Page 117 of 176 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 127 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2626

Titans star Ash left in contract limbo
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

TITANS five-eighth Ash Taylor is stuck in contract limbo, with the Gold Coast club yet to inform him if he will be offered a new deal.

Taylor has eight games to go on the infamous $3 million contract which made him one of the highest-paid players in the NRL over the past three years.

Taylor, 26, is keen to remain at the Titans and understands he will not be worth anywhere near the $1 million-a-season he has been pocketing.

But the 109-game playmaker is yet to receive any clarity from the Titans about what his future holds.

“Nope,” Taylor said bluntly when asked if he had been given an indication by the Titans.

While the Titans are yet to inform Taylor of their plans, the club has been locking up its other playmaking talent.

Co-captain Jamal Fogarty (2023) and rising halfback Toby Sexton (2024) last week secured upgraded extended contracts.

Taylor said he was hoping to receive some clarity in the coming weeks.

“The faster I find out, the faster my future is settled. It’s not really up to me,” he said.

“I don’t want to let it get to me. I’m enjoying myself and my life now. “I live in the moment. “As a club we are building. Hopefully I can stick around here and steer the club into the future.

“It’s not in my court at the moment. I’ve got to keep playing footy and let the manager sort that out.

“I hope to get a clear indication in the next few weeks.”

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has previously said he was still assessing Taylor’s future and it was up to the No. 6 to play well enough to demand a new offer.

After missing six games through hand and hip injuries, Taylor admitted his form hadn’t been up to scratch in 2021 but he was hoping to end the season on a high.

“It was pretty frustrating to be told I’d be right for the start of the season and not be right,” he said of his hip struggles. “It took a toll on myself. Now I’m feeling a lot better and have just got to keep working hard. I haven’t really put the line out there (to other clubs). I’m happy where I am.

“I haven’t played too many great games of footy this year so I’m really focused on putting effort areas back into my game and really working hard here.”

The Titans have a bye this weekend. They will return to the field on Friday week at Cbus Super Stadium against a Parramatta side that could be missing Origin players Mitchell Moses and Junior Paulo.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I hope he is re-signed personally. Gets critiqued a lot harsher due to his pay packet. At 500k or less he'd be perfect imo.

From what I hear Sexton is doing well in QCUP but Boyd hasn't really impressed me at all. Fogarty gets injured and it just looks ugly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...nKsax2fc5R4TW4

Throw away article with no real meaning but FYI.

So at $250-300k would we keep him?

TITAN’S HUGE PAYCUT

Ash Taylor is facing a huge haircut as the playmaker comes off contract at the Titans.

The Gold Coast No. 6 famously signed a $1 million deal which expires at the end of the year.

The 26-year-old has yet to receive an offer from the club beyond this year but is staring at a huge pay cut.

“He keeps asking questions about what they're doing and at this point the Gold Coast won’t give him an answer,” The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie told the Big Sports Breakfast.

“The Titans are entitled to keep things close to their chest, but I think it’s at that point of the year when he’s entitled to know whether he’s needed or not.

“He signed that massive contract up there and he hasn’t delivered in terms of value for money.

“There’s eight games to go, the overall deal was about $3 million but there’s no way he’ll get that kind of money at a new club.

“You could probably cut that by two thirds, maybe (he’ll get) $250,000 to $300,000. He’s still young, but he’s got nowhere to go for next year.”

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by TitanPremiership View Post
    I hope he is re-signed personally. Gets critiqued a lot harsher due to his pay packet. At 500k or less he'd be perfect imo.

From what I hear Sexton is doing well in QCUP but Boyd hasn't really impressed me at all. Fogarty gets injured and it just looks ugly.
    I’m in the same boat. Maybe not at 500k but he is easily our best half on the books and better than anyone else on the market. I believe that he has turned a corner and is going to continue to get better each week. All we need is a hooker that can provide quality ball so we can get the best out of his attacking capability.

Me too with Taylor … we’ve invested a lot and both sides deserve some return.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

We had the opportunity to get Hynes at a bargain of $600k which would have given us 1 decent half. No to Taylor who has delivered very little in his time at the Titans. Best for both parties to part ways

It's a pity about Taylor because the guy is a super talent. Problem is his head isn't in the right place. Even in the above article he says "It's not up to me". Yes it is kid! Perform up to your ability on the field and your troubles are over.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I’m in the same boat. Maybe not at 500k but he is easily our best half on the books and better than anyone else on the market. I believe that he has turned a corner and is going to continue to get better each week. All we need is a hooker that can provide quality ball so we can get the best out of his attacking capability.
    I'm on the fence. I agree with you that he is easily our best half and I think with a decent halves partner he would be better. Fogarty is hopeless in my book and the pair of them together just can't do the job. In the past I have said I wouldn't sign Taylor at any price as he cannot do the job - so why pay to keep him. However I think with another decent half plus a quality hooker he might get it done. I would pay no more than $400k though. He has been on the market since November last year so there is obviously no interest in him from other clubs.

