there.

Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

RIOT police could be sent to patrol future Bulldogs rugby league games after violence at the NRL club's game against Wests Tigers on Friday night.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney today refused to rule out the move as part of a strategy he will take to Bulldogs officials and the NRL this week to control behaviour at the club's games.
    Mr Moroney said that while he was considering deploying the new riot squad to the Bulldogs' next game, he might also support a move to segregate Bulldogs' fans from other supporters.

"I do not rule out any operational strategy or tactic that I can use that brings about a secure environment in that football setting," Mr Maroney said.

Mr Moroney said there would be an increased police presence at the next Bulldogs' game as a response to the latest violence.

He said he would detail his strategy after his meetings this week with the club and the NRL.

Source: www.news.com.au

I like the idea of Riot Police being at the games.. BUT THEY NEED TO BE OUTSIDE TOO..

The key reason for this occuring is that there is a small minority of fools who make my proud club look very bad and think it is fun to go to games and ruin it for the rest of us.

It is getting better... the club is trying to do its best... and they throw out the ones that cause issues most of the case, but then they end up outside and they are free to act like idiots again and they torment everyone including myself a few times outside the ground... and I am a supporter of who they supposedly support.... those idiots should be arrested and spend some time in jail...

Add to that.. they should never get past the courts and be freed on bail because for many of them, they do this in society, the get arrested and sent to the courts AND THE COURTS FREE THEM... :curse:

Sorry I am just getting really fed up of the minority making our club look bad.. especially on a night where we played so well and Hazem should have been the main headline.. NOT CROWD VIOLENCE...

Everyone is saying we should play games during the day... it is a solution.. but it is not the issue... we don't have these problems on Saturday night games.. we didn't against Penrith... but sadly Friday Night games seem to attract idiots.. so maybe.. and as a proud Bulldogs supporter... I hate to say it... but we shouldn't be on Friday nights... I HATE IT.. but if it will stop this problem.. then do it... and true Bulldogs supporters will accept it.. :ok:

From the Sunday Telegraph:

Disgusting night at Telstra
    By Steve Mascord
    March 19, 2006

FRIDAY night's Telstra Stadium game between the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers produced more stomach-churning images that prove hooliganism is again a massive problem in rugby league.

A middle-aged man was left with a bloodied face, Bulldogs fans leap over seats to throw punches, a spectator lifted his T-shirt over his head and tried to shield himself from the blows.

In a cowardly attack, he was kicked in the head for his trouble.

Security rushed to the northern terraces and broke up the melee within minutes, with one man arrested. He is facing a ban from all rugby league matches.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night indicated that there was still the potential to fine or possibly deduct competition points from the Bulldogs.

"First we have to get reports from the clubs, police and stadium security," Gallop said.

"We want people to take any complaints to police and the sternest action must be taken by police and the courts.

"The Bulldogs have made big inroads regarding these problems recently and it would be a great shame if we have to put competition points or fines into play again."

The violence inside the stadium paled in comparison to scenes outside after the Bulldogs' crushing 47-12 win against the Wests Tigers..

Yesterday, fans contacted media outlets to report incidents like a child being hit in the head with a bottle, a train being trashed and scuffles in a corporate box.

The Bulldogs later revealed that one spectator was charged after being thrown out of the ground. Another 17 fans were ejected during the night.

In a sickening aftermath to a wild night, one parent said in an email that his four-year-old was hit in the face with a stray bottle and needed to go to hospital for stitches.

Many others said they will never go to another NRL game.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad urged fans to report violent incidents to the police so action could be taken against those involved.

"What happened outside the ground is very disappointing," Noad said. "But these things have happened outside the ground and on trains, in areas out of our control. We spoke to the authorities during the week and asked for extra security because we knew there would be a big crowd. Inside the ground there was one fight only."

Noad rejected Gallop's suggestion that the Bulldogs could be deducted competition points or face a hefty fine over the latest crowd trouble because it happened outside Telstra Stadium.

"That would be absolutely ridiculous," Noad said. "The league knows how much we've done to minimise problems at our games within the confines of Telstra Stadium over the last couple of years.

"We've done more than any other club and we've been very effective. It would be ridiculous to think we could be held liable for what happened outside the ground."

Police minister Carl Scully last night said he will meet with senior police tomorrow and will get reports from police at the ground and view closed circuit TV footage.

"I want to explore the options of dealing with this small minority of supporters who use the excuse of a football game for their obnoxious, intimidating behaviour which is frightening mums and dads and families," he said.

"I am not going to stand for it. I am confident the NRL won't either."

Making the Bulldogs play day games "might be an option they might like to consider."

The Sunday Telegraph
    The talking point of an impressive Canterbury win :disgust:

**** ME!!

Make them play day games, make em play behind closed doors - kick em out for all I care but get them to CLEAN their supporter base up or get out of the NRL. they are again ruining what is shaping to be a great season.