Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Backs and forwards training separately, so not a clear indicator of the edges and I didn't stay too long. What I did see was urgency and everyone looked clued in. Wallace also looked really good. He will be in the 17. The plays with the backs looked really good and sexton was playing halfback for the plays. Spry and Kelly looked really good. Fogs talking it up. In the past I have noticed players like boyd, late etc not doing much. Not today. I couldnt find peachey there either. I was looking to see whether he was playing lock.

Just want to also thank you for the fantastic update Dooldog.
    Hopefully burleigh vs titans will be a full house

NRL 2021: David Fifita had run in with woman’s father before arrest

The details of David Fifita’s off-season arrest – including a run in with an angry dad – have been revealed as the Titans recruit returns to training.

Travis Meyn
    @travismeyn
    January 5, 2021 - 12:55PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

A fit and firing David Fifita will not be sanctioned by the Gold Coast Titans following his encounter with police as the bizarre details of his trespassing saga emerged.

Fifita looked a million dollars in his first training session of the year as the Titans sweated it out in soaring Gold Coast summer heat on Tuesday morning.

There were no stragglers in the traditional post-Christmas sweat-fest, with the Titans proving they are on track to be an NRL finals contender in 2021 after finishing ninth last year.

The first fitness session of the year usually reveals who enjoyed too much Christmas ham over the two-week break.

Fifita was in poor condition in the corresponding session at the Brisbane Broncos last year as he struggled well behind his teammates.

But that wasn’t the case with the Titans as coach Justin Holbrook looks to take the Gold Coast back to the NRL finals for the first time since 2016.

It was $3.5 million recruit Fifita’s first session since he was arrested and questioned by police following an alleged trespassing incident on the Gold Coast during the break.

Fifita, 20, was invited to a Clear Island Waters house by a woman, but upon entering was confronted by her father who questioned why he was at the property and called police.

After presenting evidence he had been invited to the address, Fifita was later cleared of any wrongdoing and issued a caution by police.

While the NRL Integrity Unit is investigating the incident, he is unlikely to be sanctioned by the governing body or the Titans and will play in Round 1 of the season.

Holbrook said he had spoken to Fifita about the incident and was impressed by his star recruit’s fitness following post-season knee surgery last year.

Yeah, I did (speak to him). It’s not good but it’s been resolved now,” he said.

“We’ve got to move on now. He’s training well and has done a great job with his rehab.

“It’s always hard when you’re a player in rehab but he’s done a great job and integrated into the full squad.”

The Titans were impressive in a solid 90-minute skills and conditioning session, with only halfback Ash Taylor (hips) and fullback AJ Brimson (foot) not participating in everything.

Holbrook said the star duo were on track to play in Round 1 and the Titans would ramp up their ball skills in the coming weeks.

While the Titans still have one spot to fill on their roster, there is no suggestion that could be Melbourne Storm legend Cameron Smith.

More than two months after the Storm’s NRL premiership win, Smith is still yet to reveal whether he will play on in 2021 or retire.

Smith and his family are living on the Gold Coast, raising speculation he could take up a playing or coaching role with the Titans.

However Holbrook maintained he had not held any discussions with the most-capped player in NRL history.

“As of now, no, I don’t think anyone (at the club) has spoken to him,” Holbrook said.

“I haven’t got a further update on Cam Smith. We haven’t planned on having him here.

“Everyone talks about the convenience of it, the fact he’s living here and the kids are going to school here. I understand the heavy speculation around it but that’s all it is.

“I can’t tell you anything. I’ve never spoken to him.

“I’m happy with who we’ve got, but if things change and all of a sudden he’s desperate to play and we can fit him in then we’ll have a conversation."

“At the moment, the fact I haven’t spoken to him shows I’m okay with who we’ve got. If it changes it changes, but I’ve got no plan on it changing.”

Storm recruit Tino Fa’asuamaleaui did not take part in Tuesday’s session given he isn’t required to return from leave until next week.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...2ddcc45ab11cdc

Explains why i didn't see tino.

Didn't really want to give the Fifita thing any more air but the above brings a bit of closure to it.

Looks like the daughter has some explaining to do to her father. Yikes

Absolute quality Dooldog76. Thank you.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Wallace keen to lead from the front in 2021

Jarrod Wallace is about to enter his 10th season as an NRL player and he says for him 2021 will be about leading from the front both on-field and off.

The 29-year-old has played 152 NRL games and representative football in the State of Origin arena and says he's ready to help lift his young team-mates as one of the Titans more experienced players.

"We've had a fantastic recruiting season but they're mostly 19 to 21 (years old) so that leadership and experience falls onto myself, KP (Kevin Proctor), Mitch Rein, Tyrone Peachey and guys like that," Wallace said.

