Page 141 of 176 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2626
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    I think we are all in agreeance there but the issue remains is who is available really? Most of the off contract players are mud so our only chance is to entice a second fiddle hooker at another club who might want a starting spot.
    We had our chances to secure the best 2 halves available for next year in Reynolds or Hynes and whilst we may not have secured either of them, what concerns me is that:
    1. We knew we had a problem in these positions at the beginning of the year:
    2. We string and continue to string Ash all year to prove himself and had continued to fail to do so
    3. We extend Fogerty for 3023 when there was no need to do so
    4. We did not plan and make decisions to make room to at least have a crack at one of them
    5. We just did not enter into any negotiations and as such we will continue to struggle next year

All the bottom clubs ( apart from the Tigers) have made significant improvements to their squads for next year and the issue is that they will move ahead of next year due to their aggressive recruitment and our inability to recruit
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 31-07-21 at 04:51 PM.

Inactive User

Once again….we have Amazing halves coming through and to lose them by being a Brennan would be tragic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Once again….we have Amazing halves coming through and to lose them by being a Brennan would be tragic
    I should go back and find the thread about the last amazing half we had coming through.
    His name was Ash Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I should go back and find the thread about the last amazing half we had coming through.
    His name was Ash Taylor.
    And Kane Elgey.

I think its as simple as the club didn't want to sign Reynolds or Hynes and thats that. They're not part of the plan and I'd back the club personnel with vision over the playing group, pathways, salary cap position, and club's recruitment direction, to make that call.

I agree about Fogs and also think we extended Boyd too early WD. I can see the merit in having Fogs around the club but we're in trouble so long as he is our best 7.

The bottom clubs have to recruit heavily mate...they're the bottom clubs. I wouldn't confuse activity with progression though and I'm waiting to see the outcome of some of that recruitment (looking at you Bulldogs) to judge it. Inability to recruit and deciding not to recruit the players you want the club to sign are 2 different things as well WD. If you do have a solution for hooker then please let me know because the 2022 options available are terribad

- - - Updated - - -

His name was Ash Taylor.
    It would actually probably be AJ Brimson and Toby Sexton if you looked hard enough MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I think its as simple as the club didn't want to sign Reynolds or Hynes and thats that. They're not part of the plan and I'd back the club personnel with vision over the playing group, pathways, salary cap position, and club's recruitment direction, to make that call.

I agree about Fogs and also think we extended Boyd too early WD. I can see the merit in having Fogs around the club but we're in trouble so long as he is our best 7.
    I am happy to accept that the club didn't want to sign Reynolds or Hynes and that they have a recruitment plan. As Bennett says ' listen to the fans too much and it will not be long before you are sitting with them".

However the recruitment staff and coach must take ownership of the plan as I am sure they do, and I am happy to back them as long as results are put on the board or their is obvious improvement. What is getting to me though, is that blind Freddy can see our halves and hooker are essentially hopeless and not at NRL level. And I know many on here accept that. I guess I would just love to know what the plan is because if we take the same guys (Sexton excluded) in to next year then it's season over already. I would just like to see any evidence that there is a plan.

My fear is that Sexton loses his spot to Fogarty next week or mid week or whenever we play next. That is more of a worry than missing on Reynolds or Hynes. We got Turner, we didn't sign Ash or MILF either. No dummy halfs so we are using Clark and probably will next year too. We don't get superstars covering every spot in the team. We had a huge signing year last year and can't do it every year. After Nov 1 we might see some moves for the following year when more cap opens up. Till then, we have what we have and if we get the correct combinations happening it should be good enough (maybe some outside backs).

I am happy to accept that the club didn't want to sign Reynolds or Hynes and that they have a recruitment plan. As Bennett says ' listen to the fans too much and it will not be long before you are sitting with them".

However the recruitment staff and coach must take ownership of the plan as I am sure they do, and I am happy to back them as long as results are put on the board or their is obvious improvement. What is getting to me though, is that blind Freddy can see our halves and hooker are essentially hopeless and not at NRL level. And I know many on here accept that. I guess I would just love to know what the plan is because if we take the same guys (Sexton excluded) in to next year then it's season over already. I would just like to see any evidence that there is a plan.
    100% with you MT and the clubs history gives little to no reason to have confidence in any plan, whether it be with junior development or recruiting to build a roster.

My confidence I guess comes mainly from seeing the quality of kids they’ve got in the system compared to previous years, and the resources around it. It’s incomparable and I’m looking forward to seeing them filter to top grade (if we can keep them).

Regarding the plan or strategy, I guess we’re never going to know much (outside of junior pathways) until we see the outcome. I’m willing to give that time to be observed and put the confidence in Holbrook, Ez & the rest. It’ll take a little while mate and I’m willing to be patient, but can understand why others aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Regarding the plan or strategy, I guess we’re never going to know much (outside of junior pathways) until we see the outcome. I’m willing to give that time to be observed and put the confidence in Holbrook, Ez & the rest. It’ll take a little while mate and I’m willing to be patient, but can understand why others aren’t.
    I don't doubt the people that have seen the junior talent coming through and have belief in them. My concern is that it seems that they are at least one or two seasons away, if they in fact make it, and by then we have lost disgruntled Tino and Fifita, and others. So then we have our halves sorted and people say "wait we have some great forwards coming through".

Inactive User

I didn’t have a wrap on Taylor or LG as juniors but I did have a huge wrap on AJ as a junior and I pleaded and Remained steadfast in my belief that he’s a FB.
    Sexton I’ve been lukewarm about but I do believe he is definitely a part of the 5 year plans fruition.

Weaver however is next level and I 100% back in my ability to identify talent at around the 17-18 year old range.

I don't doubt the people that have seen the junior talent coming through and have belief in them. My concern is that it seems that they are at least one or two seasons away, if they in fact make it, and by then we have lost disgruntled Tino and Fifita, and others. So then we have our halves sorted and people say "wait we have some great forwards coming through".
    Sucks when you need a team to win rather than one fullback

@MT some useless trivia from my time at Columbia … that Bennett quote was borrowed from Bill Belichick who in turn borrowed it from Buddy Ryan but no matter they were all correct.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Sucks when you need a team to win rather than one fullback
    Took me a while to work out what you meant there JB. Good work.

Casualty Ward: Staggs out for season

So glad we didn’t sign this joke

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    So glad we didn’t sign this joke
    Add Johnston to that I feel.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.