Page 64 of 176 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 164 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    ? They're all either over the hill, unproven or injury-prone.

Someone could post the list again but from what I remember, there isn't exactly much on offer in terms of spine players and what makes it a bit harder is that when someone does become available, we won't have as much money for a 9 and 6/7 because we paid $1.5mill for a second rower.
    In the last few weeks there has been talk about Reynolds, Johnson, Townsend and Deardon. There may have been others but a few Friday night reds may have dimmed my memory.
    Whether any of those blokes do it for you, I am not sure, but all of them are much better than Ash. We will not win anything with our current halves which diminishes somewhat the signings of Tino and Fifita if we can't get the best out of them via decent halves.
    Anyway, seems like I am in the minority here on this one, so that's my last on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    In the last few weeks there has been talk about Reynolds, Johnson, Townsend and Deardon. There may have been others but a few Friday night reds may have dimmed my memory.
    Whether any of those blokes do it for you, I am not sure, but all of them are much better than Ash. We will not win anything with our current halves which diminishes somewhat the signings of Tino and Fifita if we can't get the best out of them via decent halves.
    Anyway, seems like I am in the minority here on this one, so that's my last on the subject.
    No no, I agree that just about any half is better than Ash and maybe Fog, I guess I'm just worried about paying overs for a Johnson (always injured), Reynolds (probably the best of that lot but getting older), Townsend simply rode the coattails of Maloney and Deardon hasn't exactly shown much at the Broncos when he was there...however with Deardon, I honestly think he's been thrown under the bus and no young half would have been able to turn that team around.

I 10000% agree with you about your comment re Weaver being the future. Seriously, how many times have we heard that before of kids coming out of our juniors system?
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 07-05-21 at 06:49 PM.

Wasn’t Tyrone May meant to be the super star 5/8 at Penrith prior to his grubby suspension.
    A bloody solid 5/8 IMO and not first pick at the pennys so is he an anomaly in the halves equation?

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Oh, $1.2 mill, my bad. Still a lot to play for a forward.
    He's pretty much won us every game we've won, kept us in the games that were close and when he didn't show up and play we got flogged. Not getting on that bus just yet. He's out most successful marquee $ signing to date in the club history imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    He's pretty much won us every game we've won, kept us in the games that were close and when he didn't show up and play we got flogged. Not getting on that bus just yet. He's out most successful marquee $ signing to date in the club history imo.
    Agreed JB

Most successful marquee signing until daddy Fermy gets the marquee money he deserves

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Yepsie ... Tino ok but missed 2 games so Fifita by far the most productive so far.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

NRL 2021: Contract clause puts Titans star Tino Fa’asuamaleaui in crosshairs of expansion club
    A contract clause in Tino Fa’asuamaleaui’s deal at the Titans will ensure he’s a prime recruitment target for Brisbane’s new NRL team.

Travis Meyn

Titans star Tino Fa’asuamaleaui has emerged as prime recruitment target for Brisbane’s new NRL team following revelations the Queensland Origin forward has a contract clause enabling him to spearhead an expansion franchise in 2023.

Fa‘asuamaleaui will make a welcome return from suspension for the Gold Coast in Saturday’s crunch game against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium.

The Titans have lost their past three matches, including the two Fa’asuamaleaui missed following a shoulder charge ban, and are desperate to get their season back on track.

Fa’asuamaleaui has been one of the club’s best players in 2021 after joining the Titans on the back of last year’s premiership triumph with Melbourne and debut Origin series victory.

At 21, he is already one of the club’s leaders and a favourite of coach Justin Holbrook, but the Titans could face a fight to retain Fa’asuamaleaui when he becomes a free agent.

The Titans trumpeted Fa’asuamaleaui’s signing as a three-year contract, however the final season of the deal in 2023 is an option in his favour, essentially leaving him open to a poaching raid.

The NRL is pushing to launch a 17th club in Brisbane from 2023, making the Gympie-raised Fa’asuamaleaui a potential marquee recruit for the new franchise.

Maroons legend and Titans ambassador Gorden Tallis said he hoped Fa’asuamaleaui’s happiness at the Gold Coast would see him remain at the club long-term.

“When he comes off-contract there will be a lot of clubs talking to him but you would love him to stay,” he said. “He committed to the club and wanted to come home. From all reports he is super happy there.

“I don’t think he would want to leave given what is building there. I’m confident we are heading in the right direction.

“Hopefully we are in a situation where he doesn’t want to leave the club.”

