Page 152 of 176 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 162 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2626

Jeeze I think Sam Macintyre would suit the playing 20 minutes on the edge then the rest of the match as a fill in middle much better than Proctor offers.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjacks View Post
    Jeeze I think Sam Macintyre would suit the playing 20 minutes on the edge then the rest of the match as a fill in middle much better than Proctor offers.
    Truer words have rarely been spoken.

First Grader

RAIDERS LINKED TO TITANS HALF ON CUT-PRICE DEAL

The Canberra Raiders are looking at making Titans half Ash Taylor an offer for $250,000 to switch from the Gold Coast for next season.

The Australian’s Brent Read reported on Triple M that the Raiders are one of a number of clubs keeping a close eye on Taylor given he will command a fraction of his current $1 million a season asking price when he signs his next deal.

“Canberra have been offered Ash Taylor potentially next season because he is obviously off-contract at around the $250,000 to $300,000 mark,” Read said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour with MG and Liam.

“I think Canberra were a bit hesitant about that. I think they were a bit concerned about how Ash Taylor might fit into the nation’s capital and if he wasn’t playing regular first grade how that would pan out.

“But obviously after the weekend it caused a rethink. Ash Taylor was sensational for the Gold Coast.

“They are keeping a watching brief on him, Canberra. I don’t think they are the only club.

“I think there is a few clubs that are watching the Ash Taylor situation and working out whether they make a play for him or not, particularly if you get him at $250,000 he is a pretty good buy Ash Taylor, especially if he keeps playing the way he is.

“The Gold Coast haven’t put a line through him yet. But there are certainly some other clubs monitoring him.

“I would expect some sort of resolution on Ash Taylor in the next few weeks. I think at some point some club is going to pull the trigger on him just because he is playing pretty well.”

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    RAIDERS LINKED TO TITANS HALF ON CUT-PRICE DEAL

The Canberra Raiders are looking at making Titans half Ash Taylor an offer for $250,000 to switch from the Gold Coast for next season.

The Australian’s Brent Read reported on Triple M that the Raiders are one of a number of clubs keeping a close eye on Taylor given he will command a fraction of his current $1 million a season asking price when he signs his next deal.

“Canberra have been offered Ash Taylor potentially next season because he is obviously off-contract at around the $250,000 to $300,000 mark,” Read said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour with MG and Liam.

“I think Canberra were a bit hesitant about that. I think they were a bit concerned about how Ash Taylor might fit into the nation’s capital and if he wasn’t playing regular first grade how that would pan out.

“But obviously after the weekend it caused a rethink. Ash Taylor was sensational for the Gold Coast.

“They are keeping a watching brief on him, Canberra. I don’t think they are the only club.

“I think there is a few clubs that are watching the Ash Taylor situation and working out whether they make a play for him or not, particularly if you get him at $250,000 he is a pretty good buy Ash Taylor, especially if he keeps playing the way he is.

“The Gold Coast haven’t put a line through him yet. But there are certainly some other clubs monitoring him.

“I would expect some sort of resolution on Ash Taylor in the next few weeks. I think at some point some club is going to pull the trigger on him just because he is playing pretty well.”
    Interesting comment that Ash was sensational on the weekend. A few of us on here would beg to differ.
    If he goes to Canberra, he would follow the steps of Ryan James. That's worked out well.

I’ve always liked Read as a journo but that just took a hit, however I’d sign Taylor for 250/300.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I wouldn't take Taylor for free…shake his hand and say "thanks, but no thanks".

First Grader

I wonder if the club will just offer him a 1 year deal at 25k less than what he gets offered elsewhere

Think it would be best for us and best for Ash if he took that contract at Canberra. Gives him a change of environment and gets to play under a big forward pack which should protect him, gives us a chance to keep going forward with our new culture and drop relics from the Brennan area. I know it's not much money for a half and Ash has shown flashes of brilliance but it would be in both of our interests to have a fresh start so hopefully both can blossum.....just not together

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Titanitis View Post

As far as Ash goes, I think he can still make a go of it in the NRL, just not for us. Odds are he goes somewhere with well established systems and plays better than he ever has for us in the past 5 years. But I think it is the best for both him and the club to move on.
    What's the reasoning behind this? Because you and a handful of others don't like him? Why would we let somebody go that odds on will play better than he has in the last five years?

I'm still yet to hear from anyone on here what a better alternative is.

