Page 33 of 176 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 133 ... LastLast
    Inactive User

That poor dead horse just keeps on getting flogged and flogged

The announcement is at CBus. My guess is it’s Membership Numbers / Sponsors
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    The announcement is at CBus. My guess is it’s Membership Numbers / Sponsors
    Deal extension to stay at CBus until the end to the broadcast cycle.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    That poor dead horse just keeps on getting flogged and flogged
    It's a lolocopter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Deal extension to stay at CBus until the end to the broadcast cycle.
    Thanks for the news.

No sign of Smith as Titans extend Cbus deal
    http://www.nrl.com

The Titans have announced an extended deal with their home venue Cbus Super Stadium but despite plenty of social media speculation, Cameron Smith was unsighted at Tuesday's announcement.

A picture on Facebook of the unsigned 37-year-old at training for local club the Mudgereeba Redbacks sparked media speculation Tuesday's press call could be to announce the signing of the 430-game veteran.

In welcoming the extended deal with Stadiums Queensland, club CEO Steve Mitchell also addressed the Smith speculation as an "endearing" sign of interest in the club.

"Retention and recruitment is something we don't comment on, but we haven't had any discussions [with Smith]," Mitchell said.

"The start of the season's about three weeks away… It's never been looked at as an option."

The public and media interest was still a positive sign for the club though, he added.

"Media speculation around Cam coming to the club has been a wonderful PR campaign for us," he said.

"We've got media exposure you couldn't buy so I have to be grateful for that. It's really good intent.

"The population and the fanbase and the media are very excited about the future for us so that speculation is endearing. We're very grateful."

Mitchell said the long-term deal at the home venue was a great sign of stability for fans, who had filled the stadium under its COVID-reduced capacity through its five-game winning streak to end 2020.

"We have extended our agreement with Stadiums Queensland which gives us the ability to be here right through to the back end of the next broadcast cycle. For us that's an enormous statement," he said.

"The Gold Coast is our home… We're very excited about being here for that time, we want to build this venue as a fortress for Justin [Holbrook] and the team. We've got some really big games coming this year that we're looking forward to.

"We're hoping for at least 25,000 at the Broncos game which will be our first home game this year. It's a super exciting piece for us. It talks to our commitment for the Gold Coast and the region.

"It talks to our future which is about success on the field and off the field and to make our region proud of what we're doing. We want to thank our partner in Stadiums Queensland and Kristian (Blundell, operations manager) in particular."

Despite some specualtion last year, Mitchell said the club had never contemplated leaving Cbus.

"We were never going anywhere. We're really excited about the future," he said.

"We've got a team that's really starting to rally. Culturally we're in a really strong space with our player roster, we have a wonderful coach on our hands. We have great owners in the Frizell and Kelly families.

"We're aligned and we're excited about the future and as testimony of that we've had the opportunity to do a partnership, if we take the options, right through to the back end of the next broadcast cycle. Which for us gives us a real runway for stability and success over the next seven years and the opportunity to bring a premiership back here.

"Those five games we won at the back end of last year on capacity at the time under the restrictions with COVID, we sold out those games and we still had waiting lines at the back of that so we're looking forward to an active participation fan base here on game days. We want to out cheer our opposition crowds which historically could have been the reverse.

"In line with that our membership conversion rate this year is the strongest it's been since 2011. We're buoyed by that confidence."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

^^^
    Well that's a nothing announcement - not really worth the press release about a significant announcement. Where else are we going to play. I hope the crowds this year justify opening the entire stadium but even if not, I hope the whole stadium is open. Having that southern end closed is a terrible look on tv.

Inactive User

Mal just broke wind
    It must mean CSmith is being announced in the morning

Gotta love at this but there’s another major announcement scheduled for tomorrow by the Titans at one of the high schools it’s 99% not Smith but you’ve gotta love the club milking the suspense and rumours for everything they are worth. At least it’s getting the club good exposure!

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Gotta love at this but there’s another major announcement scheduled for tomorrow by the Titans at one of the high schools it’s 99% not Smith but you’ve gotta love the club milking the suspense and rumours for everything they are worth. At least it’s getting the club good exposure!
    Feel like that’s going to be about our schoolgirl and schoolboy cup initiative. If cam happens it will probably drop next couple of weeks on a Thursday

Love the hype around the Club ... the Camerith rumour mill doesn't worry me as much as the "We're very excited about being here for that time" comment from our CEO. A cynic might read relocation is a possibility ... just stirring the pot :-) of course we're not going anywhere.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

So according to the CM today Mal is quoted as saying that C Smith WON'T be at the Titans this year. According to the article Smith never replied to Meninga's approach.
    Moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    So according to the CM today Mal is quoted as saying that C Smith WON'T be at the Titans this year. According to the article Smith never replied to Meninga's approach.
    Moving along.
    I wouldn't be moving along quite yet

I'm with HS. Not sure why the headlines are that suddenly it's either Broncos or retirement for Cam (no surprise it's from our mate Badel though trying to push the narrative for his beloved Broncos). All Mal said is that he hasn't spoken to him and I think all of us can call BS on him saying "we are not looking at him as an option", especially when he said it with a giant smirk on his face.

