Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rep Player

Default 2021 Post-Mortem

Thought I’d may as well kick this off now. Looking back at all the hype to the year, what worked? What didn’t, surprises? Disappointments? Let the salt flow!!!

I’ll start highlights: Seeing Fermour, Sexton,JC and Marzhew become bonafide starters in our team early days but there is hope

Lowlight: The insistence on sticking with halves that did not gel, a captain who could not break the line.
    Last edited by 5 Year Contract; 26-08-21 at 08:52 PM.

The main issue is our spine which Justin clearly has no intentions of ever fixing.

Oh, and Fifita is worth nowhere near $1.2mill. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the 100th time.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    The main issue is our spine which Justin clearly has no intentions of ever fixing.

Oh, and Fifita is worth nowhere near $1.2mill. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the 100th time.
    What is more frustrating is they finally make moves towards change with Sexton and dump him after one loss. For me what was the point of persisting with Taylor until the 2nd last game because we don’t have a viable 5/8 wis diabolical.

Also why would we extend Foges when we have him for next year and why resign Clark when ive get to see him strong together 2 good games.

We are pretending to be a professional football club. Another clean out will only produce more mediocrity that accepts no responsibility or brings any responsibility to bear on those that fail.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    What is more frustrating is they finally make moves towards change with Sexton and dump him after one loss. For me what was the point of persisting with Taylor until the 2nd last game because we don’t have a viable 5/8 wis diabolical.

Also why would we extend Foges when we have him for next year and why resign Clark when ive get to see him strong together 2 good games.
    I can understand not playing Sexton since clearly the coach was going for experience. I can cop that. I also thought Sami played really well tonight so I can't really use that as an excuse.

For me it really comes down to what our priorities are. We went and signed over $2mill on 2 forwards whilst completely neglecting to do anything about our spine. That's what's ludicrous to me. Tino, whilst he's young and has errors in him, I would say has lived up to the hype. The kid is all effort. Like tonight, there was a chase on Ponga in their ingoal, Tino was the only one there trying to pin him ingoal (and failed), the look on his face was so telling. Where is my backup? I reckon one day he'll make a great captain too.

Fifita on the other hand, I can't cop that crap. He is nothing more than a try highlight reel, lacks effort in all other areas of the game. He is nowhere near worth what we are paying him. But just like our previous forward signings, we're stuck with him, when some of that money could have actually been used to throw into the spine. We always fall for the big-name hype but it rarely ever comes off.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 26-08-21 at 09:58 PM.

Inactive User

Giving up 20+ points in just a few minutes regularly was it for me. Nothing else.
    They can’t put up a dog fight for 80mins.
    It’s sad because that’s what our club was built on by our pioneer players. We were great in the early years at hanging in there.

Selections, patterns, team styles all are irrelevant until we get that culture right of being up for the fight for 80mins every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Giving up 20+ points in just a few minutes regularly was it for me. Nothing else.
    They can’t put up a dog fight for 80mins.
    It’s sad because that’s what our club was built on by our pioneer players. We were great in the early years at hanging in there.

Selections, patterns, team styles all are irrelevant until we get that culture right of being up for the fight for 80mins every week.
    It comes down to attitude and effort. I see it amongst some of our players, but others I just don't. Whereas with all the good teams, every player works hard for one another. I don't know how you instil this across the entire team.

Pretty much sums it up for me

Until we get a decent nine going to be same old story

Team selections some of Holbrook decisions not sure what his intentions are

Use of the bench the titans rotations have been terrible all year

Proctor what has he offered this year to resign him

Fogerty isn’t the halfback to lead the titans to the semis
    Last edited by lonegull; 26-08-21 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post

You don’t play a junior half with less than 10 games experience in a must win game unless you want to give them the yips, especially if it’s a finals spot on the line.

Said before the season that we are still in a rebuild from our 2019 spoon and then covid came and put the league in disarray. Our boys haven’t had a a lot of time together to develop structures, not really.

Throw in Vlandys ball changing the game from completions and grind to possession and defence which were two of our weakest areas for the last decade and I wasn’t optimistic that we would be shaking the trees of the top dogs this year.

