Some highlights of 18 year old Destiny Brill:

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/08/...e-is-powerful/

If there is an NRLW equivalent to Brandon Smith, she is gonna be it

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Some highlights of 18 year old Destiny Brill:

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/08/...e-is-powerful/

If there is an NRLW equivalent to Brandon Smith, she is gonna be it
    HS spent on their, and to think she is only 18 I think I read somewhere

Has TV coverage been discussed yet? I assume all the games would be televised?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan Tahnee to bring experience and expertise to inaugural team
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...naugural-team/

When you are starting a new team one thing you cant manufacture is experience, and in Tahnee Norris the Titans have recruited one of the best to help lead the first side to represent the Gold Coast in the NRLW.

Norris has captained her country, been to four World Cups, represented both New South Wales and Queensland, coached Queensland and won six out of seven QRL women's competitions with the the Burleigh Bears, so to say she has done it all is probably an understatement.

Norris' beginnings were in netball though, before a call from a friend changed her sporting career.

"I started playing (rugby league) with my brothers out in the backyard, but I was a netballer long before rugby league," Norris said.

"I got a call from a friend one day saying why don't you come and play rugby league and I said 'girls aren't able to play rugby league.'

"I loved it and gave up netball nearly straight away."

From the moment she started rugby league, Norris has been a star - making the Australian side in her first season and going on to be the most capped Jillaroo of all time with 32 caps.

Success has followed Norris into her coaching career also.

Earlier this year she was appointed as Head Coach of the Queensland Maroons side that were victorious over the Blues in June and she has been at the helm of the Burleigh Bears women's set up that have become habitual winners - including winning the BHP Premiership this year with victory over the Valleys Diehards in the Grand Final.

Along with another Titans player, Karina Brown, Norris has led the way in establishing and building the Burleigh side.

The pair played together before Norris took up the coaching clipboard.

"It was a great thing to build that Bears side and it has been ten years now, but I love it there and what we have done there," Norris said.

"It is like a 'proud Mum' moment now as I watch girls develop and come through (at Burleigh)."

Norris will now get to see a number of the girls she has coached at State Cup level come through the NRLW program and play for the Titans in season 2021 as assistant to Head Coach, Jamie Feeney.

"Feens (Feeney) and I have done a lot of work in targeting the right people (culturally)," Norris said.

"You have just got to get the right people behind it to be successful.

"Feens and I are both defensive coaches so we will have a big impact on the defensive side of the game and then give them an opportunity to play 'eyes up' footy.

"I am really looking forward to it (the NRLW season) and we are lucky to have such a good group and we have a good mix of experience and youth.

"We have Brittany Brealey-Nati that has been the best hooker in Australia for a long time, but then we also have Destiny Brill who replaced her in Origin, who is 18 and won players' player at Origin level.

"I think we have the player base to give it a really good nudge."

Speaking in Women in League Round, Norris reflected on the way this round has evolved and the growth that the women's game has had, potentially making the round redundant in the future.

"Do we need to have it now (a specific round), because it is such a big part of the game," Norris.

"It is actually really positive that we have gotten it to a point that we aren't a second thought and the promotion and support from the NRL has got it to a point that we are 50-50 now.

"Obviously we still want to grow the game but it is a nearly at a point now where there are so many things that have happened that we are getting to a point where it is equal."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Griffith University joins inaugural NRLW campaign
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...nrlw-campaign/

The Gold Coast Titans inaugural NRLW side will be backed by Griffith University, with the institution throwing its support behind the team by joining as a foundation partner.

Already considered a leader in supporting women’s sport, Griffith University will become the home training base for the Titans side over their 2021 season.

The university has a track record in hosting elite sport and has previously supported the Australian Jillaroos.

Titans CEO Steve Mitchell says it’s great to partner with a world leading university to assist with the establishment of the inaugural NRLW side.

“This is not a new idea for Griffith University, they have been a major player in supporting women’s sport for a long time,” Mitchell said.

“Our NRLW side will utilise the elite training base that the university has to offer and we are confident that this will give them the best opportunity of winning the competition in their inaugural year.

“We see this as being more than just a partnership for our NRLW team, but one that connects the Titans and Griffith University across a number of projects that we do within the Gold Coast community.

“We have community programs working with our First Nations peoples and Close the Gap initiatives in health and education and through our Leagueability programs we see people with physical and intellectual disabilities able to access rugby league.

“We see our partnership encompassing these critical focus areas in the future using the research and academic power of one of Australia’s best universities to help assist the work we are doing within our communities.”

Duncan Free OAM, Director Sports Engagement at Griffith Engagement, said the University continues to become a leader in advancing elite sport both at the performance and research level

“The relationship will cement Griffith’s commitment as part of the Gold Coast community, offering a range of education and training initiatives promoting greater inclusiveness and improved health and wellbeing outcomes.”

Steph Hancock and Rona Peters signed.

Plus a new sponsor (lower back of jersey) - Evolve Legal

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post

Steph Hancock and Rona Peters signed.

Plus a new sponsor (lower back of jersey) - Evolve Legal
    This is building into a real quality team. Can't wait for the games.

Inactive User

The Drongoes will dominate this competition
    The NRLW are kidding themselves

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/...tstrand-smith/

Great story about Ebony Raftstrand-Smith, who's older sister Tiana is one of our inaugral signings.

Tiana is certainly one to watch and has probably flown under the radar a little. Huge talent and still U19 this year (along with Destiny Brill).

The NRL appear to be treating the women as an afterthought. Comp postponed (again)
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...d-19/100428386

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    The NRL appear to be treating the women as an afterthought. Comp postponed (again)
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...d-19/100428386
    International footy and womens footy is getting the rough end of the stick.

I'm really looking forward to it though. I think there is genuine excitement and interest in the fanbase and its fascinating to hear how female Titans fans feel about it.

If people want to become a NRLW Titans Member here are the details.

https://www.titans.com.au/membership...on-membership/

I joined my family up (my wife gets the visor) but I must admit that although I understand the logic of this membership drive, as a Titans membership family already I don’t want to segregate the women’s team from the wider Club.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

The reality of it is that the women’s league is not self-sustaining, likely never will be, and needs to be propped up by the revenue of the vastly more popular men’s game. That makes it a luxury. When times are tough, for example when there is a pandemic that results in $65 m worth of cost cutting measures, luxury goods are the first to go. Nobody is entitled to a professional sports gig, least of all during times of austerity. There are plenty of administrative and other such staff that lost their jobs too and I think some of the disproportionate empathy being directed towards the NRLW should be redirected their way. At least the players are still being paid their contracts + a covid relief bonus.

I realise that there are a lot of feel good points associated with the NRLW, but at the end of the day how many fans would be willing to put the men’s game at risk to continue propping up a loss-making venture? I’m well aware that these views are unlikely to be popular but I think it’s important to point out that it’s not just some old boys club in NRL headquarters being mean for the sake of it. There are commercial realities to contend with.

I’m in complete agreement with Wilhelm’s position and just to clarify, in my mind, being a member of the Titans means being a member of all facets of the Club without extraneous add-ons.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

I’ll be supporting the Ladies team with the same passion as the Men’s.
    I’m thrilled we have a team.