Page 58 of 176 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 158 ... LastLast

I've chatted a bunch of sh*t to my Warriors mates about Paul Turner just because i'll never forget the absolute clinic that Tanah Boyd and David Fifita ran on he and Darius Farmer's edge in the schoolboys game in 2018. But yeah ego hit aside he kind of fits the archetype of what kind of guy we should look for in a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Hmmm
    I gather he is the bloke who played three games for the Warriors last year. I have to confess that I hadn't heard of him. I trust he isn't the replacement for Ash as I was hoping for someone a little higher profile.
    That’ll be him

If we sign him, will be a minimum wage, youth + potential type. Warriors fans were touting him as their next big thing but they also exaggerate to the hills.

NZ Warriors have received more bad news on the injury front, with utility back Paul Turner ruled out for the rest of the NRL season.
    The 20-year-old injured his shoulder after coming off the bench against St George Illawarra Dragons last weekend, but battled through the pain to grab his first try for the club and help the team to their third win of the season.
    He now requires "extensive surgery" to repair his shoulder, which will sideline him for the rest of the year."I don't think we will see him again this year, which is really disappointing," Warriors assistant coach Craig Hodges says.

"Even though he had only had two games, I thought he did a really good job in that utility role off the bench.

"[Turner] requires pretty extensive surgery, so it was pretty courageous for him to carry on the other day to show what the team and the club mean to him.
    "It shows the sort of character he has to continue to play on because it was pretty obvious to all our medical staff straight after the game that he wasn't in a good way."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...or-season.html
    Last edited by Titanic; 29-04-21 at 07:06 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

If we are chasing a young half like that, then I guess they don’t think that much of sexton and boyd.. even weaver coming through.. be good to be linked to a good half and 9.. apart from Clarke..

I think what we’re missing is variety in our halves. Boyd, Sexton & Fogarty all play the same role and have similar strengths.

Weaver is exceptional but he’s still at high school. Nothing that happens now will have too much bearing by the time he’s grade ready.

Speaking of Tom Weaver....(yes i'm clutching at straws to post this in here so it gets attention)...

The Tweed MM Cup (U18) side play in the QLD state final tomorrow and it's being live streamed. Features a bunch of our young contracted players including: Tom Weaver, Jaylan De Groot, Kaleb Ngamanu, Oskar Bryant, Ryan Foran, Brock Priestley, Bailey Martin and Nick Hilton.

Weaver is going full-time with NRL from next year, and Jaylan will be doing pre-season with the NRL squad. I expect a few more from there to be added to that pre-season squad too.

All the best to those boys in what will be a tough match against a very good Townsville side.

You can watch the live stream match at 12:45pm tomorrow: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/04/...weed-seagulls/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsKf3adIMA

Only a short few clips but gives us some idea who Paul Turner is.
    Psmitty

First Grader

Did anyone see the Gold Coast News last night and the interview with Holbrook and the question asked of him regarding Staggs. Rather interesting response and seemed very cagey and not a response I would have thought if we had supposedly withdrawn our offer

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Did anyone see the Gold Coast News last night and the interview with Holbrook and the question asked of him regarding Staggs. Rather interesting response and seemed very cagey and not a response I would have thought if we had supposedly withdrawn our offer
    No what did he say?

Taylor in box seat at Titans but new deal is no certainty

Todd Balym
    Thu 29 Apr 2021, 06:01 PM

Titans playmaker Ash Taylor is fighting for his future with coach Justin Holbrook wanting to see more from the club’s highly-paid star before offering him a new deal for 2022.

Taylor is coming to the end of his lucrative Titans deal and while he is expected to take an enormous cut to his seven-figure salary, Holbrook has yet to issue a new deal to the 26-year-old.

The Titans remain interested but doubt they’ll land Brisbane’s Kotoni Staggs with Holbrook adamant there was “no announcement for anyone coming in or going out” in their roster build for 2022.

Holbrook, however, refused to be drawn on whether Taylor had done enough to warrant a new deal just yet.

“I don’t know, that’s a tough one,” he said.

“We just have to see how it pans out over the next few weeks.

“He just needs to play well. It’s an obvious answer but it’s true. He is getting better every week and we just need him to keep improving and keep working hard.

