Page 68 of 176 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 118 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2626

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Five year plan. No more superannuation early retirement players, bring through Sexton, Boyd and Weaver.
    I agree with Bodsie. I am astounded at the reports we are talking to Milford’s management. We have suffered almost intolerable pain and frustration waiting for “ the next big thing,” Ash Taylor to deliver on his promise...no such luck. Not everyone develops from potential to reality. Now, it seems, we are chasing another one who has been in the same position ( fail to deliver on potential) as AT.
    I believe the dilemma we have is that the a lub is fully aware that, in terms of half backs, Tom Weaver is our future. I actually go out of my way to watch him. He has got all the elements we want. Again, only potential but I believe he has more football mouse and skills in his little finger than AT and AM. However, TW needs to be blooded against men and I assume that won’t happen until next year so that makes him 2 years away. Question for me is..what do we do in the interim that serves our halfback needs but doesn’t piss off the likes of Weaver?
    I’m hopeful Turner will live up to his promise and be our No. 6 but we need a game manager for at least a year.

Ok, if we are waiting for our juniors to develop. Who should be get as a stop gap for a couple of years?
    Sounds like we are chasing the young warriors kid.
    I think we should look at SJ as he seems the best half available. He would be good for team culture and would be marketable off the field. Only problem is he is injury prone and not sure about his asking price.

How on earth does signing Anthony Milford to a likely 1 year prove-it deal affect the likes of Tom Weaver again?

I am fine with the idea of chasing Milford, we've had success with buy-low guys recently , and unfortunately Luke Keary or Cody Walker aren't just going to fall into our laps anytime soon.

Let's not act as if current Milf or Fogarty are long-term solutions at 6 or 7. The pathway is still very clear here for Weaver types.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 13-05-21 at 01:31 PM.

The Milford signing would feel a lot like back when Johnson was leaving the warriors and everyone on here was saying how he would be a horrible idea, and fast forward to now there's a chorus of those who want Johnson here. To me there's a lot of parallel's, an instinctive half incorrectly used as an organising half, coming off contract and up for grabs on a gamble which could come off. That's my thoughts anyway, and if you could get Milford even close to where he was in their premiership run a few years back it would be massive for us.
    Bring back Kevin Gordon

This club is NOT known for making players great again.

SJ I'd take and have Boyd as the back up till whoever we are hoping on comes through the ranks.

Have we burnt our spare cash already? Who really knows. But we have a lot of players off contract this year (Tanah Boyd, Anthony Don, Darius Farmer, Patrick Herbert, Sam McIntyre, Tyrone Peachey, Jonus Pearson, Mitch Rein, Sam Stone, Ashley Taylor, Jai Whitbread) so I guess at some stage we'd better start working out who we want to keep, how much that'll cost and what we have left over. You'd hope this was happening last year but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    How on earth does signing Anthony Milford to a likely 1 year prove-it deal affect the likes of Tom Weaver again?

I am fine with the idea of chasing Milford, we've had success with buy-low guys recently , and unfortunately Luke Keary or Cody Walker aren't just going to fall into our laps anytime soon.

Let's not act as if current Milf or Fogarty are long-term solutions at 6 or 7. The pathway is still very clear here for Weaver types.
    THIS. There's no doubting Weaver is an exceptional kid with potential that is extremely high but in all likelihood the kid is 2-3 years away from being a first grader. Unfortunately Bods it's not as easy as throwing a young kid into the fire before he is ready (that will absolutely crush his confidence). So we will have to fill the gap for at least a couple of years with the options being:

1. Persevere with Tanah Boyd next year especially if he keeps impressing like he did v Wests - I don't mind Tanah but I feel he is a better backup half/utility instead

2. Sign a top flight half such as Keary, Walker, Cleary etc - not a chance on any of those coming here as you said NZTitan, and besides we would not even have the cash for any of them

3. Take a punt and sign a guy with potential who has been hot and cold on a massive pay cut until Weaver/Sexton/etc are ready to go - I feel this is our best option

Peachey keen on new Titans deal but Milford talk a real worry
    Author
    Todd Balym
    Timestamp
    Thu 13 May 2021, 01:21 PM
    Share on social media
    Share via Facebook
    Share via Twitter
    Share via Reddit
    Share via Email
    Tyrone Peachey fears being squeezed out of the Gold Coast with the utility yet to hear from the club as the Titans prepare to make a play for Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford.

