Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Happy New Year everyone. I know it is a quiet time of year for the forum but I am really looking forward to watching Sam McIntyre this year. He seems to be going a hundred miles an hour at training and is a good talker so i'm thinking he might get a bench spot starting round 1. Could be the buy of the year for us. Also looking forward to seeing a full year of Corey Thompson he is slowly becoming a favourite of mine. Wow the Tigers over the years have let some good players go.
    All the best to you Smitty and everyone and I'm with you re Thompson. He must be in the team on the wing and I don't care if it's Don's or Sami's spot. He is far better than both of them.
    I must admit I hadn't noticed McIntyre last year but he is getting huge wraps here and you might be right about him being the buy of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Happy New Year everyone ... Wow the Tigers over the years have let some good players go.
    Happy New Year back ... Tigers lost their culture when they lost the Balmain from their name ... would have much preferred losing the Magpies to be completely absorbed between Eels and Chocolate Soldiers.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans 2021 preview: Anticipation builds as David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui strengthen line-up
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Finals appearances have been few and far between for the Titans, but with David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui in harness, 2021 is set to be the most anticipated season in their history.

No team created a bigger impression at the back end of last season than Gold Coast.

Reinforced with some superstar impact in the forwards and it’s no wonder they are one of the most talked about clubs heading into the new season.

2020 ladder position: 9th

Ins: David Fifita (Broncos), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Storm), Herman Ese’ese (Knights), Patrick Herbert (Warriors), Sam McIntyre (Tigers)

Outs: Jai Arrow (Souths), Ryan James (Raiders), Keegan Hipgrave (Eels), Shannon Boyd (retired), Dale Copley (Broncos), Nathan Peats (unsigned), Dale Copley (unsigned), Tyrone Roberts (unsigned)

Players in the 2020 Rich 100: 7 — 4. Ash Taylor ($1.25 million), 40. Ryan James* ($725,000), 65. Shannon Boyd* ($650,000), 66. Jarrod Wallace ($650,000), 80. Nathan Peats* ($550,000), 94. Tyrone Peachey ($500,000), 95. Kevin Proctor ($500,000)

* Have left the club this off-season

Coach status: Justin Holbrook was impressive in his debut season with the Titans, finishing the year just two points outside the top eight in a tumultuous year.

Now with a host of superstars under his mentorship, Holbrook has the power to steer the Titans into a top-four club. His contract was extended for another four seasons at the end of the 2020 season, in a sign the club is backing him in for the long run.

What is their game plan, and how do they need to tweak: The Titans started to throw the ball around a lot more in 2020, and with dynamo fullback AJ Brimson at the back, they were able to produce some flash football.

However, in 2021 their strength will lie in the forwards with three big name signings in David Fifita, Tino Faasuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese. The monster engine room will help gain valuable metres down the field and should be capped off with Ash Taylor’s incredible kicking and passing game to, hopefully, result in points.

Such is their excitement factor next year, they’ve begun the pre-season at $1.95 odds to make the finals.

How did they go in free agency: In addition to the three star forwards, the Titans have recruited shrewdly. Patrick Herbert shapes as a first-choice centre for 2021 — the 23-year-old has already played 21 first grade games with the Warriors so he provides another strong option in the outside backs. The Titans have also picked up Sam McIntyre from the Tigers. The 22-year-old middle or edge forward made his NRL debut in 2020, playing 12 games and gives Holbrook another option in his stacked engine room department.

Will development contract upgraded kids make an impact: Jaimin Jolliffe became a regular for the Titans in his debut season with the club. The 108kg prop played 16 of the 20 games, starting off the bench before promoted to the starting squad. His work rate has impressed Gold Coast’s coaching staff and should remain in the frame for selection.

He is recovering from a syndesmosis injury suffered in Round 17, but the Titans’ medical staff are confident he will be ready for next season. However, with a host of big names, he has some big competition to lock down a starting spot.

Toby Sexton is another Gold Coast development player waiting in the fringes. The Australian schoolboys star and Palm Beach Currumbin product provides great cover if either playmaker Ash Taylor or Jamal Fogarty is injured. The 19-year-old has plenty of potential to break into the NRL but may need to wait some time before he gets the chance.