If he wasn't an option why would we have 600k+ just sitting around left in our cap? And you'd have to be stupid to not show interest if he is looking at coming to us.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out but we are definitely still a chance
    Last edited by BundyTitan; 19-02-21 at 02:16 PM.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I wouldn't be moving along quite yet
    ^^^^^^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    All Mal said is that he hasn't spoken to him
    Brisbane Broncos emerge as shock candidates to sign NRL legend Cameron Smith
    Gold Coast may have pulled out but another Queensland club wouldn’t turn down the chance of snapping up the services of Cameron Smith if the NRL legend decided to play on.

Peter Badel
    and
    Travis Meyn
    3 min read
    February 19, 2021 - 6:16AM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The Broncos have put out the welcome mat for Cameron Smith, with Brisbane emerging as the shock last resort for the Queensland legend.

News Corp can reveal the Broncos have not ruled out the prospect of signing Smith and have the salary cap space available to pull off a remarkable coup.

Nearly four months after Melbourne’s 2020 NRL premiership triumph, Smith is yet to announce his future plans, fuelling speculation he could extend his record-breaking 430-game career.

The Titans were heavily linked to Smith given his family has relocated to the Gold Coast. But they withdrew from the race on Thursday, with culture chief Mal Meninga admitting “he won’t be at the Titans”.

Smith, 37, will not be returning to Melbourne, leaving the Broncos as his only option if he decides to play on into a record 20th NRL season.

The Broncos have more than $500,000 available in their 2021 salary cap following the release of hooker Andrew McCullough to St George Illawarra.

That would be enough to sign Smith, a $1 million-a-season player, if he joins the club in March or April, given nearly half of the NRL’s contracting year will have elapsed.

Broncos chairman Karl Morris said he would send a limousine to the Gold Coast to pick up Smith if he wanted to play for Brisbane.

“Look, who wouldn’t want Cam Smith, he is a legend of the game,” he said.

“But I can honestly say I haven’t spoken to him and I don’t know anyone at the Broncos who has spoken to him.

“The ball is in his court. If Cam called any club tomorrow and said he wanted to play for them, including the Broncos, you would send a limousine to his house.

“Which of the 16 clubs would not want Cam on their books? But we haven’t had any talks so we haven’t had any plans to sign him.”

Smith famously chose Melbourne over the Broncos as a kid, rejecting Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett’s advances to forge the NRL’s greatest ever career at the Storm.

It would be a remarkable story if he pulled on a Broncos jersey, the club he grew up in Logan supporting, for a career swansong.

The Titans were believed to be leading the race for Smith, but Meninga admitted nothing had eventuated from the Gold Coast’s interest.

“We haven’t talked to Cam Smith, that is 100 per cent fact,” Meninga said.

“It really is that simple. There is all sorts of talk about him living on the Gold Coast and playing for us, but we haven’t spoken to him.

“I don’t have any idea what Cam is doing. I don’t know if he’s retiring. I’m in the dark like everyone else. But I know he won’t be at the Titans.

“Look, the reality is he is a Melbourne boy and the Storm have some very powerful businessmen.

“Because he was down at Mudgeeraba in a light blue shirt kicking a footy around in boots people want to think he’s going to sign with the Titans. I wasn’t behind the toilet shed trying to sign him I can tell you.

“He won’t be with us, simple as that.”

Smith’s future has become one of the most mysterious narratives in NRL history.

His Storm deal expired in November but he has yet to formally announce his retirement, despite being chaired off Suncorp Stadium by Melbourne teammates during last year’s finals series.

The Titans had the salary cap space to sign Smith, but he never responded to Meninga’s approach and will not be turning out for the Gold Coast.

“Does that mean people will finally stop asking me?” said Titans coach Justin Holbrook with a laugh.

“I was always happy with Mitch Rein, Erin Clark and Tanah Boyd (at hooker), that’s why I was never too worried about it all.

“It was good for the hype, but I said all along you need to ask him what he wants to do.

“I have never spoken to him. We will see what he ends up doing.”