“We haven’t got anything locked in (recruitment-wise in the halves) for next year and he is currently there so he is in the best position so he just has to keep improving.

“He is getting there and he has a bit of a way to go but he is improving every week.”

Jamal Fogarty and Taylor have just two try assists between them this year but Holbrook insisted the duo were doing enough in attack as their game style isn't reliant upon the halves but rather bodies in motion creating opportunities across the field.

“I think we’re scoring enough points, it’s only one game we didn’t go well there so I think we’re going OK,” Holbrook said.

Holbrook has yet to taste defeat against “big brother” Brisbane and it's a record he’d like to keep going at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Former Bronco David Fifita starred in the Titans’ 28-16 win over Brisbane six weeks ago but Holbrook expects more resistance for his star forward this time around as he enters a stadium filled with Broncos fans.

“The crowd won’t bother him because he is such a good player but obviously the Broncos will be doing their best to stop him and we’re aware of that but we just need to keep the focus on ourselves,” he said.

Titans co-captain Kevin Proctor completed the full session on Thursday but remains in doubt with a knee injury, with Beau Fermor a strong chance to play after starring for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup last week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/29/...-no-certainty/

Nice way of saying we don't want him
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsKf3adIMA

Only a short few clips but gives us some idea who Paul Turner is.
    Thanks mate, looks to be light on his feet which is always good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Taylor in box seat at Titans but new deal is no certainty

Todd Balym
    Thu 29 Apr 2021, 06:01 PM

Titans playmaker Ash Taylor is fighting for his future with coach Justin Holbrook wanting to see more from the club’s highly-paid star before offering him a new deal for 2022.

Taylor is coming to the end of his lucrative Titans deal and while he is expected to take an enormous cut to his seven-figure salary, Holbrook has yet to issue a new deal to the 26-year-old.

The Titans remain interested but doubt they’ll land Brisbane’s Kotoni Staggs with Holbrook adamant there was “no announcement for anyone coming in or going out” in their roster build for 2022.

Holbrook, however, refused to be drawn on whether Taylor had done enough to warrant a new deal just yet.

“I don’t know, that’s a tough one,” he said.

“We just have to see how it pans out over the next few weeks.

“He just needs to play well. It’s an obvious answer but it’s true. He is getting better every week and we just need him to keep improving and keep working hard.

“We haven’t got anything locked in (recruitment-wise in the halves) for next year and he is currently there so he is in the best position so he just has to keep improving.

“He is getting there and he has a bit of a way to go but he is improving every week.”

Jamal Fogarty and Taylor have just two try assists between them this year but Holbrook insisted the duo were doing enough in attack as their game style isn't reliant upon the halves but rather bodies in motion creating opportunities across the field.

“I think we’re scoring enough points, it’s only one game we didn’t go well there so I think we’re going OK,” Holbrook said.

Holbrook has yet to taste defeat against “big brother” Brisbane and it's a record he’d like to keep going at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Former Bronco David Fifita starred in the Titans’ 28-16 win over Brisbane six weeks ago but Holbrook expects more resistance for his star forward this time around as he enters a stadium filled with Broncos fans.

“The crowd won’t bother him because he is such a good player but obviously the Broncos will be doing their best to stop him and we’re aware of that but we just need to keep the focus on ourselves,” he said.

Titans co-captain Kevin Proctor completed the full session on Thursday but remains in doubt with a knee injury, with Beau Fermor a strong chance to play after starring for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup last week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/29/...-no-certainty/

Nice way of saying we don't want him
    We have the luxury of waiting as not a single club anywhere in the world is looking at him it appears. Amazing how far he has fallen, same trajectory as Milford.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Thanks mate, looks to be light on his feet which is always good.

- - - Updated - - -

We have the luxury of waiting as not a single club anywhere in the world is looking at him it appears. Amazing how far he has fallen, same trajectory as Milford.
    Anything over 400k for ash is overs imo

Josh hodgeson might be on the outer at Canberra if they continue to struggle he'd be the perfect 9 for us give us some leadership

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Josh hodgeson might be on the outer at Canberra if they continue to struggle he'd be the perfect 9 for us give us some leadership
    Old, slow and broken. Hasn't adapted to the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Old, slow and broken. Hasn't adapted to the modern game.
    Agreed

Consistently runs them out of shape and kills momentum. Halves nightmare.