Page 160 of 176 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 170 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2626
    Rep Player

Isaac Liu has been a monster tonight

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Isaac Liu has been a monster tonight
    Yes he is looking like fantastic value

Lui sure did look good. I read on the roosters forum that they thought he went a whole season without making one handling error! Recruitment should be praised for our middle forwards.

First Grader

I think our best option is to throw the bank at Bennett as Coaching Director seeing he is coming back to Qld next year.

He knows how to put defensive structures in place and can attract players to the club.

It would help Holbrook immensely as he seems to lack the ability to go to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    I think our best option is to throw the bank at Bennett as Coaching Director seeing he is coming back to Qld next year.

He knows how to put defensive structures in place and can attract players to the club.

It would help Holbrook immensely as he seems to lack the ability to go to the next level
    Nah, he wrecked the saints and Broncos rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Nah, he wrecked the saints and Broncos rosters.
    Yep … Cook/Reynolds/Walker/Mitchell v Rein/Sexton/Taylor/Brimson tells it all not the coaching.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yep … Cook/Reynolds/Walker/Mitchell v Rein/Sexton/Taylor/Brimson tells it all not the coaching.
    Titanic that is so spot on mate and especially with the speed of the game these days the spine is more influential than ever before

First Grader

Of course it helps having good players but there is a reason why Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson have good teams is because they are all great coaches, they know how to win premierships, they improve players, they implement great systems in their clubs, and they can attract players to the club at lower values because players want to be coached by great coaches.

One common denominator is that they are great defensive coaches with great defensive systems, something our coaching staff are clueless at
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 14-08-21 at 07:05 PM.

Of course it helps having good players but there is a reason why Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson have good teams is because they are all great coaches, they know how to win premierships, they improve players, they implement great systems in their clubs, and they can attract players to the club at lower values because players want to be coached by great coaches.
    Actually add Newcastle to the list of teams he wrecked before walking into someone elses roster.

First Grader

Newcastle is the only team that he did not exceed with in over 30 years of coaching.
    At Saints, the year before he took over they came 7 th and the following 2 years they were minor premiers winning one premiership and coming 5th on his final year. All improvements.

So with 7 premierships, a winning record of 62% over 30 years, remind me how successful the Titans have been since 2007

Newcastle is the only team that he did not exceed with in over 30 years of coaching.
    At Saints, the year before he took over they came 7 th and the following 2 years they were minor premiers winning one premiership and coming 5th on his final year. All improvements.

So with 7 premierships, a winning record of 62% over 30 years, remind me how successful the Titans have been since 2007
    How about them Broncos?

Of course Bennett will be remembered based on his longevity but there are still many who judge him on the roster he had at the ‘Ponies for all those years where it was hardly an even playing field. Cyril Connell went and then later Paul Bunn who are both examples of what makes clubs great and the ‘Ponies roster management went to crap. Has he built a dynasty like Bellamy, resurrected a broken roster like Hasler or even changed the style of the game like Cleary? Not in my opinion, manages personalities well but a great coach? Not so much.

First Grader

There is no doubt that 6 premierships is a dynasty in anyone’s language. I cannot see how you could say that Bennett had not built a dynasty when he started the Broncos from scratch( same as Bellamy) and won 6 premierships.
    Even Bellamy had the big 3 to steer the team around for many years and has had the best recruitment officer in the NRL in Ponisi for the past 10 years. The Storm are stacked with superstars even today such as Grant, Munster, Olam, ADC, B. Smith but Bellamy is still regarded as a genius coach.

Bennett changed the style of the Bronco called Bennett ball which suited his dominant forward pack in 1990’s and has adapted to the strengths of South’s by still having strong defence but is utilising the skill set of Walker, Mitchell and the left adge so effectively they will be highest scoring South’s team in history.

Cleary and Hasler are good coaches ( both were sacked from their clubs) but are not great coaches. Bennett’s record shows he is a great coach ( although Bellamy in my view is the best)

With a win record of only 44 %, Holbrook would benefit in having the experience, knowledge and the ability to attract players of Bennett as a coaching director
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 14-08-21 at 08:29 PM.

Happy to agree to disagree … the resources that he had in those “dynasty” years, the damage his ego did to the game with SL, his self-indulgent treatment to anything he deems not Bennett worthy and his underwhelming performances with the Knights and Broncos organizations as I mentioned will all be lost in history. Just my opinion. I’m sure he could teach Holbrook a lot but I would not want him at our club.

First Grader

All good Titanic.
    Just on Bennett at the knights, the major problem at the club at the time was Tinkler who promised a lot and failed to deliver (players were not being paid on time, Tinkler did not have the money, was financially insolvent and did not fully pay Bennett), got himself involved and was obnoxious at training and game days. It was a very toxic environment at the time by the megalomaniac Tinkler.

There was a lot going on at the time and knowing what was going on, it was a wonder they didn’t get the wooden spoon such was toxic Tinkler effect
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 14-08-21 at 09:05 PM.