Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    Immortal

Jojo is David's cousin but oh well....

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    TITANS HONE AFL SKILLS

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

THE Gold Coast Titans have brought in retired AFL premiership player Nick Malceski to bolster the skill set of the club’s wingers.

Malceski has been working closely with the Titans edge over the past month, including Anthony Don, Phillip Sami, Jonus Pearson, Greg Marzhew and Treymain Spry.

The former AFL player, who played 210 games between stints at the Sydney Swans, where he won a premiership in 2012, and Gold Coast before retiring at the end of 2016 and shifting into coaching.

The 36-year-old has been passing on his knowledge of marking and kicking to the Titans high-flyers, hoping to bolster their skillset when it comes to competing for high balls.

Malceski was an assistant at the Suns from 2017 and became the club’s NEAFL coach in 2018.
    Thanks DH. Is this the same article? If not, could someone post this also please

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s&mode=premium

Already knew we had all their younger brothers (& cousin) but thinking about it gives me chills down my spine for the future and really building who we are as a club! Would love for us to embrace that we are bigger than a club we are a family

Imagine if there's a day that this becomes a reality:

8. M.Fotuaika
    10. S.Fotuaika
    11. D.Fifita
    12. J.Fifita (I know he'll start as a centre but I think his body will mature into a second-rower)
    13. T. Fa'asuamaleaui

15. I. Fa'asuamaleaui
    16. K. Haas

Does Payne want to join the party?

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Thanks DH. Is this the same article? If not, could someone post this also please

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s&mode=premium

King of the Gym: Titans strongman Greg Marzhew changed his name to honour grandfather
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

TITANS winger Greg Marzhew is one of the strongest players in Gold Coast rugby league history but the 23-year-old’s greatest act of strength didn’t happen in the gym.

In September, inspired by the birth of his daughter Isla, Marzhew legally changed his surname from Leleisiuao to honour the man who showed him how to be a dad.

Marzhew’s father was only ever a fleeting presence in the NRL prospect’s life before the family cut ties when Greg was a teenager.

In the absence of his father, his maternal grandfather Ta’ilevao Marzhew, 85, was the role model who guided Greg through the trials and tribulations of life in south Auckland to follow his dream of playing in the National Rugby League.

Isla, 10 months old, now bears his grandfather’s surname as well.

“I was never fortunate enough to be brought up with my father,” Marzhew said.

“He came back for a bit, maybe two years, then we cut ties with him.

“It’s like he was my (biological) father but he wasn’t my dad. My grandad, Ta’ilevao Aumau Marzhew, was who was there for me.

“I know people say I didn’t have a father around when growing up but I can’t really say that because he (Ta’ilevao) was there. I pretty much had a dad the whole time, with my grandfather.”

When Marzhew and his partner Cassidy became parents for the first time this year his priorities were clear.

“The first thing I wanted to do was get his last name down on paper to give him that recognition,” Marzhew said.

“I’d like to say I’m a good dad, and I’d like to say it’s because of him.

“He’s the biggest motivation for me, him and my baby.”

It was after conferring with his grandfather that Marzhew opted against signing a one-year extension of his NRL minimum wage development contract with Parramatta last year.

That decision set in motion his journey to Gold Coast.

“My partner was pregnant at the time and Sydney is such a hard place to live,” he said.

“Parra didn’t offer me anything I could live on so I had to sacrifice that opportunity to try to make it into the Burleigh side (in the Intrust Super Cup).

“They offered me a train-and-trial deal with the Titans and I took it with both hands.”

Marzhew had proven his potential with the Wentworthville Magpies in the 2019 New South Wales Cup, leading that competition in metres gained (4512) and tackle busts (196).

Once the Titans got the powerful winger in the door they never let him go.

Marzhew said it was his potential that won over decision-makers at the club but his incredible performance in the Titans gym made an impression too.