Peachey is one of several high-profile Titans yet to be told if they’re wanted by the club, with playmaker Ash Taylor, co-captain Kevin Proctor and hooker Mitch Rein also sweating on new deals or contract activations that would secure their futures.

The Titans had interest in Broncos duo Kotoni Staggs and Xavier Coates before they signed new contracts, but it is their latest enquiries about Milford on a cut-price deal that will have ramifications on the Gold Coast.

At just 29 Peachey feels he has many more years left in the game and despite a rocky start to his Titans career - he tried to get a release on his three-year deal before moving from Penrith - he has finally settled on the Coast and become one of their better performers in 2021.

He wants to stay but the silence from head office is concerning and Peachey accepts he could be on the move by the end of the year.

“I haven’t heard nothing from the Gold Coast,” Peachey told NRL.com

“It’s something that is obviously in the back of my mind, I’ve never been in this position before.

“I obviously do want to play on, I love my footy at the moment and feel like I’ve still got plenty of footy left in me.

“I’ve kind of found my position for the first time since I think I’ve been in the NRL and I’m really enjoying myself at lock. I feel like I am only growing and getting better.

“Jimmy Dymock (assistant coach) has helped me out a lot with my defence and yeah I obviously do want to play on but the club hasn’t said anything to me yet and I don’t know what’s going to happen there.

“I would love to stay and the club is in such a good position but I understand if they want to look elsewhere and they have other priorities. Hopefully I get it sorted sooner rather than later.

“If they can’t fit me in (under the salary cap) I would love to go to another competitive team and try to win a premiership.”

Broncos coach Kevin Walters has baulked at offering Milford a new deal all season with his primary focus finding a halfback which he secured on Thursday when South Sydney skipper Adam Reynolds agreed to a three-year deal.

While Staggs and Reynolds are expected to fill the halves next season, Walters initially bristled at questions over Milford’s future on Thursday before finally conceding his form had improved and a deal could still be done to keep him in Brisbane.

“I’m not going to talk about Milford anymore,” said Walters.

“That’s something we will look at down the track.

“We want Milf to be Milf. I say it every week. If he can be the player that he wants to be, there will be a position at the club for him.”

The Titans have an option in their favour to activate another year on Proctor’s contract, but the co-captain has yet to be informed if that deal will be taken up and it’s more likely he will need to renegotiate a contract on lesser terms.

Proctor, 32, has barely missed a game through injury in recent seasons and is confident his body can sustain more seasons in the NRL, ideally with the Gold Coast.

“I love this group, the body is feeling good and it’s good to be around everyone as well,” Proctor said.

“We’ve got a good bunch of guys and I’m really enjoying myself. I’m hoping to stay on board but we will see what happens.

“I’m not really fussed on it to be honest, I’m just trying to get my footy right and then hopefully that will do the talking for me.”

- - - Updated - - -

NZTitan and BundyTitan, why would you believe that Milf would sign a one year deal? I don't think this is realistic given his age.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    THIS. There's no doubting Weaver is an exceptional kid with potential that is extremely high but in all likelihood the kid is 2-3 years away from being a first grader. Unfortunately Bods it's not as easy as throwing a young kid into the fire before he is ready (that will absolutely crush his confidence). So we will have to fill the gap for at least a couple of years with the options being:

1. Persevere with Tanah Boyd next year especially if he keeps impressing like he did v Wests - I don't mind Tanah but I feel he is a better backup half/utility instead

2. Sign a top flight half such as Keary, Walker, Cleary etc - not a chance on any of those coming here as you said NZTitan, and besides we would not even have the cash for any of them

3. Take a punt and sign a guy with potential who has been hot and cold on a massive pay cut until Weaver/Sexton/etc are ready to go - I feel this is our best option
    This 100%. Talk of 5 year plans sh1t me to tears. Weaver could be anything or he could be like Ash and not live up to it. You have only got to read MDrews posts about juniors to see about 99% dont kick on.

