Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    1. What I learned yesterday was that there is little between Don, Thompson and Sami on yesterday’s form.
    2. I thought Clark looked a lot more composed and will keep Rein honest.
    3. Herbert showed enough I thought and will partner Kelly (not sure why we still talk about center pairings when they only see each other at training).
    4. Peachey will struggle to get a start in the 17 as he seems to be a different player off the bench, perhaps trying to be too creative.
    5. Wallace was great until gassed and Tino is our 13 bar none but should be rotated out not shuffled forward.
    6. Thought Fifita was fine and will improve but really can’t see Proctor keeping up with the pace of the game. With Fifita playing big minutes the others got limited opportunities.
    7. Fogarty and Taylor are what they are but they’re our best by miles. I liked Sexton over Boyd but neither make my 17.
    8. Without Ese strutting his stuff he too doesn’t make it nor does McIntyre.
    9. Sort of liked Marzhew and Spry but the commentary was so erratic that I reserve an opinion.
    10. AJ and MoFo both got through ... enough said.

*I have a long shot and that is starting Thompson in 14 with two mobile forwards and an impact big body.
    This is a good summary T. I like Clark and think he is a better option than given credit for - he's a fair way ahead of Boyd as far as pure dummy-half option goes.

Also agree on Herbert, he was fine. Take away his error and he made good decisions on D for a new-combination edge was solid with ball in-hand. Treymain is getting better and that battle for the spot will be good for both of them.

The Sexton v Boyd question is a good one and with Sexton getting his first year in ISC is going to be interesting heading in 2022 if we don't have Ash and don't go to market. Looking forward to seeing how both of these players develop.

Inactive User

We definitely should not go to market with TWeaver on the horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    We definitely should not go to market with TWeaver on the horizon
    Agreed. He's full time next year too.

Rep Player

Would you guys rate Weaver above Sexton?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    At the same age he's miles ahead. He'd be similar to how dominant Tom Dearden was in U18's. How he develops is anyones guess but he's certainly got all the tools to give it a good crack.

Fairly sure we locked him up for 4 years or something when he was 16 (mdrew correct me if I'm wrong here), to give an indication as to how highly the club rates him.

Rep Player

Gee now you’ve got me excited, HS

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    What HS said. I’m about as excited about Weaver as I was when I first saw Brimson get moved to Fullback.
    Actually I’m more excited.

QLD Cup

I’m not sure if we were watching the same game in regards to Clarke. He didn’t looked composed at all and ran sideways before he threw the ball. A hooker should be holding the defence around the middle before passing, not pushing the defenders sideways.

Fogarty tends to do the same thing meaning our outside backs and Fafita have very little room to move. The bad thing about naming co captains is it makes sense to have them on either side of the field when the style of play that Fogarty plays suits Proctors game. Likewise with Ash, his passing well before the line would suit Fafita nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I’m not sure if we were watching the same game in regards to Clarke. He didn’t looked composed at all and ran sideways before he threw the ball. A hooker should be holding the defence around the middle before passing, not pushing the defenders sideways.
    I agree. Regardless of what happened in a meaningless trial, I saw enough of Clark last year for me to know that he is not NRL standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I agree. Regardless of what happened in a meaningless trial, I saw enough of Clark last year for me to know that he is not NRL standard.
    Interesting take MT.

I think a player who spent 2 years out of the game due to personal reasons, to respond by picking up an NRL contract after 1 pre-season and hold his own in top grade would make him NRL standard beyond doubt but I can appreciate he'll never be a top-tier hooker. He's our best defensive 9 but I do agree he can muddle our A & B runners a bit with how he moves out of dummy half.

Holbrook seems to like something about him and that's enough for me...for now

I know some of you agree and some disagree, but I would 100% not have Sami in the starting squad. I have Thompson miles ahead of him, he finds gaps through the line, he always gives 100% and he somehow always gets the defense on the backfoot bringing it out of our red zone.

I find Sami lazy tbh, he gives up on plays and always gets bullied by the opposing team.

Not only do we have Thompson who I think should start, we also got Spry and Pearson who I rate (based on what I have seen too date) above Sami and Don (as much as I love the don).

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I know some of you agree and some disagree, but I would 100% not have Sami in the starting squad. I have Thompson miles ahead of him, he finds gaps through the line, he always gives 100% and he somehow always gets the defense on the backfoot bringing it out of our red zone.

I find Sami lazy tbh, he gives up on plays and always gets bullied by the opposing team.

Not only do we have Thompson who I think should start, we also got Spry and Pearson who I rate (based on what I have seen too date) above Sami and Don (as much as I love the don).

Totally agree with you.. I have no idea how Sami made origin tbh.. Thompson looks way more dangerous in attack.. even liked the look of spry and Greg.. I like the don, he finds the line.. he isn’t very good bringing the ball out tho.. doesn’t make much impact

QLD Cup

Sami got found out in Origin. The Fox absolutely bullied him. Thompson in the starting team is a no brainer. Sami needs to go back to reserve grade and get stuck in. Apart from finishing tries he doesn’t contribute anything.

I’m hoping that Don will be phased out as the season goes on. Marzhew and him are completely different players but for me coming out of your own end should be the most important attribute for a winger these days. It puts so much pressure on our forwards and kickers when we finish our set on our own 30m line. BK, AJ and Thompson (when he is on) has done well to shield Sami and Don from that scrutiny but I would consider them two of the worst in the league in that role.

Pearson hasn’t played enough recently for me to have an opinion on his ability. Our QCup outside backs will be stacked though wi Th Sami and Dom taking up those spaces.

I'm ok with any of Thompson or Sami on the left but I think Thompson brings more value week in week out.

I'd say Don gets the right spot consistently and will continue to because he's safe as houses and very good at organising defence and numbers for the men inside him, partiularly when we're defending shortsides. With an unfamiliar edge inside him this probably carries even more weight as well. His kick returns have been trash for 5 years now I think i've just become immune to it
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 02-03-21 at 03:21 PM.

My only issue with Thompson is who he’s keeping out ... I know business is business and I’ll be totally fine if he gets the nod but I think this year more than any other, an up and comer should get the spot.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.