If the NRL approves expansion for either the Brisbane Jets, Firehawks or Dolphins in July, the winning bid team will only have a few months to assemble recruitment targets before the 2023 free agents hit the open market in November this year.

The Jets bid team — based closest to the Gold Coast of the three expansion hopefuls — have already met the Titans to strike a collaborative partnership.

Jets recruitment manager Scott Sattler, the Titans’ foundation football chief, said they would not target Fa’asuamaleaui behind the Gold Coast’s back.

“Tino is heading in the direction of being a marquee player for any club,” he said.

“I was aware of the clause in his contract, but the Brisbane Jets will always be really respectful while being robust in our decisions around players.

“I’m really respectful of Tino and his family. The Titans showed a lot of faith in spending a lot of money on a kid that wasn’t a starting forward but wanted to be the cornerstone of their club.

“I’m really respectful of the Gold Coast Titans giving him that opportunity. I’d like to think we would go through the front door first given the Titans have given him an opportunity.

“A lot of discussions need to be had before a decision of that nature is made. The Titans are a club trying to grow. It’s not about trying to work against each other in southeast Queensland. It’s about working collaboratively to grow the game and build participation.

“We aren’t going to play the nice guys all the time. You have to stand up for what you believe in. But there is also a gentlemen’s agreement about being able to have those open conversations.”

Earlier this year, Fa’asuamaleaui said he wanted to help the Titans become a powerhouse of the NRL like his former club Melbourne.

“There is a good culture we are building here and hopefully we can build into a powerhouse like the Storm, Roosters and Rabbitohs,” he said.

“That is our goal and it is starting. We’ve got a good bunch of boys here and a young crew that will be here for a while.

“I’ve really enjoyed it. I’m close to family and have a good bunch of boys, coaching staff and team. I am happy I’ve made the move.

“We’re slowly building at the moment. There’s a lot of little steps before we start thinking about being a powerhouse.

“I want to show the boys that we can do it no matter what, as long as you work hard.

“Hopefully one day we can bring a premiership home for the town.”

Fa’asuamaleaui will start in the front row in his return from suspension and Holbrook said he would be a huge inclusion.

“He will be massive, you throw Tino on the field and we probably win both of those games (Rabbitohs and Broncos losses) and not under as much scrutiny,” he said.

“He brings a presence and the competitiveness in him is a huge boost for everyone.

“The minute he came to training I had to tell him to slow down and calm down. I knew what we were going to get from him and off the back of the season he had last year with Melbourne.

“For a young guy, he sets some unbelievable standards, not just for himself but everyone around him. As coaches, you don’t want to put expectations on guys but he can handle it.”

^Part of the reason we shouldn't be diving headfirst into any panic buys like the A Reynolds or Shaun Johnson types on big money. Keep the powder dry until the guy you really want becomes available at 6 or 7 while keeping in mind any future Tino, AJ and Moe conversations.

But these types of articles sometimes indicate an extension is not too far away.

I’m certainly no Taylor fan nor Fogarty either for that matter but chasing hacks and fantasies don’t do it for me either. Knee jerk reactions in an empty market can only end up in tears ... the three p’s: patience patience and patience.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Shocked that Clark wanted so much. (Don't know the exact figure). NRL is a different level and testing yourself in it should count for something. I don't think Brits usually start with big bucks in the NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Who does he think he is? Sam Tomkins?

I agree with the thoughts on being cool on the halves market.

Happy to see the Broncos sign Stagg. And that he isn't with us.

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic comments and insights. I get a lot out of it.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

I would go for Milford providing the cost is right. The player has talent and the game against the Titans he was the best half on the field. I just think he needs the right coach and the style of play by the Titans in attack would suit his style as we have 2 structured halves in Fogerty and Boyd. He would be an upgrade on AT by a long distance

Noooooooopppppppppeeeeeeeeee

I'd take Benji before Milf

I agree, I feel like Milford needs a Fogarty next to him and he hasn't had that since Hunt. Wouldn't mind him for cheap.
    Bring back Kevin Gordon

I'd rather Milford over ash at the right price I agree he would Suit our style Of play but only if he's motivated to get back to top form he's got the same problems ash ash abit mentally weak on the field

First Grader

I'd take milf over any available half minus SJ.

Under an attacking style of footy he is still a gun. He just needs confidence back and a team on the front foot. Both of which holbrook can provide. Plus he would be cheap as. You could pick him up for 400k I think