Page 45 of 176 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 145 ... LastLast

No to both a BIG no also

Forward thinking gives Titans try-scoring edge
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...-scoring-edge/

Young star David Fifita is leading a revolutionary change at the Titans that could debunk the theory that forwards win matches and backs determine by how much.

After three games of the Telstra Premiership, it is the Gold Coast's forwards who lead their try-scoring tally over their backline stars as they emerge as one of the top attacking teams in 2021.

Fifita and winger Corey Thompson are the team's leading tryscorers with three apiece, but it’s the early season four-pointers to front-rowers Jarrod Wallace, Jaimin Joliffe and Moeaki Fotuaika plus hooker Erin Clark that’s helped the pack edge ahead of the backs with seven tries to six.

Winger Anthony Don, who is the club's all-time leading tryscorer but has yet to cross the stripe in 2021, revealed the Titans' new game plan is designed to create opportunities with a young pack that can exploit tired defences with their skills and footwork.

With the tactic proving successful against the Broncos and Cowboys, the Titans have been able to score 13 tries in three rounds to sit behind the Roosters (19) as the leading tryscorers in 2021.

"We try to put pressure on the opposition team and want to try to camp down on their try line," Don said.

"We know the ball is in play for a while then toward the back end of halves, the midfield is going to open up, especially once the quick play-the-balls start.

"The middles have been doing an amazing job with short tip-ons and running off the halves and supporting each other and ball-playing themselves.

"At the moment we’re putting teams under a lot of pressure and something that cracks first is the middle so we’ve been exposing other team’s middles at the moment

"But you never know week to week that can change and I think the guys in the middle have been doing a great job and there is no need for the ball to go out wide when they’re scoring in the middle."

Much of their middle success is coming from the likes of new recruit Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Wallace, Fotuaika, Tyrone Peachey and Joliffe who are giving them a powerful midfield presence to create second-phase opportunities.

Don was part of the last Titans finals team in 2016 but said this year’s side had a completely different vibe to it given their star players are yet to hit the prime of their careers while previously the Gold Coast’s biggest names were entering the twilight zone.

"It’s a really young team, an up-and-coming team and it’s a team getting better as we go on," he said.

Queensland games moved to Sydney, AAMI Park match remainsQueensland games moved to Sydney, AAMI Park match remains

"It’s nothing like a team I’ve played in, in the past. It’s going to improve as the season goes.

"Back in the day we had players like Luke Bailey, Nate Myles and Greg Bird but it’s a different feel, they were more at the back end of their careers whereas at the Titans now all our big stars are young like AJ [Brimson], David and Tino."

The Titans have had to contend with some upheaval this week due to the COVID-19 lockdown in south-east Queensland and will take on Canberra at Kogarah's Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in the second match of Saturday's double-header instead of on the Gold Coast.

The Titans will stay in Sydney post-game on Saturday before hopefully heading back to the familiar surroundings of Cbus Super Stadium in round five to face the Knights.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Might be worth a bit of time and keep and eye on LAM could be handy for us to pick up for next year if Walker keeps playing the way he did good on him too

Walker is Alf reincarnated ... looked very likely.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I didn't realise Walker was that type of Walker. Used to love Chris and was delighted that he joined the Titans. Still remember him winning a game for us in the Central Coast in the dying seconds against the Roosters. I was there for that one.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I can see why there is hype about him. Fantastic 1st game for an 18 year old

TITANS

Gold Coast’s current preferred halves pairing of Ash Taylor and Jamal Fogarty is solid, but it remains to be seen if they can lead a team to a premiership.

Taylor is off-contract at the end of 2021 and Fogarty’s deal expires at the end of 2022, the same year that back-up half Tanah Boyd’s deal comes to an end.

Like Milford, Taylor will not command the same money as his current $1 million a season deal, but Justin Holbrook appears to be a fan and he could get a reduced deal to stay beyond 2021.

