Default Future NRL stars train at Titans HQ

Future NRL stars from the Northern Rivers have stepped foot into the Titans facility, with two junior representative sides given the chance to train at the NRL team’s headquarters.

The Laurie Daley Cup and Andrew Johns Cup under 16 and under 18 teams from the Northern Rivers Titans hit the field, wrestle mats, gym and ice baths at Parkwood as part of their affiliation with the Gold Coast based side.

Jamie McCormack, the Titans Elite Player Development Manager, says it was a great opportunity for the players involved.

“We’ve had a formal agreement with the Northern Rivers area and part of that is to support the representative programs, but we’ve never been able to bring the boys up here to train at the facility, so this is the first time,” McCormack said.

“The range between the border and Grafton is our catchment area in the Northern Rivers so there is a lot of distance.

“We do a lot of training in Ballina because it is a central location, but to bring the boys up and to physically train at the NRL headquarters of the Gold Coast Titans in the same gym as NRL players and using ice baths and to show them where their pathway lies is really important.”

Mark Harrison, Chairman of Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League, says while the academy has been going for many years, this was the first time they got to see first-hand what an NRL side does.

“I said to the boys at the start of the program that there would be a lot of academies out there that would be jealous of what we’ve got and we’ve got to thank the Titans immensely for what they’ve provided us,” Harrison said.

Jamie McCormack says the visit is another reminder to local talent from the New South Wales side of the border that there is a local pathway to the NRL.

“It’s just about making them feel more aware that this is their pathway,” McCormack said.

“If they want to be NRL players they don’t have to go to Sydney, they can do it all in their own backyard and stay close to home.

“There is plenty of great talent to come from the region and namely for us at the moment you’ve got Brian Kelly from Ballina and Anthony Don from Grafton are really good role models and good country kids that aspired to be NRL players and have made that happen.”

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/...-at-titans-hq/

@Mdrew...I just read the juniors thread and seen you put a link to this story. Doh! Sorry for reposting everyone. I should have known Mdrew would have been all over this. It's a good read!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 12-12-20 at 08:31 AM.

First Grader

The club just seem to be making right move after right move. This is such a weird feeling....

Never been prouder to be a fan of this club! Big 5 years ahead

Inactive User

What’s great is that I envisage that future QCup and local comps will be stronger too thanks to these programs.
    We might even be able to have a 3rd QCup team on the north side.

Couldn’t agree more with all the sentiments shared and Bodsie a North Coast QCup team should be a mid-term goal. Anything on the clubhouse?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Yeah T I’m thinking a North GC team in maybe 3 years.
    Good question about the Leagues Club.
    Does anyone know where that’s at now???

A short term goal must be an NRLW team. You can’t let the Suns just dominate the women’s footy landscape.

Interesting topic.

I'm all for a strong presence in northern NSW. And we already have Tweed playing in the QCUP so a northern rivers area.

Not sure where they would base the team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    A short term goal must be an NRLW team. You can’t let the Suns just dominate the women’s footy landscape.
    I agree. My Valleys Diehards are going to have a Womens Senior team next year in the BHP Premiership. Already some big signings and with Scott Prince coaching.

**Major Announcement** BOQ Stafford Valleys Diehards have been accepted into the 2021 Women’s BHP Premiership. As you can see the news gets even better with the signing of the game’s premier player Ali Brigginshaw to lead us. Throughout our 110 year history we have had so many great players represent the Diehards. We are so excited to call Ali a Diehard. Join us in welcoming Ali Brigginshaw!
    *MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT* BOQ Stafford Valleys Diehards are excited to announce Shenae Ciesiolka has signed with the BHP Premiership women's team for 2021. Join us in welcoming Shenae Ciesiolka - Diehard!
    *MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT* BOQ Stafford Valleys Diehards are excited to announce Brianna Clark has signed with the BHP Premiership women's team for 2021. Join us in welcoming Brianna Clark - Diehard!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 12-12-20 at 05:52 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

No diehard I’m saying there is a need for a QCUP team on the Northern Corridor of the GC.

No diehard I’m saying there is a need for a QCUP team on the Northern Corridor of the GC.
    Oh thanks for clarifying. That's why you said three. That makes a lot of sense and it would be fantastic for RL on the GC.

I got really extra confused because even to me being a Brissie boy "the northside" means north of the Brisbane river.

Any ideas on where a third QCUP team could be best based?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Someone said the other day (bad memory) that there already is a Consortium “the Ninjas” and they were out of Helensvale I think.

Good question about the Leagues Club.
    Does anyone know where that’s at now???
    I drove past about 3 weeks ago. If it is where I think it is then it is still parkland. The only dwelling there is a ‘shed’ (for want of a better description) and from memory the signage says Men’s club. (Oxenford Mens Club).

P.S. That is if I have the location correct. I have driven the length of Oberon Way and this is the only vacant land.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I drove past about 3 weeks ago. If it is where I think it is then it is still parkland. The only dwelling there is a ‘shed’ (for want of a better description) and from memory the signage says Men’s club. (Oxenford Mens Club).

P.S. That is if I have the location correct. I have driven the length of Oberon Way and this is the only vacant land.
    Yeah, still nothing physically started. Can't blame them. 'Rona and then a recession and now not a recession.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Couldn’t agree more with all the sentiments shared and Bodsie a North Coast QCup team should be a mid-term goal. Anything on the clubhouse?
    Yes, was referring to a Northern Gold Coast QCup club too ... potentially in conjunction with the new clubhouse (both would probably be inaugurated at the same time at this rate). Helensvale is about right I reckon and I nominate JB as the inaugural El Presidente.

I was thinking if they went further north they could be called the Pimpana Hogs or Finks or even Mongols ... just kidding.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.