Page 22 of 176 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast

CAMERON SMITH TO GET PERFECT SEND-OFF WITH TITANS

Cameron Smith is still keeping the NRL world on its toes even with clubs returning to pre-season training last week.

The 37-year-old is officially unemployed after seeing his contract with the Melbourne Storm expire last month — and is still yet to announce if he will return for one final season.

Swirling rumours and speculation continues to suggest Smith has already played his final game with the Storm and is reportedly weighing up one final season with the Gold Coast Titans.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said on Monday the Titans could pull-off a double signing coup by picking up Smith for one final year before swapping him for Storm utility Brandon Smith for the 2022 season.

Brandon Smith is contracted to the Storm for 2021, but the Storm are reportedly open to letting him leave — as part of a player trade deal — following the club’s decision to go with Harry Grant as its first choice No. 9 next year.

Rothfield says it all adds up to the Titans pulling off deals for both Smiths.

“I have a feeling Cameron Smith will play for the Gold Coast Titans next year,” he told Sky Sports Radio.

“For one year to say goodbye. And what a good story it would be if he could drive them into the finals with their other new signings. And then after one year, he’ll be replaced by Brandon Smith. That’s just a theory I’ve got.

“With the Bryce Cartwright money, they’ve got $650,000-$700,000 left in the cap. With young (Nathan) Peats leaving, they don’t have a hooker. Cameron is living on the Gold Coast.”

“He hasn’t woken up and said I’ve had enough. So he hasn’t made a decision.

“Jeez it would be a good story.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ke...d56c1f497e5a9b
    Psmitty

^^^
    A few of us on here have trotted out this theory - I hope it is right.

I reckon Cam is clever enough to know that the longer he delays his decision he avoids the grind of pre season training.

Kevin Walters wants to steal Gordon Tallis back to the Broncos. Anyone think that's actually likely to happen?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    ^^^
    A few of us on here have trotted out this theory - I hope it is right.

I reckon Cam is clever enough to know that the longer he delays his decision he avoids the grind of pre season training.
    What a turn around for the club if they managed to pull that off. Truly would make the management one of the best in the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    G'day Willhelm, where did you read that Tanah is no longer considered a hooker? I think he's a half, but I just read an article yesterday where Holbrook was quoted as saying he's happy with either Rein, Clark or Boyd in the 9.
    I also read that yesterday, but I also read the same story that Menoitis quoted... so confusion reigns.
    Last edited by shamus; 14-12-20 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Bad grammarr

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I also read that yesterday, but I also read the same story that Menoitis quoted... so confusion reigns.
    Think it was this article:

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...f7a2cc264f6b4e

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I think Holbrook just means he's an option at hooker if need be. He's spending pre-season training in the halves and that's where the club sees him long term if he's up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I think Holbrook just means he's an option at hooker if need be. He's spending pre-season training in the halves and that's where the club sees him long term if he's up to it.
    Yep, that's my interpretation too. Both Smiths? ... love it! Tallis back to Broncos ... can't see it, I think he will diplomatically say "I will always have a soft spot for the Broncos but I'm a Titans man now."
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Tallis promised Fifita he’d mentor and support him at the Titans.
    Also he’s very close I think with the Frizelle’s.
    I reckon Tallis is totally one of us now.

Cheers everyone on the Tanah subject

C Smith for 12 months would be invaluable to the club...no matter which direction we took after that. I hope we can swing it!

I hope if Cam comes to the Titans it'll be a good fit for coach and playing group. Would he fit in with senior players without stepping on any toes, would he be welcomed with open arms for what he can possibly do for the club chances by the players?

Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook addresses Cameron Smith links
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Cameron Smith’s playing future is looking less likely to continue on the Gold Coast, but the club hasn’t given up hope of luring another big name north.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook admits he is still yet to speak with Cameron Smith about his playing future as the club eyes a move for his teammate Brandon Smith for the 2022 season.

The older of the Smith’s – Cameron – is on the Gold Coast with his family mulling over his future plans around whether he will play on with Melbourne, join another club or retire.

With his contract now expired with the Storm, speculation is rife that the 37-year-old will announce his retirement following a decorated 430-game career.

However, he has been linked with a move to the Titans for the 2021 season.