What players can they reinvent: Tyrone Peachey. With a big, barnstorming forward pack in 2021, Peachey needs to return to his fleet-footed style of footy off the bench to become a game-breaker.

Peachey is yet to fire in his past two seasons with the Titans, but he showed glimpses of his potential under Justin Holbrook in 2020 in a sign of things to come. His ability to come off the interchange and add spark against a tiring defensive line can be a huge benefit for the Gold Coast squad.

Who takes the next step: AJ Brimson and David Fifita. Brimson showed what he’s capable of in State of Origin I last month and it has Gold Coast fans salivating. The livewire in the No.1 jersey proved one of the Titans’ best in 2020 and that was playing just nine games after suffering a back injury in the pre-season.

He finished the season with seven tries, two try assists and close to 1500 running metres. At just 22, Brimson will be instrumental in the Titans’ success in 2021.

Meanwhile, Fifita’s seachange from Red Hill is hoped to spark him to another level, which seems scary for a player who is already a proven game-breaker. With several schoolmates alongside him at the Titans, Fifita should prove to be pivotal in the forward pack.

The best 17 for 2021:

1 AJ Brimson

2 Phillip Sami

3 Patrick Herbert

4 Brian Kelly

5 Anthony Don

6 Ash Taylor

7 Jamal Fogarty

8 Moeaki Fotuaika

9 Mitch Rein

10 Sam Lisone

11 David Fifita

12 Kevin Proctor

13 Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

14 Tyrone Peachey

15 Jarrod Wallace

16 Herman Ese’ese

17 Sam McIntyre

2021 squad: Tanah Boyd, AJ Brimson, Erin Clark, Anthony Don, Herman Ese’ese, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Darius Farmer, David Fifita, Jamal Fogarty, Moeaki Fotuaika, Beau Fermor, Patrick Herbert, Jaimin Joliffe, Brian Kelly, Greg Leleisiuao, Sam Lisone, Sam McIntyre, Tyrone Peachey, Jonus Pearson, Kevin Proctor, Mitch Rein, Phillip Sami, Corey Thompson, Treymain Spry, Ash Taylor, Jarrod Wallace, Jai Whitbread

Fox Sports Lab’s Aaron Wallace says: Certainly seem to be on the up — the Titans finished the season with a bang — recording a club record-equalling five straight wins.

Their nine victories in 2020 gave them a 45 per cent winning record, their best regular season record since 2016 (11 wins/24 losses — 45.8 per cent).

Starting games fast will be a focus in the off-season — the Titans had the equal-worst differential of any team in the opening 20 minutes of matches, scoring just 74 points while conceding 130 (-56).

Finish the last five years: 8th, 15th, 14th, Last, 9th

Odds are: $19 TAB premiership odds, $5 top-four finish, $1.95 top-8 finish, $23 most losses

NRL Inside Mail Newsletter
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Are the boys back at training today or not until next Monday

Immortal

Training restarts on the 5th, also the NRL sides first trial is in February against Burleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Training restarts on the 5th, also the NRL sides first trial is in February against Burleigh.
    Do we know what time training is...once a upon a time they had them on their website but I can’t find it anymore...contemplating going to watch training tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Do we know what time training is...once a upon a time they had them on their website but I can’t find it anymore...contemplating going to watch training tomorrow.
    It'd definitely be worth emailing the club and asking/requesting. This used to be an excellent and open feature of the club. And I'd love to see more people attend and feedback their views to us. It's also supportive of the overall campaign to win a Premiership beyond just the NRL matches.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans vs Burleigh trial game

Source: Burleigh Bears

Okay Bears supporters here’s what you’ve been waiting for ...
    Our 2021 NRL pre season clash will be on Friday, 19th February and we hope to see you there !

