Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Praying that the rain holds off tonight. From memory there isn’t much cover at Pizzey park is there?

Immortal

None mate

QUOTE=hangingon;411129]Praying that the rain holds off tonight. From memory there isn’t much cover at Pizzey park is there?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Doesn't look like this game will be streamed which is disappointing
    It really is in 2021. Anything would be better than nothing. We don't need broadcast level technology.

Good luck Titans. I hope some of us can make it and feed back some thoughts. Stay dry.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hopefully plenty of forum members their to keep us updated

I’ll try if its not too wet to pull my phone out

Haven’t seen any of it but sounds like some of the fringe guys went well. Our random assortment of tweed & Burleigh players late in the second half is struggling but you’d expect that given they havent been with the squad for 2 months.

Not a great second half to blow the lead there. Also Cam was there ��

Inactive User

34-16 to 34-36.
    What players were on the park when the implosion occurred??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    34-16 to 34-36.
    What players were on the park when the implosion occurred??
    Fill-ins from Burleigh & Tweed, some were with us pre-Christmas but some not at all. In fairness to Burleigh though they had a young squad playing the end of that game as well

Inactive User

Thanks very much HS

Immortal

A lot of the trialists that were released back to their clubs were on at the end. Spry and Marzhews easily the Titans best, with Erin Clark not far behind.

^^^Finally...someone gives me some news on Clark, and it's good! I don't know why really, but I have a feeling Erin is in for a big year in 2021.

Marzhew hat-trick, but Bears prevail in pre-season clash.

The Burleigh Bears staged a spirited second half fight back to topple a young Titans side, the home side winning 36 points to 34 at Pizzey Park.

A penalty in the closing minutes gave the Titans a chance to level the score, with Tanah Boyd’s conversion attempt from 55 metres out falling just short.

It was the Bears who surprised the Titans defence early, with centre Sami Sauiluma opening the scoring.

Minutes later Burleigh were again attacking the Gold Coast line until Jonus Pearson pounced on a cut-out ball, running the 90 metres to score under the posts.

Both Pearson and Alofiana Khan-Pereira were strong in the wet conditions, with Pearson showing his finishing ability when he crossed for a double. The winger gathered an Erin Clark bomb, firing in his first game back in Titans colours after an injury interrupted 2020 that saw him play just the one NRL game.

It was an end-to-end affair through the first half hour, with Bears fullback Kurtis Rowe finishing off a nice kick in behind the Titans line to see the home side re-take the lead.

Playing in the centres, Greg Marzhew impressed with ball in hand, proving a constant threat to the Burleigh defence. Bouncing off defenders, he barged over close to the line to give the Titans back the lead.

The Titans finished strongly to end the half, with Toby Sexton making a mid-field break to give the Gold Coast side field position. Off the following play, a spread to the right found Treymain Spry who crossed with the Titans taking a 22 points to 16 lead into the main break.

Beau Fermor impressed in the time he was on the park, and it was the backrower who made a line break that lead to a Greg Marzhew try to start the second half.

The two combined again a few minutes later, with Fermor again providing the off-load for Marzhew’s hat-trick.

Leading 34 points to 16 at the 52 minute mark, that’s where the points dried up for the Titans, with the Bears finishing with a flurry.

The Titans more experienced players were rested in the closing stages of the trial, with the Club’s train and trial and extended squad given gametime.

Four un-answered tries saw the Bears move to a 36 to 34 point lead and with minutes remaining, the home side looked to have sealed the game.

The final play happened as the siren sounded, with a penalty giving Tanah Boyd a chance to level the game. A well struck conversion attempt fell just short, seeing Burleigh claim victory.

“It was similar to last year in how the game panned out,” Coach Justin Holbrook said.

“Back end of the first half I thought we were really good and that was when we were at our best and we started the second half but then we made a lot of changes and didn’t have the ball much in the last 20 minutes so it was good tackling practice.

“I thought Greg and Treymain Spry were probably the two good guys for us, they played really well and Jayden Campbell was dangerous at the back as well.

“No injuries tonight, I think we were ok.”

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...-season-clash/

- - - Updated - - -

Titans to host open training session in Lismore

The Gold Coast Titans will head to Northern Rivers town of Lismore this week to take on the New Zealand Warriors.

With a strong contingent of fans from the region and some current players (Anthony Don, Brian Kelly) having grown up in the region, the match is sure to draw a big crowd on Saturday afternoon.

The Titans will head to Lismore from Thursday, hosting coaching clinics, visiting schools, a dinner and an open training session where all fans can come along and see their heroes ahead of the trial.

Titans Open Training Session, Oakes Oval, Lismore

•9:45am (NSW time) – Gates Open
    •10am – 10:45am, Training
    •10:45am – Player meet and greet

Titans Coach Education Session

This session is an opportunity for all local clubs and coaches to take part in. The Titans encourage all male and female coaches to attend. The Coaching update will be run by Gold Coast Titans Staff, with Australian Jillaroos Coach Brad Donald to present some female specific content. Content will also cover on- field reaccreditation.

•5.45pm for 6pm start
    •Thursday, February 25
    •Oakes Oval

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/02/19/titans-to-host-open-training-session-in-lismore/

Centres put on strong performance in trial.

Titans Coach Justin Holbrook has called out the performances of centres Greg Marzhew and Treymain Spry after the Gold Coast's trial match against the Burleigh Bears.

The Titans team was missing a host of first grade talent, including representative players AJ Brimson, David Fifita, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Phil Sami, Jarrod Wallace and Kevin Proctor, but the game at Pizzey Park gave some exciting young prospects a chance to showcase their game.

“I thought Greg Marzhew and Treymain Spry were probably the two good guys for us," Holbrook said after his side's 36 to 34 point loss.

"They (Marzhew and Spry) played really well and Jayden Campbell was dangerous at the back as well."

Spry made his NRL debut in 2020, going on to play five games in his rookie season.

The 21-year-old slotted in at centre and wing and in his small taste of NRL action was able to show that he has a long future in the league ahead of him.

His centre partner in the trial match, Greg Marzhew, will be hoping his chance comes this season.

The 23-year-old is yet to make his NRL debut, but gave Titans fans a glimpse of his talent with a three try performance against Burleigh.

With no Intrust Super Cup in 2020, Marzhew says it has been about 50 weeks since his last competitive game of footy.

"Usually I get nervous before games but I was just that excited," Marzhew said.

"I'm just excited, I don't really care about anything else, I just want to get on the field (in 2021).

"I'm putting the work in, it's time to get it done, put my head down and start working.

"I've missed opportunities and haven't taken opportunities when I should have but I've learnt now big time.

"After the year of COVID, I just want to get out there and play any footy that I can."

After his strong performance, Marzhew was asked if he was ready for the rigours of the NRL.

"100 per cent," he told journalists.

"It should be time soon hopefully."

Jonus Pearson was another who used the trial as a chance to push his claims for a spot in the side, scoring two tries, including a length of the field intercept.

Pearson, who has played 22 NRL games, is back to full fitness after an injury interrupted 2020 season.

Despite the result, the young backline hopefuls showed Justin Holbrook that there is exciting depth in the squad should they need to be called upon during the year.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...ance-in-trial/

The fact that Pearson and Marzhew are our 5th and 6th choice wingers has me feeling really good about our depth this year.

How'd Boyd Sexton and Campbell go?