Since arriving at Gold Coast Marzhew has claimed the Titans’ all-time club records in the bench press (190kg) and deadlift (250kg, held jointly with prop Moeaki Fotuaika), while his personal best back-squat of 210kg is second behind Fotuaika’s 230kg record.

Where Marzhew leaves the other team strongmen in his dust is in the open field.

The winger finished second in club speed testing over 40 metres, with a 4.83 time placing him one-tenth of a second behind Anthony Don as the club’s fastest over that distance during pre-season.

With fellow speedsters AJ Brimson and Philip Sami entrenched in starting positions, Marzhew can provide the punch to complement and balance the raw pace the Titans have assembled out wide.

Gone are the days when pace and agility were the sole requirements to succeed on the wings.

These days the position is the most diversified in the NRL with a variety of body shapes performing an even wider variety of roles.

“That’s something that’s changed over the generations,” the winger said.

“I’ve watched footy games back then and wingers weren’t as heavy, weren’t as big.

“Now you get all sorts – tall ones, small ones, ones who weigh over 100 kilograms like myself.

“It’s a bit of a workhorse position now because you’ve got to fight for those (kick return) metres to get the boys on the front foot after a big set on defence.

“I’ve got to take pride in something and for me that would have to be my power and how I run with the ball.

“I’ve got to make that shine through to earn a spot.”

His skill in that department is obvious but fitness and decision-making are the areas coach Justin Holbrook needs to see improvement in before Marzhew can make his long-awaited NRL debut.

“He wants to be to trust my fitness to keep going with my defensive reads, not letting fatigue take over and making bad decisions,” Marzhew said.

“That’s the main thing, so this off-season I’ve put down the weights so my strength has gone down but at least the fitness is there.

“Over the break I was just trying to do a lot of aerobic, long distance running.

“I shocked myself (in the 1.2km time trial), I was aiming for six minutes and I got 5.27.

“That’s good standards for myself and it’s only up from there.

“I’m fighting to get a spot, to get out there and show the fans what I can do for the team.

“You know where our team is heading, it’s heading in a good direction.

“The first thing I want to do is be a part of it, not sitting on the sidelines but on the field as well.”

His urgency to take that next step is real.

Marzhew is desperate to make his NRL debut with his grandfather Ta’ilevao watching on as the boy he helped raise into a man takes the field, proudly wearing his family name like a suit of armour on the NRL battlefield.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by brennosboys17 View Post
    Imagine if there's a day that this becomes a reality:

8. M.Fotuaika
    10. S.Fotuaika
    11. D.Fifita
    12. J.Fifita (I know he'll start as a centre but I think his body will mature into a second-rower)
    13. T. Fa'asuamaleaui

15. I. Fa'asuamaleaui
    16. K. Haas

Does Payne want to join the party?
    Good lord I sincerely hope that lineup does not become a reality

lol@hs ... can’t wait to see what now transpires
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Back to training today.
    Key take aways:
    Tino is huge.
    Peachey leading from the front.
    Jojo is huge for 17yrs of age.
    Top squad trained lining up as
    Thompson
    Left edge:
    Fogs
    Proctor
    Kelly
    Sami
    Right edge:
    Taylor
    Fifita
    Spry
    Don
    Front row:
    Mofo
    Wallace
    Rein.
    Lenihan was ripping in today and the talk out there was awesome.

Thanks for the insight mate, love to hear it. Really interesting that they switched Ash and Fogarty, Ash has always played on the left. I hope its the right decision

Who was lined up in lock? Was it Tino?

Tino was talking to staff. Peachey at lock.

Thanks for the updates love seeing them posted

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Tino was talking to staff. Peachey at lock.
    Thanks mate, love reading this stuff. I miss living on the coast

That right edge seems defensively a lot weaker. Ash, Difita, Spry and Don ... not a lot of shoulder and/or defensive nouse there, imho.
    Last edited by Titanic; 14-01-21 at 09:56 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Great updates thanks.

Coach needs to watch Origin 2