Page 34 of 176 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Brisbane Broncos emerge as shock candidates to sign NRL legend Cameron Smith
    Gold Coast may have pulled out but another Queensland club wouldn’t turn down the chance of snapping up the services of Cameron Smith if the NRL legend decided to play on.

Peter Badel
    and
    Travis Meyn
    3 min read
    February 19, 2021 - 6:16AM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The Broncos have put out the welcome mat for Cameron Smith, with Brisbane emerging as the shock last resort for the Queensland legend.

News Corp can reveal the Broncos have not ruled out the prospect of signing Smith and have the salary cap space available to pull off a remarkable coup.

Nearly four months after Melbourne’s 2020 NRL premiership triumph, Smith is yet to announce his future plans, fuelling speculation he could extend his record-breaking 430-game career.

The Titans were heavily linked to Smith given his family has relocated to the Gold Coast. But they withdrew from the race on Thursday, with culture chief Mal Meninga admitting “he won’t be at the Titans”.

Smith, 37, will not be returning to Melbourne, leaving the Broncos as his only option if he decides to play on into a record 20th NRL season.

The Broncos have more than $500,000 available in their 2021 salary cap following the release of hooker Andrew McCullough to St George Illawarra.

That would be enough to sign Smith, a $1 million-a-season player, if he joins the club in March or April, given nearly half of the NRL’s contracting year will have elapsed.

Broncos chairman Karl Morris said he would send a limousine to the Gold Coast to pick up Smith if he wanted to play for Brisbane.

“Look, who wouldn’t want Cam Smith, he is a legend of the game,” he said.

“But I can honestly say I haven’t spoken to him and I don’t know anyone at the Broncos who has spoken to him.

“The ball is in his court. If Cam called any club tomorrow and said he wanted to play for them, including the Broncos, you would send a limousine to his house.

“Which of the 16 clubs would not want Cam on their books? But we haven’t had any talks so we haven’t had any plans to sign him.”

Smith famously chose Melbourne over the Broncos as a kid, rejecting Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett’s advances to forge the NRL’s greatest ever career at the Storm.

It would be a remarkable story if he pulled on a Broncos jersey, the club he grew up in Logan supporting, for a career swansong.

The Titans were believed to be leading the race for Smith, but Meninga admitted nothing had eventuated from the Gold Coast’s interest.

“We haven’t talked to Cam Smith, that is 100 per cent fact,” Meninga said.

“It really is that simple. There is all sorts of talk about him living on the Gold Coast and playing for us, but we haven’t spoken to him.

“I don’t have any idea what Cam is doing. I don’t know if he’s retiring. I’m in the dark like everyone else. But I know he won’t be at the Titans.

“Look, the reality is he is a Melbourne boy and the Storm have some very powerful businessmen.

“Because he was down at Mudgeeraba in a light blue shirt kicking a footy around in boots people want to think he’s going to sign with the Titans. I wasn’t behind the toilet shed trying to sign him I can tell you.

“He won’t be with us, simple as that.”

Smith’s future has become one of the most mysterious narratives in NRL history.

His Storm deal expired in November but he has yet to formally announce his retirement, despite being chaired off Suncorp Stadium by Melbourne teammates during last year’s finals series.

The Titans had the salary cap space to sign Smith, but he never responded to Meninga’s approach and will not be turning out for the Gold Coast.

“Does that mean people will finally stop asking me?” said Titans coach Justin Holbrook with a laugh.

“I was always happy with Mitch Rein, Erin Clark and Tanah Boyd (at hooker), that’s why I was never too worried about it all.

“It was good for the hype, but I said all along you need to ask him what he wants to do.

“I have never spoken to him. We will see what he ends up doing.”
    A lot of words that say nothing really. Have you watched the actual interview? There’s more to this than Mal is letting on..

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    A lot of words that say nothing really. Have you watched the actual interview? There’s more to this than Mal is letting on..
    Garantee we are playing cap buggers. For every week we aren’t official our 550k increases in value because it’s based on a season from November to November. So by waiting until March 1 we make 550k look like 700k in the salary cap auditors eyes.

I think it’s a 95% chance cam does a 1 year deal to drive us to the promised land

I agree HS Mal was very cagey in his responses

Inactive User

He’s in the crowd at the game

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    He’s in the crowd at the game
    Cole Geyer is playing for Burleigh to be fair

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Cole Geyer is playing for Burleigh to be fair
    Now that adds up HS.

'Big decision to make': Smith breaks silence as Titans leave cap open

Four months after leading Melbourne to a premiership, Cameron Smith says he is still weighing up whether to continue his incredible career in 2021.

