Page 163 of 176 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2626

Connor Watson has signed with the Roosters for two years.

- - - Updated - - -

NRL 2021: Melbourne Storm open contract negotiations with star hooker Brandon Smith
    Melbourne Storm have made moves to close the door on rivals like Brisbane and lock up one of the hottest talents in the NRL.

Peter Badel
    and
    Travis Meyn

Melbourne have tabled a long-term extension to Brandon Smith as the Storm look to close the door on a number of potential suitors, including the Broncos and this week’s rivals the Titans.

The NRL premiers have begun negotiations on a three-year upgrade to keep Smith in Melbourne until 2025 in the lead-up to Thursday night’s clash against the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium.

Speculation is rife Smith is poised to quit the Storm, with the Titans consistently linked with the Kiwi Test ace, while the Bulldogs are eyeing off the 25-year-old to spearhead their Belmore revolution.

The Broncos are also considering their hooking options and will have more cash to spend under the salary cap at the end of next year, when Smith‘s current Melbourne deal expires.

But the Storm insist the blockbusting ball-runner is going nowhere, tabling a new deal to ensure the utility forward dynamo stays loyal in the post-Cameron Smith era.

The Titans have braced for missing out on Smith by signing Melbourne’s third-string hooker Aaron Booth to boost their dummy-half stocks.

A product of Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast, Booth, 25, has played six NRL games and will join the Titans next year.

The Titans have a high opinion of hooker Erin Clark but are yet to offer off-contract veteran Mitch Rein a new deal.

Smith, 25, has been in sensational form this season, scoring 10 tries in 20 games for the Storm.

He will be rested for the Titans game as Storm coach Craig Bellamy looks to freshen up his team as they chase back-to-back premierships.

Storm football chief Frank Ponissi said the club was not concerned about speculation linking Smith to rival clubs.

“All that speculation comes from outside the club, we’re not worried about the external noise,” he said.

“Brandon will be off contract next year like any player, but he has indicated he wants to stay and we want to keep him so we said let‘s do a deal.

“We will work together with Brandon to make sure we keep him here beyond next year.

“Like any club, you try not to lose your best players and Brandon is in great form. He is really happy off the field here and that’s reflected in his form on the field.

“Brandon is very determined to have a big finals series and that’s his immediate focus, but we’re confident he will stay at the Storm.”

Smith was expected to seek an exit from the Storm due to the rise of Queensland Origin hooker Harry Grant following Cameron Smith’s retirement.

But the Smith-Grant alliance has proven to be a deadly combination for Melbourne, with Bellamy finding a way to make two of the NRL’s top hookers fire in the one team.

That could see Smith commit his future to the Storm, with Ponissi declaring the Kiwi dynamo was becoming a leader at Melbourne.

“Brandon is very happy here and he is the heart and soul of the joint,” he said.

“His leadership levels have gone to another level.

Brandon is the ultimate prankster, he plays up to a lot of the contract talk and thrives on it.

“When we finish the season, we will get serious about keeping Brandon at the club.”

Inactive User

Awesome…we got ourselves a Storm hooker.

“Braced for missing out on Smith by signing Aaron Booth”…yes Badel we have signed a minimum wage hooker for the 2022 season to make up for missing out on a 800-900k hooker for the 2023 season

Also James Maloney has announced his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Respect your opinion mate but Fogarty is not NRL standard and that is a case of re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. (sorry to use your name T).
    Just don't call me late for me breakfast.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I think we should be throwing everything at Reed Mahoney. Smart player, good service and a south east Qld kid

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by SCoast Titan View Post
    I think we should be throwing everything at Reed Mahoney. Smart player, good service and a south east Qld kid
    Yeah I agree mate. Smart kid and an excellent defender. Cam Smith actually said he should’ve been picked as the QLD hooker this year. Eels are apparently having some cap issues so might be a good opportunity rather than trying to prise Smith or Grant away from Bellamy.

He’s a great player and like Wilhelm said Cameron smith talked him up.
    Last edited by Titans83; 18-08-21 at 09:45 AM.

Who's the back up while he's out with major injuries twice a year?

Junior

Clarke or Turner

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Who's the back up while he's out with major injuries twice a year?
    You know we just signed Aaron Booth right?

First Grader

I'd be stoked if we got reed, he comes across as a really good guy
    Last edited by Upthetits; 18-08-21 at 11:40 AM.

So come end of 2022 we've got:

B Smith, H Grant (has mutual option with Storm yet to be taken up), Mahoney, Koroisau and then even the likes of B Brailey, J Brailey, Starling, Hodgson and Cotter

..all off contract?

Please god do not let the Titans screw this up.

Nov 1 2021 the frenzy begins
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 18-08-21 at 11:43 AM.

First Grader

1. B SMITH
    2. MAHONEY
    3. STARLING

Api would probably be tied with starling but that ******** stuff over origin has turned me off him. Plus starling would be cheapest

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    You know we just signed Aaron Booth right?
    Yep, I remember the party we threw at my house when it was announced. Point being Johnson was a big no due to injuries and now we are suggesting a guy who hasn't finished a season in the past two.

I'm happy with Plan A before we go off on another imaginary tangent.