Page 28 of 176 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 128 ... LastLast

He would of signed and started training by now if he was going to play.. I think he just didn’t want the media hype etc when ending his career

Oh well....looks like we're stuck with the Rein/Clark/Boyd rotation for another year...that's a pretty big hole in our spine imho.

The recent articles out of the storm camp give me hope that Brandon Smith situation is still a possibility to sign elsewhere before the November deadline. Cheese says he wants to play 9 wether at Melbourne or elsewhere. Says he is physically not cut-out to play 13 after breaking his face twice. Says he's happy to sick it out at storm as Craig's said the position is still up for grabs. Then in another article, Craig praises Smith's versatility and says the 9 jersey is up for grabs between Smith and Grant, but also indicates Grant is the favoured choice. It seems inevitable that Grant gets the starting hooker job and smith is left jilted at the altar. While it's all well and good for Storm to demand a player of similar value in a trade in order to allow Smith an early release, I would imagine that if Smith becomes extremely upset about the situation and kicks up a fuss, surely Melbourne will come to the party. I live in hope

I don't like out current hooking options/depth at all. I will be disappointed if we don't pick someone up, even if only for depth, before round 1

Preston back where he belongs....all we need is Matt Rogers to build our culture and who we are. Onwards and upwards!!
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/25/...ial-conundrum/

WILL CAMERON SMITH PULL A TOM BRADY?

Cameron Smith launching his book at Suncorp Stadium. Pic Peter Wallis
    Cameron Smith launching his book at Suncorp Stadium. Pic Peter Wallis
    Is Cameron Smith preparing to do with the Gold Coast Titans what Tom Brady has done with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL?

The truth is your guess is as good as ours.

But the latest Smith sighting at a Gold Coast Titans under 19s trial in Coffs Harbour has poured more fuel on the NRL’s greatest guessing game.

The Titans have consistently denied being linked to Smith making a cameo appearance at the club in 2021.

What is 100 per cent is after winning his third grand final with the Storm last year, Smith and his family have re-located to the Sunshine State.

So when the Immortal-in-waiting got spotted at a Titans under 19s trial in Coffs Harbour last Saturday it sparked the latest round of “is Cameron playing on again”?

In fairness Smith was in northern NSW with ex-Storm teammate Matt Geyer, whose son Cole plays in the Gold Coast under 19s side.

Smith is Cole’s godfather.

Also on hand at the same Titans trial match was coach Justin Holbrook and new recruit Tino Fa’asuamaleuai.

Fa’asuamaleuai’s younger brother Iszac is also part of the Titans under 19s squad.

For the record, the Titans continue to deny they have spoken to Smith.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...content=static
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Cole wasn’t even playing for the Titans 19s, he was playing for Burleigh Colts

If we don't get smith, who do we aim for at hooker?

Local juniors??

I know Brandon Smith has been linked to us, I feel we should definitely be putting some feelers out for Cam McInnes as he reportly might not be in red V next season. Similar player to Brandon Smith but probably has more leadership qualities and potentially less $.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...faasuamaleaui/

Interesting that Darius Farmer is training as a middle forward.

What's with the rumours going around today of us about to sign Brandon Smith? Anything in it? All paywalled so haven't bothered to check.

Gold Coast Titans close to signing Melbourne Storm star Brandon Smith
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

They’ve already signed stars Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and David Fifita, now the Gold Coast Titans are on the verge of securing another major coup.

The Gold Coast Titans are in the box seat to sign Kiwi Test star Brandon Smith.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Gold Coast appears Smith’s most likely home from 2022 if the Titans can strike a deal with Melbourne.

Smith, 24, is contracted to the Storm until the end of the 2022 NRL season, but has been granted permission to explore opportunities elsewhere given his desire to be a starting hooker.

Maroons sensation Harry Grant is set to start the season in Melbourne’s No. 9 jersey after returning to the Storm from Wests Tigers.

The Titans have had their eye on Smith for close to a year, long before he hit the open market, and have been working behind the scenes to bring him north.

Gold Coast recruitment chief Ezra Howe is heavily involved in the Kiwis representative program.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Melbourne’s Brandon Smith is one of the NRL’s best hookers. (Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images)

The Titans hoped to have Smith on board for the 2021 NRL season, but rejected Melbourne’s proposal to trade Queensland Origin stars Tino Fa’asuamaleaui or Moeaki Fotuaika in return.

While he has received strong interest from at least one Sydney club, Smith’s desire is to live on the Gold Coast and he will likely end up at the Titans.

Melbourne is renowned for playing hardball in the release of contracted players, as evidenced by NSW Origin winger Josh Addo-Carr’s failed return to Sydney this year.

The Storm will not let Smith go without compensation which remains the final hurdle in the Gold Coast’s pursuit of “The Block of Cheese”.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has been building a quality squad since taking the reins of the club last year.

The signings of Fa’asuamaleaui and David Fifita were considered huge coups and Smith will be a blue-chip acquisition for 2022, potentially making the Gold Coast a genuine title contender.

The Titans have struggled for a quality, durable and consistent No. 9 over the past few years.

Former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats has left the club and off-contract Mitch Rein will start at dummy-half this year.

The Titans also have Tanah Boyd and Erin Clark as back-up hookers, but a premiership-winning Test player like Smith will take the team to another level.

Nathan Friend, the Titans’ foundation hooker and arguably the club’s greatest ever No. 9, said Smith would be a huge signing for the Gold Coast.

“I think he is a fantastic player,” he said.

“The last few years people have realised the importance of a hooker that can get through 80 minutes and direct the team around. He could change his body composition a bit to endure 80 minutes and excel.

“It’s been evident at the Melbourne Storm how important it is down there. If you can have a decent hooker at any club you will see they go okay.

“Brandon Smith is one of the best utilities you can find. He is a running hooker but there’s no doubt he can direct traffic around him, stick to a plan and take opportunities when they present.

“He has got where he has because of determination and his will to win. He is not the most skilful, but he would be one of the toughest guys you’d see out there. He gives 100 per cent.

“The Titans would be silly not to chase him.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    What's with the rumours going around today of us about to sign Brandon Smith? Anything in it? All paywalled so haven't bothered to check.
    We've always been his preferred destination, just can't stike a deal with Melbourne on the swap

So if true. Who does the club trade ?? I’d offer Peachy.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

If we did get Brandon then this team doesn't have a single weakness. Stacked across the park with legitimate depth almost everywhere. Never thought i'd see the day when we'd challenge for a Premiership but it would feel very close with a talent like the Cheese as the final piece to the puzzle.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 29-01-21 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    So if true. Who does the club trade ?? I’d offer Peachy.
    I'd offer up Peachey, Wallace, Ese'ese, Lisone, Whitebread, Stone (they need forwards, we have too many)...

Rep Player

I think Wallace is the odd man out. The kind of formerly-good player who has fallen off the wagon that Bellamy loves to reinvigorate.