Here is the things that we do know about the halves options in our 2021 roster:

> Boyd got his chance at 6 and was underwhelming.
    > Fogarty is a through and through 7, not a 6 (like Sexton), and his defence is worse than Taylors.
    > Turner hasn't played in a long time because of a severe injury and is an unknown at NRL level.
    > AJ is only just maturing as a fullback so it would be silly to move him now and Campbell is tiny and therefore a defensive liability.
    > Clarke (I'll also throw in Peachey even though he's unsigned) are not really in the question and are utilities at best.

We all know that Ash has been through some well documented hard times over the years and has nowhere came close to earning his paycheck, but he is a far better option than anybody on that list above or anybody that is AVAILABLE on the market.

Further, he is going to want to pay the club back for all the support that we have provided him and knows our system and what Holbrook is trying to instil into the team. I get why you all don't like him but there is nothing to gain by cutting off your nose, just to spite your face.

I don't think we are any worse off with Fogarty and Sexton as the halfs. Difference is we have cash in the cap for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    What's the reasoning behind this? Because you and a handful of others don't like him? Why would we let somebody go that odds on will play better than he has in the last five years?

> Fogarty is a through and through 7, not a 6 (like Sexton), and his defence is worse than Taylors.
    > Turner hasn't played in a long time because of a severe injury and is an unknown at NRL level.
    > AJ is only just maturing as a fullback so it would be silly to move him now and Campbell is tiny and therefore a defensive liability.
    > Clarke (I'll also throw in Peachey even though he's unsigned) are not really in the question and are utilities at best.

We all know that Ash has been through some well documented hard times over the years and has nowhere came close to earning his paycheck, but he is a far better option than anybody on that list above or anybody that is AVAILABLE on the market.

Further, he is going to want to pay the club back for all the support that we have provided him and knows our system and what Holbrook is trying to instil into the team. I get why you all don't like him but there is nothing to gain by cutting off your nose, just to spite your face.
    This 100%. I would be happy to let Taylor go for sure, but all the potential signings were not pursued and our existing options are as you put it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I don't think we are any worse off with Fogarty and Sexton as the halfs. Difference is we have cash in the cap for something else.
    I think we are worse off with Fogarty in the team, probably marginally but worse in my opinion. Fogarty has the worst kicking game of just about all of the NRL halves and does little else. Taylor's kicking game is often lacking, especially kicking straight in to the legs of defenders, but occasionally he gets it right. Fogarty just bombs, and they never put any pressure on the catcher.
    I would have rather cleaned out both of them but our recruitment guys didn't go after the ones available. All I know is, that we will not win anything with any of these combinations, plus the sub-standard hookers we have.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post

NZF you write some good stuff but this is not a personal (like) thing with Taylor I don't know the guy. It really is like I've previously stated;

"We are a club and a for profit business and Taylor is a loosing investment no matter what way you look at it so take your loss and move onto your next trade as quick as possible. What you don’t do is get transfixed in the hope that investment will eventually turn around and you definitely don’t invest more into this investment just because it becomes cheaper."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I did notice Taylor clutching his shoulder late in the game so?
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 09-08-21 at 07:43 PM. Reason: thumbs up not appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post

"We are a club and a for profit business and Taylor is a loosing investment no matter what way you look at it so take your loss and move onto your next trade as quick as possible. What you don’t do is get transfixed in the hope that investment will eventually turn around and you definitely don’t invest more into this investment just because it becomes cheaper."

For me it is no so much the investment. It is simply, if we cut Ash, are the remaining halves better options. For me the answer is no. That is the only reason I would retain him as things stand right now.

Can’t see how Sexton and Fogarty work in the same side work, need a creative 5/8.
    Taylor has not been my favourite over the last few years but I will withhold judgement on re signing him until post Rabbitohs and Storm.
    One area we haven’t improved is our record against top 8 sides, so now we will find out over the next two weeks where we are at.
    Not a popular opinion but thought Proctor went ok the past two weeks in the middle once Fifita came on, with that I’m out against his 2022 o tract.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post

I understand that sentiment Rav and I can see why you’d want to err on the side of caution. However, 250/300k is a fair price for him how he is playing at the moment, if not unders. If we have the money for him and there’s no better options, then there is no point in letting him leave. At the end of the day plenty of players on that wage sit on the sidelines and don’t play NRL. If he’s not performing then he can be dropped.