Storm hierarchy were hoping to speak with Smith last weekend about his future, when chairman Matt Tripp was due to fly to Queensland from Melbourne, however that meeting has since been delayed, forcing a possible announcement until post-Christmas.

Meanwhile, Holbrook admitted he had still heard “nothing at all” from the Melbourne champion.

“I haven’t spoken to him,” Holbrook said.

“I guess he’s still yet to decide whether he wants to play on next year.

“I’m not too sure what he plans to do.”

The club is also weighing up a move for his Storm teammate Brandon Smith for the 2022 season, despite being left off a game-wide email from his manager earlier this month.

Gold Coast head of performance Mal Meninga revealed last week the club had strong interest in the 24-year-old and would be discussing a possible move to secure his signature.

However, a release by Melbourne will be dependent on whether the club can secure a replacement player from the Titans of equal ability.

Holbrook said the club would benefit from the New Zealand No.9's character and competitiveness.

“He obviously wants to start at hooker at a club and everyone is well aware of that,” he said.

“Not too sure how that will pan out with the Storm.

“The character that he is and the competitiveness in his game and his ability to play a number of positions is why he’s so valuable.”

The Titans also announced on Wednesday they are set to kick off their 2021 campaign in northern NSW. The club will host the Warriors February 27 for an NRL pre-season trial match at Lismore’s Oakes Oval.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Brian Kelly has signed on again with the Titans till the end of 2023

Great news

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the Brian Kelly signing news

Titans strike centre Brian Kelly has committed to the Club in a deal that will see him remain on the Gold Coast until the end of 2023.

One of the most exciting attacking players in the game, Kelly developed his game in 2020 under the guidance of Justin Holbrook in a season that saw him win the Paul Broughton Medal as Club Best and Fairest.

The 24-year-old from Ballina played 16 games in 2020, scoring six tries.

“I think it is fantastic news for our Club that Brian Kelly is going to continue his career here,” Justin Holbrook said.

“It’s great having a young player that grew up in Northern New South Wales, in Ballina.

“It means a lot to him to stay at this Club and it means a lot to us to keep him here.

“He’s shown in particular last season what a strike centre he is, one of the best in the competition, and I think it is just awesome for myself that BK is staying here and it is great news for all of our fans.”

Kelly says he wants to continue to improve his game under the Titans coaching staff.

“I think Justin and my relationship is building and he just wants the best for me,” Kelly said.

“I get along with him really well and having the new (high performance) staff there as well, I believe they are going to get the best out of me and I can’t wait (for 2021).”
    Only just saw this on the Titans twitter page. In the video interview it looked as though him and his family are really loving it up here. Everything seems to be falling into place nicely for the Titans, easily the most excited I've been as a fan in years.

TITANS SNAP UP BOOM ROOKIE

The Titans are slowly but surely building a strong squad and have picked up a good 'un in Palm Beach Currumbin High School graduate Jaylan De Groot.

A long-striding fullback, the 18-year old was in high demand but chose to stay with his junior club on the coast.

De Groot became a hot property when he scored four tries for Northern Rivers Titans against Newcastle in the Laurie Daley Cup in February and coach Justin Holbrook pushed hard to sign the youngster.

He's a year or so off NRL - but will be one to watch next season.

Anyone know much about this kid? Seem to have a couple decent young fullbacks now with Campbell too

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    TITANS SNAP UP BOOM ROOKIE

The Titans are slowly but surely building a strong squad and have picked up a good 'un in Palm Beach Currumbin High School graduate Jaylan De Groot.

A long-striding fullback, the 18-year old was in high demand but chose to stay with his junior club on the coast.

De Groot became a hot property when he scored four tries for Northern Rivers Titans against Newcastle in the Laurie Daley Cup in February and coach Justin Holbrook pushed hard to sign the youngster.

He's a year or so off NRL - but will be one to watch next season.

Anyone know much about this kid? Seem to have a couple decent young fullbacks now with Campbell too
    MDrew has posted about him a fair bit in the juniors thread, including when we signed him about a month ago. He can play. Came through with Weaver & co. I’ll leave it with mdrew to give some good insight

Edit: here are some highlights from this year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Rkck9D27s