Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Gee that is good news.

Titans to play New Zealand Warriors in Lismore
    https://www.titans.com.au/

The Gold Coast Titans will head to the Northern Rivers to start 2021, with an NRL trial game to be played at Lismore's Oakes

The Titans will host the New Zealand Warriors, with the game to be played on Saturday 27th February.

Gold Coast Titans CEO Steve Mitchell says the team are excited to play in front of a capacity crowd in Lismore.

“We can’t wait to get to Lismore to take on the Warriors as we kick start our 2021 campaign in front of Titans Members and fans from the Northern Rivers.

“The quality of rugby league talent that comes out of Lismore and the surrounding region is unquestionable.

“We are committed to the area as this is Titans heartland and this region is one we want to continue to invest in.

“There’ll be a full day of football at Oakes Oval and whether you’re a footy fan or experiencing rugby league for the first time, this will be a great spectacle.

“Our team, led by Coach Justin Holbrook, are keen to run out onto Oakes Oval and are excited to play on such a quality surface.

“With the future upgrades planned by Lismore City Council to further improve the facility, Lismore will fast become a sought after sporting destination.”

Lismore City Council Manager of Liveable and Active Communities Tony Duffy said he hoped to see many more games being held at Oakes Oval with ongoing refurbishments placing Lismore firmly on the NRL map.

“We want to secure a regular fixture in Lismore as part of the NRL season – that’s our goal,” Duffy said.

“We have the fans and the facilities to support NRL season games and we are building our relationship with the Gold Coast Titans to help develop Lismore as a home for sport. The $12 million refurbishment at Oakes and Crozier will make us a premier sporting city.

“In this trial match alone, we hope to have a large crowd of 6000 people and once the refurbishments are complete, we will be able to accommodate up to 10,000 spectators in both facilities.”

Tickets will be go on sale in coming days and will available via www.visitlismore.com.au.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast Titans 2021: AJ Brimson’s NRL return revealed
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Forced to go under the knife after injuring his foot in Origin I, things are now looking up for star fullback AJ Brimson and the Titans.

Gold Coast coaching staff have been left thoroughly impressed by new recruit Sam McIntyre, who has arrived at Titans pre-season training at “100 miles per hour”.

The playing group will have their final pre-Christmas training session on Tuesday but will head off for two weeks for a short break before their 2021 season gets underway early next year.

Now with the first training block done, head coach Justin Holbrook said he had so far been impressed by his playing group.

“They’ve all come back really good,” Holbrook said.

“It helped by the way we finished the season.

“They’re all coming back in a better frame of mind.

“They came back in different stages but in terms of how they’ve all been, they’ve been great.”

McIntyre (pictured) in particular has caught the eye of his new head coach.

The 22-year-old signed with the Titans last month on a two-year deal to further bolster the club’s fearsome forward pack.

Holbrook admitted the former Tiger was doing “everything right” to remain in the picture for a Round 1 spot.

“Sam McIntyre has come in at 100 miles an hour which is great,” he said.

“He’s flying.

“It’s a bit early to say whether he starts but we have some real good depth there in the forwards. He’s doing everything right and giving himself every chance.

“We won’t know until late-February.”

Meanwhile, Holbrook said livewire fullback AJ Brimson isn’t expected back at training until late January but was confident he would be fit for Round 1.

Brimson suffered a foot injury during Game 1 of the Origin series and was forced to go under the knife to repair it.

“He’s been in here getting treatment to his injury so he won’t join the squad until the end of January,” he said.

“He’s just getting his rehab sorted but he’ll be right for the start of the season.”

Why Gold Coast can now provide best of both worlds

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has revealed his plans to turn the Gold Coast into a win-win situation for players, declaring “you can live in the best place in the country and still win”.

The Titans are slowly becoming a force to be reckoned with, luring big-name players such as David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui to the club for the 2021 season.

It follows off the back of an incredible 2020 season for the club, in which they finished two points outside the top eight and became Queensland’s best NRL club.

The club has since been forced to deal with the off-field drama involving former assistant coach Michael Gordon, who was arrested on drug charges last month.

Holbrook described the incident as “disappointing” but is now focused on transforming the once struggling Gold Coast club into an NRL powerhouse.

In just his first year with the Titans, Holbrook managed to transform the club from 2019 wooden spooners to what many believe will be top eight contenders leading into the 2021 season.