I'm a no for Taylor even at a cut price, he has had his chance to deliver and hasn't grabbed it. I don't want to see the dropping of the bottom lip to become contagious too our other junior players. On top of that he also blocks Weaver, Sexton, Turner, Tanah, I'll even say Jayden into getting their opportunity.

Our absolute top priority should be to get a gun hooker, next priority would be a 5/8 if they are well above the juniors we have. It's basically a cost to benefit analysis.

Tyrone Peachey is being considered as a potential five-eighth option at the Titans next season in another blow to Ash Taylor's retention chances in the Gold Coast's roster re-shaping.

NRL.com understands that Peachey's recent form has swayed the club to broach re-signing talks with the former NSW Origin utility, having held fire for much of 2021 on the futures of both he and Taylor.

A significantly reduced deal from Peachey's current $500,000-plus salary has been floated, with both he and Taylor well aware they won't be attracting the marquee money of their previous contracts.

Taylor however indicated this week that he is still yet to hear from the Titans if he will be offered an extension beyond this year.

Justin Holbrook's signing of two-time Roosters premiership-winner Isaac Liu on Wednesday continues a busy period for the Titans chequebook, following on from the recent extensions of halfback Toby Sexton, Beau Fermor and Jaimin Jolliffe (2024) and Corey Thompson (2023).

The playmakers set to take charge in State of Origin IIIThe playmakers set to take charge in State of Origin III
    The playmakers set to take charge in State of Origin III
    Liu's arrival next season raises questions about Peachey's future at lock, where he has played the majority of this season, and prompted the suggestion of a five-eighth switch.

It's understood the prospect of partnering co-captain Jamal Fogarty in the halves appeals to Peachey, who has played every position bar wing, halfback and prop in his 171-game NRL career.

However the 29-year-old has also landed on the radar of NRL rivals after biding his time on entering negotiations for much of the season.

The Gold Coast's inconsistent showings have undermined an impressive summer recruitment run that had them tipped as top-eight contenders this year.

Match Highlights: Raiders v TitansMatch Highlights: Raiders v Titans
    Match Highlights: Raiders v Titans
    As it stands the Titans sit 11th after last week's thrashing of Canberra with a bye this weekend. They are one of six clubs separated by two points between eighth and 13th on the ladder.

For Peachey, Taylor and several other off-contract Titans, their form over the final eight games of the season will have significant impact on their next career moves.

Liu's return to his old Gold Coast stomping ground as a Keebra Park graduate points to the ongoing renovations to Holbrook's roster.

Now a veteran and mainstay of a vaunted Roosters pack, Liu's signing on a three-year deal adds further clout and an experienced leader to the Titans pack of budding representative forwards.

"His experience and the fact that he is a big game player that has won competitions makes him a player that is very valuable for us," Holbrook said.

"He is such a professional guy, he’s capable at playing at both prop or lock and he brings so much off the field as well.

Heal Country: The long link of Indigenous stars and State of OriginHeal Country: The long link of Indigenous stars and State of Origin
    Heal Country: The long link of Indigenous stars and State of Origin
    "We’ve got some of the most exciting young forwards in the game in Moeaki Fotuaika, David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui but they are all still 21-years old.

"To have someone like Isaac be able to mentor our young forwards and also drive the culture we are building at the Titans makes him a really important signing."

I'd keep him for 300k or less given there's not much else out there. I'd say he's easily been the better half in recent times and that Fogarty has really gone downhill since last year.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 08-07-21 at 12:52 AM.

No to Peachey at 5/8 for me. He has been given the chance there before and was a disaster.
    Ash on $300k would be my preferred option to Peachey.

Peachey on $300k vs Ash on $300k

Neither has lived up to their contract deals. Will Ash' bottom lip drop as low as his wage? Will we be able to sign Peachey for as low as $300k? Honestly, I'd cut bait and throw a young enthusiastic quick player in their whose initials are the same as the greatest american that ever lived, JC.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

Neither has lived up to their contract deals. Will Ash' bottom lip drop as low as his wage? Will we be able to sign Peachey for as low as $300k? Honestly, I'd cut bait and throw a young enthusiastic quick player in their whose initials are the same as the greatest american that ever lived, JC.
    Yes JB make this happen!! Priority extension! Give him a shot at 5/8 when he's puts on some size (should safely be able to put 5kg muscle from now to next season, still a little light on but don't want to ruin his speed either)

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

John Cena?