Page 57 of 176 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 157 ... LastLast

I don't want SJ personally, too pricey for someone who always seems to be injured.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    I don't want SJ personally, too pricey for someone who always seems to be injured.
    Apparently he asked Sharks for 800k/year over 2 years and they countered with 400k/year and 1. Reckon we could possibly get him for 600-700k/year over 2. I think that’s good value. Only problem is we don’t yet know how he has recovered from the Achilles injury.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Seems like every other club has signing rumours at the moment and we are not linked too anyone. Has anyone heard who we are going after for next year??
    Agreed mate I am getting a bit nervous that we aren't being linked to any of these top tier halfbacks on the market. My only thoughts on why is that we are going to be re-signing Ash because I can't see why else the club would be happy to see them all pass by without even an offer being made

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    I tend to agree really. I love SJ as a player and how he conducts himself off the field but his injury history is concerning.

I think I'd be open to it with it if we weren't paying 700+. There isn't really many alternatives around that 400-500k level for the immediate future, unless the club decides to extend Ash on a reduced deal.

IMO it's either:

Extend Ash on reduced coin (I have no idea what this figure would look like)
    Sign an established half which at this stage is really limited to SJ in the NRL, or Widdop/Sezer/Whoever in the SL
    Bank on Toby or Tanah to be ready in 2022 (jury still out, Toby the more likely)

These decisions need to be underwritten with consideration for who is going to get the most out of Fifita (and everyone else but lets be honest especially Fifi), isn't going to cost us marquee money (800+), going to be an immediate improvement on Ash, and who is going to bring the skillset complementary to that of Fogarty.

When I look at the above criteria (which i've thought of myself as I sit here eating nachos so take it with a grain of salt), and the options that are available, we're pretty short for options in the market really.

For what it's worth - I don't think signing a marquee half is the way to go at this point in time (800k +, e.g. A Reynolds). It would give us shortened premiership window, especially when he's near retirement age. There's always a balance in a roster but we've allocated that marquee cash elsewhere and have other priorities in the immediate future that another 800-1mil dollar player could make difficult (e.g. recruiting a hooker, extending AJ)

Melbourne and Penrith have shown the way to create a strong roster across the board - junior development, systems, getting value from low-cost players, and the ability to have players (mostly your own juniors) commit to your club for less than they could secure on the open market. That's the way to being a sustainable, competitive club for the long term with repeated success. Easier said than done, though
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 28-04-21 at 07:08 PM.

Inactive User

What HS said.....except for the Nachos

Bring back Sezer wish he never left

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Bring back Sezer wish he never left
    Yeah same, very underrated player. Fantastic goal kicker too. Was wasted at Canberra. We only lost him because of DCE.

Will Jojo Fifita be ready next year if Don isn’t playing. Because if not Blake Ferguson could be one we target for next year as with him and Thompson at the back we would be sure to get our sets started in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSloth View Post
    Will Jojo Fifita be ready next year if Don isn’t playing. Because if not Blake Ferguson could be one we target for next year as with him and Thompson at the back we would be sure to get our sets started in a good way
    Blake Ferguson + Gold Coast = trouble.

With you HS but never put salt on nachos ... Sezer I’m ok with but would rather a quality hooker ... anything in QCup? Wing we can deal with from inside I think.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Melbourne and Penrith have shown the way to create a strong roster across the board - junior development, systems, getting value from low-cost players, and the ability to have players (mostly your own juniors) commit to your club for less than they could secure on the open market. That's the way to being a sustainable, competitive club for the long term with repeated success. Easier said than done, though
    Excellent summary f your thoughts HS. Especially the last paragraph.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

CM reporting we are having a crack at Paul Turner.

Hats off to the forum member who tipped this one last week...you know who you are. Good mail

Edit: He’s a Warriors half/fullback, still only 20. Instinctive player with good pace and creativity. Wouldn’t be a bad signing in that he brings a different dynamic and skill set to what we have with Toby & Tanah currently.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 29-04-21 at 06:49 PM.

CM reporting we are having a crack at Paul Turner.

Hats off to the forum member who tipped me off on this one last week...you know who you are. Good mail
    I had to Google who Paul Turner was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I had to Google who Paul Turner was!!
    Hahaha what do you mean MT he’s a household name
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 29-04-21 at 06:47 PM.

Hahaha what do you mean MT he’s a household regular
    Hmmm
    I gather he is the bloke who played three games for the Warriors last year. I have to confess that I hadn't heard of him. I trust he isn't the replacement for Ash as I was hoping for someone a little higher profile.