Smith has spoken publicly for this first time on his future at leadership luncheon on Friday, insisting he is yet to speak to any prospective suitors.

But on the same day Gold Coast sources confirmed to NRL.com they have the best part of $600,000 of salary cap space free for 2021, Smith could not rule out pulling the boots on again for what be a remarkable 20th NRL season.

"I’ve got a big decision to make," Smith said when interviewed on stage by 7News at the Alexandra Headland Surf Lifesaving Club.

"It’s a strange one. I feel physically really good. I still enjoy footy.

"I enjoy training and enjoy being part of a team but I’ve got a big decision to make.

"I haven’t spoken to anyone at a club. The only person involved in footy I’ve spoken to is Craig Bellamy. I haven’t spoken to any organisation."

Adding to the intrigue, Smith attended the Titans' trial against Burleigh at Pizzey Park on Friday night as a spectator.

Smith's comments come a day after Mal Meninga's cryptic response to continued Titans links for the champion hooker, labelling it the "$550,250 question" at Thursday's Fox League launch.

NRL.com understands that figure is around what the Gold Coast still have free in their salary cap with one top 30 roster spot left as well.

Club sources have indicated interest in Smith if he does want to play on, with the prospect of a March or April signing possible on a pro-rata rate with their free cap space.

The Broncos freed up a similar amount by releasing Andrew McCullough to St George Illawarra this week, and have publicly rolled out a welcome mat for Smith to land at Red Hill.

Neither Brisbane or the Gold Coast have spoken to Smith, as Meninga said on Thursday.

Social media shots of the 37-year-old training on a Gold Coast oval on Tuesday fuelled suggestions Smith is eyeing another campaign.

"I can’t leave my house without someone wondering where I’m going," Smith said of the ongoing hype.

"I went to kick the footy down at the local club the other day and there was a front-page story the next day saying I had signed with the Titans."

Smith has moved his family to the Gold Coast after leading Melbourne to a stunning 2020 title despite being based out of the Sunshine Coast due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Victorian capital's latest lockdown meant Smith replaced Bellamy as guest speaker at the Alexandra Headland Surf Club on Friday, with his old coach instead in Melbourne announcing Jesse Bromwich and Dale Finucane as his captaincy replacements at the Storm.

Bellamy said he spoke with Smith on Friday morning "but did not even talk about" his future.

While Melbourne have long planned to be without the iconic No.9 in 2021, Bellamy did concede he would like to give Smith a proper farewell given his stunning contribution across a record 430 NRL games.

"We'd love to be able to do that without a doubt," Bellamy said of a Storm send-off.

"But until he makes that announcement ... he'll always be a very, very important part of this club.

"Cameron deserves as much time as he needs to make a decision and make an announcement and we will back him all the way.

"It's looking more and more unlikely that he's going to play but I don't know so we're just trying to prepare for this season with the players we've got."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/19/...eave-cap-open/

Cam may play some a grade before making a decision

I just don't care with cam smith anymore. He comes or he doesn't. Can't wait to see our boys run out tonight.

Sunday Mail says the Broncos have opened talks with Smith.
    At his age why would you come back and join the wooden spooners.

Good signs. It appears that Peachy has learnt how to tackle in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    Good signs. It appears that Peachy has learnt how to tackle in the off season.
    But hasn't learnt that when he's tired don't give away penalties or get 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Sunday Mail says the Broncos have opened talks with Smith.
    At his age why would you come back and join the wooden spooners.
    he won't

spoke to friends of friends and apparently the story is cams body wants to play but his mind and family are wary of another campaign. he's made it this far without debilitating injuries and was very busy for a long period with Melbourne / origin / aus.

likely to play some a grade on the gc to see how he wants and suss the titans out, if both are trending well he will join the team and push for a brady storyline

cynic in me says broncos are saying this so they can complain if we sign him. they have 50k more in the cap

Fogs and Peach both had fairly average games tonight. Herbert was good apart from a late error. Kelly was good for the time he was on. Fifita was OK but nothing special. TBH I still kinda worry that we paid too much for him....but we'll see.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 20-02-21 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Fogs and Peach both had fairly average games tonight. Herbert was good apart from a late error. Kelly was good for the time he was on. Fifita was OK but nothing special. TBH I still kinda worry that we paid too much for him....but we'll see.
    Completely agree mate, I expected Fifita to come straight on the field and run for no less than 300 metres and score 3 tries in this very important fixture, im writing a very angry worded letter to the Titans and firing it off ASAP pleading them to waive David Fifita's contract completely.