"It's those (tough) sessions ... when the young guys go a bit quiet and into their shell we need to make sure we're picking them up and talking to them and pushing them.

"I know KP has been doing a great job of that over the last few years and Jamal (Fogarty) has come in and he has really put his hand up to now to in that role.

"He hasn't played that many games but he has just got that quality as a leader and the boys really look up to him as our halfback."

Wallace is fit and ready to fire, with the experienced forward putting in extra work over the Christmas break to ensure he is ready to go for round one.

"There's a lot of spots up for grabs and if you're not up to scratch there are guys waiting to take it."

After a slow start to 2020, that included being left out of the Titans squad while battling niggling injuries, Wallace returned to form and the Gold Coast starting side as the team put together five-straight wins to finish the season.

He says it is a simple goal that's driving him for 2021.

"(My goal is) to keep my jersey, to play in the round one team and to play consistent footy.

"I'm old enough now to know what I need to do and to be ready every week."

The Titans have incredible depth through the forwards, but it is this competition for spots that has Wallace excited about what the team can produce this season.

"Big Herman (Ese'ese) is in fantastic nick and he is training well.

"Big Davey (Fifita), I've never trained with him apart from in Origin camp, but if anything the last six or eight weeks have shown me that he is ready to go.

"He's come back from that injury and I think he has been one of the hardest trainers."

It was one of the backs though, not a fellow forward, that Wallace nominated as the best-performed so far this pre-season.

"I think the real standout at the moment would have to be Tanah Boyd," Wallace said.

"He has been flying before Christmas, he ran our best 1.2 time which was freakish.

"He has been fantastic and it'll be interesting to see where he is going to be, whether it is in the halves, or back in the middle or coming off the bench but he has put himself in a great position to get picked."

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...front-in-2021/

QLD Cup

Can anyone copy in the text to the story about Greg Marzhew in the bulletin two days ago?

Some highlights of his from 2019 if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYE...hannel=RLSCOUT

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Can anyone copy in the text to the story about Greg Marzhew in the bulletin two days ago?

Some highlights of his from 2019 if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYE...hannel=RLSCOUT

TIA
    TITANS HONE AFL SKILLS

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

THE Gold Coast Titans have brought in retired AFL premiership player Nick Malceski to bolster the skill set of the club’s wingers.

Malceski has been working closely with the Titans edge over the past month, including Anthony Don, Phillip Sami, Jonus Pearson, Greg Marzhew and Treymain Spry.

The former AFL player, who played 210 games between stints at the Sydney Swans, where he won a premiership in 2012, and Gold Coast before retiring at the end of 2016 and shifting into coaching.

The 36-year-old has been passing on his knowledge of marking and kicking to the Titans high-flyers, hoping to bolster their skillset when it comes to competing for high balls.

Malceski was an assistant at the Suns from 2017 and became the club’s NEAFL coach in 2018.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

^^^ It works for the storm. Well done Titans!

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post

TIA
    After watching that it really makes me wonder why he cannot get a run in first grade

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    After watching that it really makes me wonder why he cannot get a run in first grade
    Defensive decisions/positioning/general conditioning. With ball in hand he’s unreal. I have faith he can still crack top grade. The recent article on him was really insightful.

Gold Coast halfback ready for make or break season.

Luckless Gold Coast halfback Ash Taylor is hopeful of returning to full fitness in the coming weeks as the NRL season nears a start.

Taylor is in the last year of a deal that is worth up to $1 million per season and is seeking a new deal for 2022.

Any deal Taylor does sign would be worth significantly less then the deal he is currently playing out, following ongoing battles with injury.

Taylor had a very solid 2020 in a bid to keep his career alive, with both the weight of his current contract and personal issues in 2019 have stalled the progress of the once highly touted halfback.

The 25-year-old underwent surgeries on both his hip and wrist in the off-season after playing through last season under duress.

The Daily Telegraph have reported that Coach Justin Holbrook believes Taylor’s focus should be on playing good footy and not on the potential of a new deal.

“He just needs to keep playing well, that’s about all, there is nothing I’m unhappy with,” he said.

“He finished the year great. I thought he played okay all year. We weren’t playing good as a team early in the year but he really found his part in the side as the year went on and did a great job.

Holbrook said the rehab of Taylor is going well and his loads will escalate as pre-season will roll on.

“He’s doing really well with his rehab. He’s running freely now.

“He’s had a disrupted pre-season with having both of his hips and wrist done. He did well to finish the season the way he did considering he was in a fair bit of pain in those areas.