Schedule:
    5.25pm Gates Open
    5.30pm Burleigh Bears U19 Women's v Burleigh Bears U19 Women's
    7.00pm Burleigh Bears v Gold Coast Titans
    Tickets:
    $10 Adults | $5 Concession | u18 FREE

Tickets will be available for purchasing online, from Leagues Club reception or at gate
    Corporate area tickets WILL be available

*** Tickets go on sale Friday 15th January ***

Patrick Herbert’s family tragedy fuelling NRL rise for Titans recruit
    Patrick Herbert was just 20 years old when a phone call from home shattered his perspective on football.

Nic Darveniza, Gold Coast Bulletin
    January 4, 2021 2:00pm

The death of Gold Coast Titans recruit Patrick Herbert’s 17-year-old sister is the constant heartache driving the rising Kiwi rugby league player to sacrifice everything to honour her memory.

Herbert was just 20 years old himself, having left his family home in Whakatane to test himself in a foreign rugby code with the St George Illawarra Dragons, when a phone call from home shattered his perspective on football.

The voice on the other end of the line informed him that his teenage sister Teresa Mae had taken her own life.

Herbert says her loss three years ago remains the hardest obstacle he has ever overcome.

“She always looked up to me,” he said.

“I was her older brother; she was 17 at the time.

“That was a pretty tough time, not just for me but my family as well.”

The support of Herbert’s fiance Kiki was the first step in translating his pain into the strength to carry Teresa Mae’s memory onto the field with him.

“With her by my side it made it a lot easier,” Herbert said.

“Obviously it was still pretty tough but I use that as motivation now.”

Herbert signed with the New Zealand Warriors to be closer to his healing family in 2019 but was cut adrift by the club at the conclusion of the 2020 season after 21 games.

Gold Coast, via Herbert’s former Junior Kiwis head coach and Titans recruitment manager Ezra Howe, were quick to express their interest in bringing in the former New Zealand schoolboy rugby star to partner rising star Brian Kelly.

“I definitely want to but it’s going to be a grind,” Herbert said of filling the Titans No.4 jersey.

“There’s great depth at this club, so many talented players.

“They’re all good dudes, honestly. I can’t say a bad work about them.

“They’re all real professional, all just having a dig. It’s different to the Poly (Polynesian) boys back home. You can hang out with anyone, it’s like everyone is on the same level here.

“You see eye-to-eye with everyone. There’s no egos over there (at Warriors) but it’s just everyone is real easy to talk to at the Titans.”

A point of difference in Herbert’s favour in the centre race is his talent from the goalkicking tee.

The 23-year-old has kicked 18 from 25 career goals at a 72 per cent success rate; better than the career averages of both incumbent Titans kickers Ash Taylor (68%) and Jamal Fogarty (60%).

“I’m no Jonathan Thurston but I like goalkicking and I’ve worked hard at it,” Herbert said.

“I’d love to do it but I have to get in the team first.

“I haven’t gone through what the goalkicking process is here but I’ll put my hand up 100 per cent.”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...d5d04152e1e0ef

Inactive User

Heartbreaking

That is such a heavy cross to bare. I wish Patrick a tremendous year.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    I would rock up at 9 ish that’s when they would be training. But email the club and ask.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Went to training for about 20 mins today. I didn't notice tino but fifita looked really good. The backs were in front of me and they looked super sharp. There was a young guy I was unsure of who he was, but super quick. Maybe Jayden Campbell. All the backs look super slick and Kelly and spry were playing together. The talk was awesome and they were running nice plays. Had a quick chat to AJ and said he would be ready for round 1. Ash was training in front of us as well and he looked fit. I have been to training a few times over the years but the level of talk and activity was awesome. The two jimmys are sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Went to training for about 20 mins today. I didn't notice tino but fifita looked really good. The backs were in front of me and they looked super sharp. There was a young guy I was unsure of who he was, but super quick. Maybe Jayden Campbell. All the backs look super slick and Kelly and spry were playing together. The talk was awesome and they were running nice plays. Had a quick chat to AJ and said he would be ready for round 1. Ash was training in front of us as well and he looked fit. I have been to training a few times over the years but the level of talk and activity was awesome. The two jimmys are sensational.
    This is the type of post I love to read. Thanks mate.

Any indication as to what each edge looked like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Great post love these updates