Page 63 of 176 FirstFirst ... 13 53 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 73 113 163 ... LastLast
    Banned

I just watched on YouTube 2018 highlights gold coast vs cowboys Thurston last match

You should see Anthony Don break the line

Now a days he walks to the line

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Figures being bandied about are he was asking for $800k. Crazy. If he wants three years and a place to come to that isn't ravaged by covid then his asking price should be 2/3 that. Shame the talk on Brandon Smith has gone quiet.
    Deadset! 800k for an unproven super league player and 3 years to boot....obviously drugs are still easy to obtain during lockdown over there! It does worry me that we are still without a gun Half, hooker and strike centre/wing for next year and dont seem to even be in the discussion with any of the decent ones off contract for next year. We need patience in this rebuild but we cant afford another wasted season but unless we get the spine and strike backs we need we aint contending

Rep Player

Who does he think he is? Sam Tomkins?

Inactive User

I think the power brokers should now think of this season as year one of a five year plan culminating in TWeaver being our playmaker when we win the 2025 GF.
    Therefore we should be only targeting players 24 years old and younger and moving on respectfully and gratefully the likes of Rein, Don, Proctor ATaylor Wallace etc when their current contracts expire.
    We clearly are nowhere near it and a lot more reshaping of the list and patience with juniors is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I think the power brokers should now think of this season as year one of a five year plan culminating in TWeaver being our playmaker when we win the 2025 GF.
    Therefore we should be only targeting players 24 years old and younger and moving on respectfully and gratefully the likes of Rein, Don, Proctor ATaylor Wallace etc when their current contracts expire.
    We clearly are nowhere near it and a lot more reshaping of the list and patience with juniors is required.
    I think we need some experience in our squad, Mo, Fifita, Tino, Tanah are young. AJ, Brian Kelly are not as young but still young. Let alone the next generation of players on our books Jojo Fifita, Darius Farmer, Sexton, Weaver, Campbell. They need people who can inspire and bring out the best in them on and off the field.

I honestly think we need an experienced half or hooker right now to further develop what we already have. I actually think Shaun Johnson would be perfect for us as a 5/8 has a bit of spark, great off the field, turns up at training and inspires the young guys around him, good club spokesperson and well liked by the public. Not to mention he was one of the inform halves last year before his injury.

Could not agree more with Bodsie. Weaver is our future superstar and we have some really good hookers coming through.

What evidence is there that we aren't in negotiations with other players? Just because the Club isn't crapping-on to the media about some half-baked bs doesn't mean they are ineffectual. I have great confidence that our Club isn't sitting on their hands and they want to win more than any of us do. Patience and faith in the Club is what's required right now.

What we are missing is a Bull Bailey to pull the mothers into line.
    Last edited by Titanic; 07-05-21 at 02:12 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Marsters and Turner came out of nowhere so the club doesn’t seem to be too bothered with keeping journos in the loop. Agree with indo that Johnson is the perfect fit for us right now, provided he drops his asking price. I suspect he will to avoid being shipped off to England. Would also love a Bull Bailey type in our pack but who even is there? Wallace should be filling that role and I’ve rated him highly this year but I don’t know if he’s quite the pack leader we need. I wish Birdman was still around.

Rep Player

Regardless of so called journos (like ******** Badel) yeah that stuff is 95% manager drivel, that said there are some other decent sources around and no matter what the information is always out there and is normally on the money, thats not to say we arent active in the market and we seem smart enough not to show our hand. Dunno like everyone maybe I just want to see us rumoured to pick up what we need.

What I do like is what the broncos have become is what we were a few years back. Any off contract player is now linked to them just to drive up their asking price with their current clubs.

No offence to masters and turner but they arent going to be the pieces we need (yet) and while they arent without potential to be honest i'd just be happy with a player who elevates our current team (and given the state of our backs and halves that wont be hard to do.)

Regardless we need get our spine right, and get some strike backs in. I think the work our club has done with the juniors is nothing short of outstanding. That is going to take a few years to really start saying dividends... in the meantime we need an experienced half to lead our young guns through and some game breaking backs that can do the hard work and arent turnstyles.

If we trot out the performances we have the last 3 weeks, the fans stop turning up, and we lose momentum. No doubt we are in the right direction. With the Donkeys in shambles we really have the opporunity to be the club that every young player wants to go to.
    Last edited by 5 Year Contract; 07-05-21 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Weaver is our future superstar
    Many of us said the same about Ash T, and while I hope Weaver becomes a star, it is extremely risky just hoping or assuming it will happen. He is at least few years off and we can't just wait. By then Tino and Fifita may have become disillusioned and left.

As others have said, wow, wouldn't a Bull Bailey (or Bird) be great right now. I agree with T that our club is hopefully working towards signing players and that these shouldn't be played out in the media. I would like to see us stitch up a decent half pretty quickly though or the boat will have sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Many of us said the same about Ash T, and while I hope Weaver becomes a star, it is extremely risky just hoping or assuming it will happen. He is at least few years off and we can't just wait. By then Tino and Fifita may have become disillusioned and left.

As others have said, wow, wouldn't a Bull Bailey (or Bird) be great right now. I agree with T that our club is hopefully working towards signing players and that these shouldn't be played out in the media. I would like to see us stitch up a decent half pretty quickly though or the boat will have sailed.
    Which boat is this mate?... Honestly looking around at the talent pool for halves that are 1. Good/have potential, 2. Available and 3. Not completely over the hill, the pickings are pretty slim at best.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 07-05-21 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Which boat is this mate?... Honestly looking around at the talent pool for halves that are 1. Good/have potential, 2. Available and 3. Not completely over the hill, the pickings are pretty slim at best.
    Plenty of posts above mate give you an idea of what halves are off contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Plenty of posts above mate give you an idea of what halves are off contract.
    ? They're all either over the hill, unproven or injury-prone.

Someone could post the list again but from what I remember, there isn't exactly much on offer in terms of spine players and what makes it a bit harder is that when someone does become available, we won't have as much money for a 9 and 6/7 because we paid $1.5mill for a second rower.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 07-05-21 at 06:34 PM.

Who’s the second rower on 1.5m? Otherwise I tend to agree GT.

Yet to be convinced by anyone that an 800k Adam Reynolds is what we need right now. To be honest I really don’t understand the desire to be active in the marquee half market when the marquee halves in the market are literally Reynolds, Milford, SJ and our beloved Ash Taylor. Yes I’ve used the word marquee very loosely. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 07-05-21 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Who’s the second rower on 1.5m? Otherwise I tend to agree GT.

Yet to be convinced by anyone that an 800k Adam Reynolds is what we need right now. To be honest I really don’t understand the desire to be active in the marquee half market when the marquee halves in the market are literally Reynolds, Milford, SJ and our beloved Ash Taylor. Yes I’ve used the word marquee very loosely. Am I missing something?
    Oh, $1.2 mill, my bad. Still a lot to play for a forward.