Junction even a 2 year deal would be okay with me. 800k over 2 years if he would take it could be a steal if he gets back to his best running game. To me it's that or we stick with Tanah Boyd/Toby Sexton.

110% MT, a lot of juniors show promise in the lower grades but can fall apart when going to the next level and playing against men. I hope with all my heart Weaver or Sexton kick on and turn into brilliant first graders but it's very risky to be trusting the future of your club on two 16-19 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Agree with most of your post - but bearing in mind the players you list above have all been signed up, what are the better options you mention?
    My main point being is why haven't we been in discussions with players when our "marquee" $1m half is off contract. We could have been a genuine shot at any of this signings.

- - - Updated - - -

At the moment I believe the only genuine option is Shaun Johnson, however had we acted earlier we would be far more spoilt for choice.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Randomologist View Post
    The Milford signing would feel a lot like back when Johnson was leaving the warriors and everyone on here was saying how he would be a horrible idea, and fast forward to now there's a chorus of those who want Johnson here. To me there's a lot of parallel's, an instinctive half incorrectly used as an organising half, coming off contract and up for grabs on a gamble which could come off. That's my thoughts anyway, and if you could get Milford even close to where he was in their premiership run a few years back it would be massive for us.
    Johnson was asking for $1 m back then

Heck, nothing like a Broncos reject to fire up the forum!

The club does use a 5 year rolling recruitment and retention strategy. I.e. they've planned what they want the roster to look like in 5 years and make decisions now based on that. This doesn't mean they bank on juniors making the big time, it just means there is some element of foresight and "best case" scenario that they work towards. If they didn't do this, we would be losing juniors all over the place and then we'd be like Brisbane. Surely we can all see this? Buying expensive players every time we need to fill a position is negligent spending and exactly how you sink a club. Managing a roster year to year without forsight is a one way ticket to constant rebuilds.

The last club that got roasted for their 5 year strategy based around developing and nurturing the best talent was Penrith. They seem to be ok..

I think a 5/8 is a priority too but simply it needs to be the right style of player to complement what we already have, improve the roster, and needs to be at the right price. Anthony Milford for <400k? What is the opportunity cost? I think this is the key question.

I also do not envy Ezra Howe after reading this thread. Recruitment is all fun and games until its May and you're considering signing Anthony Milford after he can't get a gig for the Broncos (joking guys he might go ok...right...right?)
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 13-05-21 at 03:21 PM.

**** me, have you guys actually seen Milford play in the past 4 years? He has been absolutely diabolical, and MT says even at he's worst he's better than Taylor, well I have to completely disagree with that statement. He looks like he has absolutely no clue what he's doing, he can't tackle and is a MASSIVE liability in the defensive line, about the only thing he's good for these days is the odd linebreak. The Donkeys and their supporters must be laughing their asses off knowing we're about to make a play at him - they've wanted him gone for years and for good reason.

Literally, the only world in which I'd take him is if he came dirt cheap (and I mean DIRT cheap). Otherwise NO.

And Mr Injury aka Johnson can stay away as well since we all know he'll be asking for a high price to come here despite spending most of his days off the field. I mean he's just come back from a long stint on the sidelines with an archilles and now he's already strained his hamstring? Come on.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 13-05-21 at 03:34 PM.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post

This is spot on.

Broncs apparently just signed Brenko Lee, what's with those guys up the highway taking our rejects?