Page 165 of 176 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2626

Ok after a year and a half since Holbrook this is what I see has changed. The focus has been on buying players on the cheap that have a possible upside. Since coming we have got Thompson, Herbert and Lisone which were not getting used much at there clubs but have turned out excellent buys for us and probably at a good price for all three. Along with that we have picked up a couple from Reserve grade in Jolliffe who has been good and Fogarty who has has been ok with good and bad thrown in. He has also debuted JC, Sexton and Marzhew as well as developed Fermor and Clarke who would all been on low wages. He has also purchased McIntyre which I think goes ok and wasn't really in the Tigers plans and Ese Ese which has got limited time but I think was ok when he did play. I am not saying any of these players are amazing except for maybe Thompson but Hollbrook has been able to bring through or buy players on the cheap and develop them.

At the same time he has started to clear out the dead wood with Peats, Cartwright, James, Copley, Shannon Boyd, Roberts and now Whitbread and Stone moving on and Rein and Taylor likely to move on. I am sure I missed a few but those come to mind first. I think we have also seen some of the best of Peachy since Hollbrook has come.

Three of our best buys although more expensive have been Tino, Fifita and now Issac Lui. I also see Hollbrook as being patient and wanting the right guy for the right price and prepared to wait for that to happen. Yes we do need a hooker and half and maybe an outside back but it looks like we are waiting for the right person.

I think with the Junior system up working well and our astute buying on the cheaper end that it will set us up to make some plays at some bigger names to improve the side. I guess what I am saying is I think we have bought cheap except for the big names of Tino, Fifita and Lui so I think there is a big upside in what Hollbrook is doing.

I get that lots of us criticise his selections every week like putting Taylor in but to be honest we haven't had many options as Boyd has not gone on and often we don't have many better options in certain positions.

I think we are far from there yet but I can see a plan, build local juniors and develop them as well as buy cheap and get good value for money while getting rid of dead wood and being patient to buy the more expensive better players.

I think we have set ourselves up better than we have before and I think we are slowly making advances to where we want. Yes we all get frustrated a lot but I see improvement in what we are doing. Anyway just some thoughts.
    Psmitty

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Ok after a year and a half since Holbrook this is what I see has changed. The focus has been on buying players on the cheap that have a possible upside. Since coming we have got Thompson, Herbert and Lisone which were not getting used much at there clubs but have turned out excellent buys for us and probably at a good price for all three. Along with that we have picked up a couple from Reserve grade in Jolliffe who has been good and Fogarty who has has been ok with good and bad thrown in. He has also debuted JC, Sexton and Marzhew as well as developed Fermor and Clarke who would all been on low wages. He has also purchased McIntyre which I think goes ok and wasn't really in the Tigers plans and Ese Ese which has got limited time but I think was ok when he did play. I am not saying any of these players are amazing except for maybe Thompson but Hollbrook has been able to bring through or buy players on the cheap and develop them.

At the same time he has started to clear out the dead wood with Peats, Cartwright, James, Copley, Shannon Boyd, Roberts and now Whitbread and Stone moving on and Rein and Taylor likely to move on. I am sure I missed a few but those come to mind first. I think we have also seen some of the best of Peachy since Hollbrook has come.

Three of our best buys although more expensive have been Tino, Fifita and now Issac Lui. I also see Hollbrook as being patient and wanting the right guy for the right price and prepared to wait for that to happen. Yes we do need a hooker and half and maybe an outside back but it looks like we are waiting for the right person.

I think with the Junior system up working well and our astute buying on the cheaper end that it will set us up to make some plays at some bigger names to improve the side. I guess what I am saying is I think we have bought cheap except for the big names of Tino, Fifita and Lui so I think there is a big upside in what Hollbrook is doing.

I get that lots of us criticise his selections every week like putting Taylor in but to be honest we haven't had many options as Boyd has not gone on and often we don't have many better options in certain positions.

I think we are far from there yet but I can see a plan, build local juniors and develop them as well as buy cheap and get good value for money while getting rid of dead wood and being patient to buy the more expensive better players.

I think we have set ourselves up better than we have before and I think we are slowly making advances to where we want. Yes we all get frustrated a lot but I see improvement in what we are doing. Anyway just some thoughts.