“It’s good to get him back on the field for a fair bit of the skills stuff now and he will integrate more.”

https://www.zerotackle.com/gold-coas...son-nrl-91838/

- - - Updated - - -

Pearson pushing his claims for a spot on the wing.

A pec injury put an end to Jonus Pearson's 2020 plans, but the 25-year-old is now fit and ready to fire for the Titans as the 2021 season approaches.

Pearson played his sole NRL game in the Gold Coast's Round 3 loss to North Queensland and went unsighted for the remained of the year as he went through a long rehab.

"I had a ruptured pec," Pearson explains.

"It took me two months to get back into it and it was a really slow rollercoaster during my time with the injury.

"(in a way) it was good, I got to learn stuff about my body and where I put myself back on the field."

After three seasons at the Broncos and one at St George Illawarra, Pearson is entering his second year as a Titans player and knows there'll be competition for spots.

The outside back will be fighting with the likes of Anthony Don, Corey Thompson, Phillip Sami and Treymain Spry for a spot on the wing.

Despite the tough competition for spots, Pearson says he's confident he can play a part in the Titans success in 2021.

"I think all the boys are hungry to get into the first 13," he said.

"I want to put myself there as well so I've got to train hard in the pre-season and I'm looking forward to the trials going into February."

Pearson will get a chance to test himself against NRL opposition when the Titans host the New Zealand Warriors in a pre-season clash at Lismore's Oakes Oval on February 27th.

On top of hard work on the training paddock, the Yeppoon Seagulls junior has set some simple off-field goals to ensure he performs at his best this season.

"I've got a few goals for myself," he said.

"Trying to eat better, that's probably one of my most important things to get my body right before the start of the season.

"Hopefully from that it'll lead me down the right track."

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...t-on-the-wing/

Tino eyes lengthy Titans stint as Gold Coast sign siblings galore.

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui's growing family affair at the Titans has the marquee signing already thinking about putting long-term roots down on the Gold Coast.

Fa'asuamaleaui is currently bunking down with fellow star signing David Fifita until his partner Jordan and baby Alina move down from his hometown of Gympie at the end of January.

With younger brother Iszac also joining the Junior Titans program from Melbourne's system late last year, Fa'asuamaleuai plans to put him up once he's slept in his own bed for the first time in seven months.

Keeping things well and truly in the family, the Gold Coast have added Fifita's 17-year-old brother Jojo plus Klese Haas and Sione Fotuaika, the teen siblings of rising Origin props Payne and Moeaki, to their development ranks in recent months.

NRL prop Herman Ese'ese also counts among Fa'asuamaleaui's cousins.

The pull of his Queensland-based family was a key factor in Fa'asuamaleau's shift to the Titans, a lucrative three-year deal worth around $2 million also a key factor in leaving the Storm.

The Gold Coast's impressive upward trajectory also has the 20-year-old feeling right at home and considering keeping it that way for years to come.

"One of the first things was that my family live up here and I really wanted to come up and bring my daughter up to my parents and have her grandparents around," Fa'asuamaleaui said on Tuesday.

"Plus I just saw the club was moving up.

"They've been at the bottom for a while now and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to bring it up and hopefully become a powerhouse in the future. I saw that opportunity and I was really excited.

"Obviously I'm still young but I'm happy here and I've still got another two more years.

"And hopefully in the future we can buy a house and stay here for a long time."

The younger Haas, Fifita, Fotuaika and Fa'asuamaleaui siblings are all still in their teens and some way off following the paths trodden to NRL.

But Fa'asuamaleaui can already see a day when Iszac joins him at the top level now that he has overcome hip issues, a badly fractured arm and losing 2020 game time to COVID to land a spot with Burleigh Bears that sees him training with the Titans this pre-season.

"It's good to see that he's been training well and hopefully he's on the come up," Tino said.

"Hopefully I can get some sessions with him and get into him a bit.

"He's been working so hard for a while now it's good to see him slowly making his way up and I definitely think that he can make it.

"As long as he keeps working hard I think we'll see him here one day which would be pretty amazing.

"He was always the better brother growing up until he had his injury and he's definitely filled up a bit more. He's almost bigger than me so I might have to watch out for him soon."

Fa'asuamaleaui has lobbed for the Titans pre-season training with an eye on Jai Arrow's old No.13 jumper.

And further down the line, a round two local derby with Brisbane, led by good mate and State of Origin sparring partner Haas once more.

"I think it's good for us," Fa'asuamaleaui said of the rivalry that lit up the interstate arena last November.

"We're both young boys and really good mates. There's no mates on the field and we've both had that mentality where it's just 100 per cent when you get out there.

"It's good for us, it's good to have the rivalry out there and hopefully some other young boys coming through can do the same."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/12/...blings-galore/