The 44-year-old said he was working hard to create a winning culture on the Gold Coast.

“We were building nicely at the back end of last year and we had a few key recruits joining us,” Holbrook said.

“There’s a real exciting buzz around our side and the Gold Coast at the moment.

“I’m really happy with how we finished the year and it added to the environment we’re trying to create and culture we’re trying to build.

“You can win if you live on the Gold Coast.

“You’re allowed to live in the best place in the country and still win, that’s what I want to make clear and what we’re all working towards.”

Holbrook will be wanting to avoid second-year syndrome next year after a better-than-expected result in 2020.

However, he was adamant the playing group had not become complacent with much of the hype around potential finals footy next year.

“There’s no one getting complacent by the way we finished,” he said.

“That’s the best sign for me over the pre-season; the players’ attitudes.

“No one has come in thinking they’ve achieved anything.

“We’re a pretty level-headed type of group.”

Big-name recruits such as Fa’asuamaleaui and Fifita are also set to benefit the club’s million-dollar man Ash Taylor – who is off-contract at the end of 2021.

The club has yet to make a decision on Taylor’s future, opting to see how he performs next year before offering him a new contract.

Holbrook said he had been impressed by Taylor’s performance at the latter stages of 2020 and could only see him benefit from a reinvigorated forward pack.

“Any halves are going to play better if you throw in Tino and Dave Fifita into the pack, that’s for sure,” he said.

“I’m pretty excited if I was a half at the club.

“I’m sure Ash is really looking forward to playing with those boys.

Taylor is recovering from off-season hip and wrist surgery but is expected to return to full training post-Christmas and rekindle his partnership with halfback Jamal Fogarty.

“Everything about the pair impressed me last year,” Holbrook said.

“Jamal is such a natural organising half so he organised the team really well which frees Ash up to only worry about getting his hands on the ball when he wants to, not when he has to.

“Ash really appreciated that type of freedom and why we saw the best of Ash at the back-end of the year.

“That’s how I want him to play.

“He’s such a talented, skilful player that you don’t want to force him into things.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/...for-christmas/

Tino has arrived early for a couple of days of training before the break.
    Psmitty

Junior

So can anyone see Jojo Fafita getting a run in the 17 next year? I still can’t believe he signed with the Titans, absolutely huge signing IMO. Easily the best outside back prospect across both codes IMO.

Immortal

Not in 2021 mate, but 2022 pre-season I would think that he will get a shot in the trials and after that all bets are off. Once he breaks into the NRL he will not be going anywhere.

I agree the best centre prospect regardless of code, in Queensland at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So can anyone see Jojo Fafita getting a run in the 17 next year? I still can’t believe he signed with the Titans, absolutely huge signing IMO. Easily the best outside back prospect across both codes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He’s got 4-5 months of rehab before he’s even on the field so I think 2022 at the earliest we’ll see him in the mix. Hopefully he can progress to ISC fairly quickly.

Crazy to think he’s still only 17 as well.

David Fifita arrested for trespass. Released without charge. Just heard on Nine news

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    David Fifita arrested for trespass. Released without charge. Just heard on Nine news
    He ended up getting released without charge. Apparently he rocked up there thinking he was invited to the place by a woman and those inside didn't agree. Obviously not a big deal to the home owners if they didn't feel the need to pursue it further. I wouldn't worry too much, another media beat up as far as I'm concerned

"The 20-year-old was under the impression he had been invited to the home by a woman, according to 9News.

But after entering those inside called police.

He has since been released from custody without charge. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...espassing.html

media beat-up

Inactive User

Sounds like he’s made a few dumb choices if the police have to be called

Bit of a nothing story, drongoes media will try milk it for sure

Inactive User

Are you guys for real?
    If he’s going to live in our community and play footy for us and get paid marquee money then he can behave responsibly enough to not have people need to call the Police on him at 8am or any other time.

This is a time for leadership in our club to lay down the law to him and for him to understand the culture we are building.

Do not get into a situation like that.

In short “you aren’t a Drongoe anymore”
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 27-12-20 at 07:35 PM.

With you Bodsie ... without knowing anything but on his pay grade and profile it’s a “no misdemeanor” contract surely, especially after Bali.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think he needs to reassess his fondness for a drink.......