But looking on the bright side it seems we’ve unearthed some uncut gems all at once. Marzhew, sexton, Campbell have all looked good this year and with great contributions from guys like Herbert joliffe Moe fermor we have a solid nucleus for a squad next season with more competition in the spine with fuller Brimson turner and possibly weaver (I think he’s too young but he’s got the goods). We also have our tweed and Burleigh juniors coming through which will build on this as the first round of true JTS juniors are beginning to sprout

Overall we are we I expected we would be. Physically stronger but still mentally weak

Top 3 things
    Hooker
    Defence coaching (lenihan needs to be promoted to second chair)
    Keep the pathways open

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Until we get a decent nine going to be same old story

Team selections some of Holbrook decisions not sure what his intentions are

Use of the bench the titans rotations have been terrible all year

Proctor what has he offered this year to resign him

Fogerty isn’t the halfback to lead the titans to the semis
    yep I never got the Proctor year-extension activation either. I thought Fogarty was better tonight but he's still and always will be average.

yep I never got the Proctor year-extension activation either. I thought Fogarty was better tonight but he's still and always will be average.
    Proctors club option was very cheap like fringe depth forward cheap iirc. Big chance he is a benchy

Like Fifita on the right tbh, sexton has a good left to right pass and he’s looked more dangerous on that side

Fermor left edge fifita right edge

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    You don’t play a junior half with less than 10 games experience in a must win game unless you want to give them the yips, especially if it’s a finals spot on the line.

Said before the season that we are still in a rebuild from our 2019 spoon and then covid came and put the league in disarray. Our boys haven’t had a a lot of time together to develop structures, not really.

Throw in Vlandys ball changing the game from completions and grind to possession and defence which were two of our weakest areas for the last decade and I wasn’t optimistic that we would be shaking the trees of the top dogs this year.

But looking on the bright side it seems we’ve unearthed some uncut gems all at once. Marzhew, sexton, Campbell have all looked good this year and with great contributions from guys like Herbert joliffe Moe fermor we have a solid nucleus for a squad next season with more competition in the spine with fuller Brimson turner and possibly weaver (I think he’s too young but he’s got the goods). We also have our tweed and Burleigh juniors coming through which will build on this as the first round of true JTS juniors are beginning to sprout

Overall we are we I expected we would be. Physically stronger but still mentally weak

Top 3 things
    Hooker
    Keep the pathways open
    Some good points, I think many of us are just sick of waiting to see some success come out of this club.

I don’t care what anyone says Fafita is such a good player. He tried really hard this game and I think he has put in more effort then most players this year. Just because he can run over people doesn’t mean it’s easy. It’s pretty much impossible to play like he does for 80 minutes non stop. All the incredibly strong, quick, explosive players will drift in and out of games. They aren’t lazy they just can’t physically keep doing it for long periods of time. With that in mind and only being 21 I think he played incredibly well. This edge second rower is almost our highest try scorer in titans history. Also with our **** spine these tries have been much needed and often off of no structure.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post

Top 3 things
    Hooker
    Keep the pathways open

Walker, Walsh, Laurie, Schuster plenty of young guns thrown into the fire this year (obviously not with the finals on the line) but who knows what Sexton could of done. We could be marching into the finals now but I guess it’s all playing “whatabout”. I’m not saying I don’t see your point but I am saying that Sexton looked to be finding his groove and one loss and he’s hooked. After watching Foges last week against the storm I would of handed it back to him but I suppose then we would be with 2 x inexperienced halves.

Our “experienced” players could not deliver when we needed it. Anyways hopefully see Sexton given the keys from week 1 next year and let him learn.

To me the biggest thing is putting it together for 80 mins. At stages this year during games we looked like world beaters in the same game we also look like we would lose to a Q Cup team. Consistency, building pressure and converting opportunities

- - - Updated - - -

I think as well while some of the Fifita criticism is justified. How many times has the halves/hookers given him flat ball, flat footed with 5 guys waiting. While he needs to lift imagine him playing off the back of a Harry Grant and a lighting fast halves combo. I think having a spine that is constantly in motion and set plays and he would thrive he just needs to roll up the sleeves more