While Fogarty has improved a lot he is still not up there with the best halves in the NRL.

Milford could potentially be reunited with Taylor after the pair spent time at the Broncos, despite the Titans No.6 playing just one game for Brisbane in 2015.

Taylor could potentially move back to halfback on a reduced deal and allow Milford to come in as a running five-eighth.

Taylor at his best was an exceptional halfback and was a leader in the try assist category during his best years at the Titans from 2016 to 2018.

The Titans have a formidable pack, which would allow Milford to pick and choose his moments off the back of some quick ball and could return to his damaging best.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...8d78424c0317ba
    Psmitty

I read we extended Erin Clarke for two years and are going hard for Daryl Clark in england still however need to up.oue offer

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/08/clarks-on-the-coast-titans-to-extend-one-and-step-up-hunt-for-another/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    TITANS

Gold Coast’s current preferred halves pairing of Ash Taylor and Jamal Fogarty is solid, but it remains to be seen if they can lead a team to a premiership.

Taylor is off-contract at the end of 2021 and Fogarty’s deal expires at the end of 2022, the same year that back-up half Tanah Boyd’s deal comes to an end.

Like Milford, Taylor will not command the same money as his current $1 million a season deal, but Justin Holbrook appears to be a fan and he could get a reduced deal to stay beyond 2021.

While Fogarty has improved a lot he is still not up there with the best halves in the NRL.

Milford could potentially be reunited with Taylor after the pair spent time at the Broncos, despite the Titans No.6 playing just one game for Brisbane in 2015.

Taylor could potentially move back to halfback on a reduced deal and allow Milford to come in as a running five-eighth.

Taylor at his best was an exceptional halfback and was a leader in the try assist category during his best years at the Titans from 2016 to 2018.

The Titans have a formidable pack, which would allow Milford to pick and choose his moments off the back of some quick ball and could return to his damaging best.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...8d78424c0317ba
    Big fat no to Milford!

I'm not even that fussed on keeping Atay at a reduced contract. Would prefer we stick with Fogarty and use Tanah, Sexton or Weaver.

Use Ash's $1m to add to our warchest and go after a hooker, large hard running outside back and upgrade AJ

NRL.com reporting Erin Clark has been extended for 2 years. I'm happy with this. He's a great story and I believe he's performed well off the bench this year. Certainly improving with time and he is still very much a newcomer to the top grade. Looking forward to seeing him develop further.

Certainly a humongous no to Milford and Clark’s extension is just an ok at this stage. No problem with Taylor on a reduced deal while pinning hopes on the kids coming through. I think we’re too harsh on Fogarty though who is not spectacular but solid.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I wouldn't mind Milford actually, and I think he would reallyyyyy benefit from not having to organise the team like the Broncos stupidly insist on. The last time he had an organising half around him would have been hunt I guess? I think the writers are cooked though, Milford + Fogarty >>> Milford + Taylor
    Bring back Kevin Gordon

Inactive User

All you need to do is lie back, chill out and think of Weaver

No for Milford but we need a classy half and hooker to make us real contenders. I just not sure there are any on the market except maybe Reynolds. Maybe we could come in between the Bunnies and the Cows. Maybe $750,000 for two years to join a team that has a chance in winning whereas with the Cows I think it will be unlikely. He might like the security in 2 years with a chance to win a premiership. Just a thought but we definitely need to sort out the Taylor issue. I do not think putting him on a reduced contract will be any good for us as he still is just an average half. To go to the next level we need to either buy a class half or take a gamble on the best young half coming through. Someone like the Roosters new half would be good or a Matt Burton type.
    Psmitty

Inactive User

And here we go again, just after years and years of my getting frustrated at our superannuation top up list strategy finally being addressed and us being a local juniors/club that goes after the best young players I now hear fellow fans wanting us to go back to being a retirement home. Get me a bucket.

Don’t be a Garth.

Doesn't St George take the Broncos rejects at the moment?