Page 99 of 176 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2626

Yeah I've seen enough of Johnson now post-injuries this year, jeez he looks sharp. Make it happen, Titans.

First Grader

Apparently he wanted a 2 year 1.8m contract but will now settle for a 2 year 1m deal. 500k a season doesn't seem to bad? 2 years seems reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Apparently he wanted a 2 year 1.8m contract but will now settle for a 2 year 1m deal. 500k a season doesn't seem to bad? 2 years seems reasonable
    Where did you get that info? Only thing I can find is that he's closer to signing with the Bulldogs.

While watching Cleary dismantle the Roosters last night I lamented the fact that we have Taylor. A player with all the attacking skills of Cleary but playing with a fraction of them on display.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Yeah I've seen enough of Johnson now post-injuries this year, jeez he looks sharp. Make it happen, Titans.
    His progress from rocks and diamonds to consistent well-rounded game manager has been way under recognised IMO. Brilliant player. 500k is a bargain.

I think our recruitment team has shot themselves in the foot with how many fringe halves they’ve contracted. Fogarty, Sexton, Boyd all contracted for 2022, then add Paul Turner and Tom Weaver.

That’s five halves. Three of them have played less than 5 NRL games. None of them have played more than 50 NRL games. The most experienced and “leader” of this group is one of the most under-performing at NRL level but we still have no one better to replace him. Poorly balanced.

Whilst there is potential there with the younger guys, at this stage none of our halves would be walk-in starters at any other club.

Then add AJ to the equation if the club decides JC is the fullback.

If they contract another half, it’s 6-7 halves in the roster for 2022. That’s unmanageable and too much of a chunk of the roster.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’re in the market for a half for that reason, despite it being one of the obvious priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    His progress from rocks and diamonds to consistent well-rounded game manager has been way under recognised IMO. Brilliant player. 500k is a bargain.

I think our recruitment team has shot themselves in the foot with how many fringe halves they’ve contracted. Fogarty, Sexton, Boyd all contracted for 2022, then add Paul Turner and Tom Weaver.

That’s five halves. Three of them have played less than 5 NRL games. None of them have played more than 50 NRL games. The most experienced and “leader” of this group is one of the most under-performing at NRL level but we still have no one better to replace him. Poorly balanced.

Whilst there is potential there with the younger guys, at this stage none of our halves would be walk-in starters at any other club.

If they contract another half, it’s 6-7 halves in the roster for 2022. That’s unmanageable and too much of a chunk of the roster.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’re in the market for a half for that reason, despite it being one of the obvious priorities
    That's quite depressing when you put it that way HS. So many halves yet our current halves would be in the worst two combinations in the NRL. If we take those same contracted halves in to 2022, we can write that season off right now.
    I would probably tell Fogarty and Boyd they are free to leave if they can get better longer term deals and see what happens there. Even though we have so many halves contracted, none would be on big money, so I would just throw the $500k at Johnson and see what pans out. I think the club must do something in the halves.

Yeah I don’t disagree with much of that MT. The fact they’re not on big money definitely creates some hope but having that many halves on the roster means you’re sacrificing players in other positions that can accommodate the top 30. Then you create depth issues with other parts of the squad.

Inactive User

Kick back relax, be patient, develop our players and just wait for Weaver, Kini and Sexton to come through.
    Eat well, exercise and believe in the 5 year plan.

To me the choice is obvious where AJ was already a very good 5/8 in the making but under previous regimes his development potential there was defunct. Campbell is showing he will substantially improve with every game (unlike Boyd) so leave him there and bring AJ onto the bench where he is either replacing Taylor or Fogs which ever one doesn’t rise to the occasion from the get go not at half time (do your F@cking jobs). I think this team looks ok on paper for Sunday (without Proctor there) and goes to another level with AJ on the bench. Hey if Taylor and Fogs fire (if that’s possible) AJ has great utility value that we can utilise him another way and where ever that is we have to get his smarts on the ball.

Sh!t I know where Hurricane is coming from with trying to stay solid with all the pre-season invested interest but come on man it hasn’t worked and a little tweak may just catapult our season (might as well have a go mate).

Another thing is Erin Clarke, this guy’s improvement from game to game is quite astonishing if you think about it. In fact if he had good halves around him he would go to another level IMO (maybe elite) and he could be our long term answer to the 9 but he needs an elevation in class of halves around him (AJ could be one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Kick back relax, be patient, develop our players and just wait for Weaver, Kini and Sexton to come through.
    Eat well, exercise and believe in the 5 year plan.
    I'm with you regarding the long-term plan around the club Bodsie and strongly believe that local development is the sustainable way to success. We can't be signing players for immediate gains if it costs us future NRL players that are in our system, that's a non-negotiable. My only criticism is that carrying all four of Boyd, Sexton, Turner & Weaver is 2 too many in the same bucket but that issue has only come to a head as a result of how poor Fogarty has been.

I also think we need good mentors for Boyd, Sexton, Turner, JC and Weaver. I don't think we have a half currently which can teach them much to excel in the next level, sure Fogarty is great off the field but his game management is sub par and he is not creative. That's one reason I'm pushing for Shaun Johnson so bad because I think he would be a great role model for our upcoming halves on and off the field.

You paint a worrying picture. But you've followed the money here.

I'd love SJ. I hope the club makes a play.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I also think we need good mentors for Boyd, Sexton, Turner, JC and Weaver. I don't think we have a half currently which can teach them much to excel in the next level
    That's a good observation too.

I believe in our juniors, but in the short term I do think we need an injection of leadership, organisation and experience.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

I’ll say it again
    Holbrook was a half
    Brad Davis was a half
    Presto played in the halves
    Fogs is a half

We have “mentors” for our halves

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’ll say it again
    Holbrook was a half
    Brad Davis was a half
    Presto played in the halves
    Fogs is a half

We have “mentors” for our halves
    Besides Fogarty, I doubt any of our young halves would have ever seen the people you named play footy before (maybe some highlight reals of Preston Campbell on Youtube/Facebook). I think our juniors need to have players around them which are relatable and can guide them through their own careers represented by actions on and off the field, in this case Shaun Johnson.

Bods I am 100% with you that I want our juniors halves to succeed but at the moment they are unproven at NRL level. I think it would be wiser to hedge our bets with an experienced half and groom someone like Sexton/Turner/Weaver into the 5/8 position over the next 2 years. I believe this way our juniors can ease their way into first grade instead of being thrown the keys to the squad and are put in a sink or swim position.

You can already see in the current squad we lack leadership and don't have any real sort of General who commands the ball or steps up in clutch play moments. At the price Shaun Johnson is rumoured to be wanting I think its a low risk option which has far more upside as opposed to downside.

Lets agree to disagree Bods, but I do love your loyalty and belief in our juniors!! I guess I am not as bullish due to our track record of bringing players through our system (especially halves).

Rep Player

I take your point, but I think it’s worst case scenario. What I think could happen if we were to sign SJ is Boyd plays as a depth hooker and Turner as a utility taking Peachey’s place in the squad. That would leave Fogarty and SJ as starting halves and Sexton as depth. Weaver I believe is on a development contract (correct me if I’m wrong). That’s 3 halves pending resolution of the AJ/Campbell situation and Boyd/Turner as further depth. I don’t think Boyd will be with us beyond 2022 anyway.