Some much needed pragmatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    If Mo isn’t prepared to stay for about $50k a year under the other offers then I’m afraid we will have to let him go.
    Our future success depends on our local lads staying for a bit less because they dream of bringing the GC our first premiership.
    Yes Bods all successful clubs talk of players staying for less it’s really the only way a club can build a top notch roster

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    If Mo isn’t prepared to stay for about $50k a year under the other offers then I’m afraid we will have to let him go.
    Our future success depends on our local lads staying for a bit less because they dream of bringing the GC our first premiership.
    Unfortunately in todays NRL money talks. We arent the storm so we havent done anything to warrant players wanting to stay for less. We dont have a culture and club built on success with elite coaching and a pipeline of genuine talent ready to step in.

However, we are on our way and are at least taking steps towards building the right culture. Once we can put together our junior pathways and can then become a club which is solid mix of Marquee signings and home grown talent. As it stands now we need to keep paying for quality, unfortunately and if im Mo and am getting offered more money then you would be taking it. As I said peachy and proctor are on 600k and Mo offers more than they do
    Last edited by 5 Year Contract; 19-08-21 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Unfortunately in todays NRL money talks. We arent the storm so we havent done anything to warrant players wanting to stay for less. We dont have a culture and club built on success with elite coaching and a pipeline of genuine talent ready to step in.

However, we are on our way and are at least taking steps towards building the right culture. Once we can put together our junior pathways and can then become a club which is solid mix of Marquee signings and home grown talent. As it stands now we need to keep paying for quality, unfortunately and if im Mo and am getting offered more money then you would be taking it. As I said peachy and proctor are on 600k and Mo offers more than they do
    Proctor would be on closer to half of that mate. Peach is on big coin though.

But, neither play the same position, nor will be here in 2023 when we're talking about Mo's extension. So I'd be really surprised if this comes into his decision making process at all.

He def deserves more than both of them but I'd also say its pretty widely agreed that Peach is well overpaid
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 19-08-21 at 01:29 PM.

"Off the record" it was reported Peach was on $500k when he wanted the extra $50k for making origin after he signed with us. But the team allegedly held fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    "Off the record" it was reported Peach was on $500k when he wanted the extra $50k for making origin after he signed with us. But the team allegedly held fast.
    "Off the record" yeah I remember that, didn't he follow it up by asking for a release back to Penrith?

Rep Player

Chris Garry reporting that “ AJ will he moved to 5/8 next year and JC fullback (the rest of this season will be the audition) it will then be either Foges or Sexton paired with him….hahaha again are these guys just reading the forum.

Chris Garry reporting that “ AJ will he moved to 5/8 next year and JC fullback (the rest of this season will be the audition) it will then be either Foges or Sexton paired with him….hahaha again are these guys just reading the forum.
    Wallace on Hot Tomato thinks that JC should be 6. Maybe mdrew can comment on that point but I thought in his first few games he looked more like a 6 than a FB.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Wallace on Hot Tomato thinks that JC should be 6. Maybe mdrew can comment on that point but I thought in his first few games he looked more like a 6 than a FB.
    I dont mind that idea to be honest. JC at least played 5/8 and if he packed on a few more kgs in the offseason I think a sexton/JC combo would be dynamic. I guess it comes down to how AJ holds up body/pace-wise.

I wonder if you could convert foges into Peachys role if we dont re-sign him?

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post

This is a great post and sums things up well. I do like all the cheaper signings and that Holbrook has been able to get the best out of these players. Also the junior systems are up and running and we seem like we are going to get the most out of it. Buying players back from the area has been a good move as well.
    Also the club has identified the deadwood and gotten rid of them. That’s been very important. The amount of players who have left has been enormous. I didn’t want to lose James and hipgrave but the club was right and they unfortunately haven’t played well this year.
    The frustration from me has been the lack of spine players but we probably weren’t able to buy quality for the right price so we haven’t bought anything at all.
    Even if moe leaves it’s not necessarily a bad thing. If someone wants to pay him overs that’s there choice and it’s no fault of the player to take that money either. The key is that they perform well for the price whilst they are here. Moe has performed great for the titans and good on him and the club for that.

Immortal

Not a fan of Jayden Campbell at five eight, his best attribute is his speed and elusiveness when in space and obviously those attributes are best at fullback.

Also to be fair to Jayden Campbell he has not played five eight since 2018 at Helensvale in the GCRL U20 competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post

Why this didn't happen when JC was first brought into fullback this year is still a puzzle.
    We stayed with Taylor WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Why this didn't happen when JC was first brought into fullback this year is still a puzzle.
    We stayed with Taylor WTF.
    TRying to make finals I guess

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    TRying to make finals I guess
    crazy aint it