Page 20 of 176 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast
    Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Solid man. Will teach footy smarts.
    Agree Bods, a very good choice

Of the three storm players in the discussion, B Smith would be my 3rd choice. He doesn't have the creativeness. Given what the storm would like in exchange, and considering the pay he'd want...he drops off my radar all together. In fact, I don't even see B Smith as a genuine, 80 minute hooker. He'd be an excellent utility...but surely...as Mr Bods has suggested several times...we can be happy with our number 9 stocks that helped us win our last 5 games straight.

Considering the upgrade in our forward power next year, I think Rein will have a great season and Clark will be solid. I don't really understand the seeming urgency by everyone to sign a hooker.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 10-12-20 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Of the three storm players in the discussion, B Smith would be my 3rd choice. He doesn't have the creativeness. Given what the storm would like in exchange, and considering the pay he'd want...he drops off my radar all together. In fact, I don't even see B Smith as a genuine, 80 minute hooker. He'd be an excellent utility...but surely...as Mr Bods has suggested several times...we can be happy with our number 9 stocks that helped us win our last 5 games straight.

Considering the upgrade in our forward power next year, I think Rein will have a great season and Clark will be solid. I don't really understand the seeming urgency by everyone to sign a hooker.
    Respectfully, I can't disagree more - that is what a forum is for after all.
    There is no point having a great forward pack if they are not directed by a top class 9. At a pinch I can accept Rein, but Clark was not up to it by a long way. Brandon Smith can cover a few spots but to me is a top class hooker and we need a top grade hooker. I agree though that we shouldn't sacrifice a decent player to get him, however the way the transfer market works the player doesn't necessarily need to come from here. For example the Tigers got Joe O from Broncos which allowed that Tigers forward to go to Manly.
    Just my 2 cents.

Gotta disagree with this take. We should win those 5 games against those teams if we want to be within the 8. If we want to challenge further up the ladder, we still need better quality in key positions. We’ve recruited well but hooker is still probably our weakest spot for such an influential position. I posted a few days ago about how the top teams have a top hooker, and as serviceable as Rein is, he simply doesn’t bring the same value BSmith would - I think this is difficult to argue. I wouldn’t write off him as an impact player only either..his best asset is his running game but this doesn’t mean it’s his only asset. Watch how he controls the forwards coming onto the ball and directs shape in the middle. Creativity is more than just try assists.

I absolutely don’t believe he is worth trading for any of the players mentioned and am sure we won’t entertain that. But he’s the type of player that would bring a lot to our squad which we should always be looking to improve no matter how many games we win in a row.

Funny how this has come out already 2 days after that email was sent to all the clubs except for us. Clearly we’ve been negotiating for a while.

Edit: typos/autocorrect killing me
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 10-12-20 at 08:39 AM.

Look at how smith played at 9 in the all stars game at the start of the year and for the kiwis last year both games he single handlly won them with his runs out of funny half, I think smithhs off the cuff high energy play style suits our side note then the storm, getting quick play the balls of Moe Tino and fifita and then scooting out of dummy half and linking up with ah ash and Fogarty is exactly what we need. Rein can do that too but he's abit too hot and cold and has probably reached his peak

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Respectfully, I can't disagree more - that is what a forum is for after all.
    There is no point having a great forward pack if they are not directed by a top class 9. At a pinch I can accept Rein, but Clark was not up to it by a long way. Brandon Smith can cover a few spots but to me is a top class hooker and we need a top grade hooker. I agree though that we shouldn't sacrifice a decent player to get him, however the way the transfer market works the player doesn't necessarily need to come from here. For example the Tigers got Joe O from Broncos which allowed that Tigers forward to go to Manly.
    Just my 2 cents.
    G'day MT. I have no problem with differing opinions. That's why, although I don't contribute much...I love the forum!

I can't put B Smith in the top class hooker category yet. I don't think he's played in the 9 consistently enough. C Smith, Koroisau, Friend, Cook, Hodgson spring to mind for top class hookers. Then there are the likes of Grant, Mahoney and McInnes. Time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Gotta disagree with this take. We should win those 5 games against those teams if we want to be within the 8. If we want to challenge further up the ladder, we still need better quality in key positions. We’ve recruited well but hooker is still probably our weakest spot for such an influential position. I posted a few days ago about how the top teams have a top hooker, and as serviceable as Rein is, he simply doesn’t bring the same value BSmith would - I think this is difficult to argue. I wouldn’t write off him as an impact player only either..his best asset is his running game but this doesn’t mean it’s his only asset. Watch how he controls the forwards coming onto the ball and directs shape in the middle. Creativity is more than just try assists.

I absolutely don’t believe he is worth trading for any of the players mentioned and am sure we won’t entertain that. But he’s the type of player that would bring a lot to our squad which we should always be looking to improve no matter how many games we win in a row.

Funny how this has come out already 2 days after that email was sent to all the clubs except for us. Clearly we’ve been negotiating for a while.

Edit: typos/autocorrect killing me
    Agree we should always be looking to improve, and we are. The storm are a very well drilled team. A hookers ability to bring the forwards onto the ball is also about the forwards getting their timing and angels right. A good edge backrower sees the same holes opening/defence slackening as the half or hooker does. They call for the ball and run the angel.

I do respect your opinion, HS. I just see how he plays a little differently...and that's cool!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 10-12-20 at 09:00 AM.

G'day MT. I have no problem with differing opinions. That's why, although I don't contribute much...I love the forum!

I can't put B Smith in the top class hooker category yet. I don't think he's played in the 9 consistently enough. C Smith, Koroisau, Friend, Cook, Hodgson spring to mind for top class hookers. Then there are the likes of Grant, Mahoney and McInnes. Time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree we should always be looking to improve, and we are. The storm are a very well drilled team. A hookers ability to bring the forwards onto the ball is also about the forwards getting their timing and angels right. A good edge backrower sees the same holes opening/defence slackening as the half or hooker does. They call for the ball and run the angel.

I do respect your opinion, HS. I just see how he plays a little differently...and that's cool!
    You’re entirely correct re the forwards mate, but wouldn’t underestimate the role the 9 can play in dictating this. I think good forwards will become better forwards with certain hookers controlling that part of the game.

100% mate..differing opinions are what makes this place go round
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 10-12-20 at 09:07 AM.

Inactive User

We have so many good forwards now plus depth.
    It was very clear you know last year that Peachey plays his best footy as a Mid and is uncomfortable when on an edge.
    Why not play Peachey as starting hooker with TBoyd off the bench?
    That way if a backline player goes down during the game then we have all bases covered too. Plus Peachey can move to lock as well if need be.

All would come down I guess to Peachey embracing the role.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 10-12-20 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    We have so many good forwards now plus depth.
    It was very clear you know last year that Peachey plays his best footy as a Mid and is uncomfortable when on an edge.
    Why not play Peachey as starting hooker with TBoyd off the bench?
    That way if a backline player goes down during the game then we have all bases covered too. Plus Peachey can move to lock as well if need be.

All would come down I guess to Peachey embracing the role.
    My worry there Bods is I am not sure Peachey likes to tackle that much.. Agree though that the middle role he filled late this year suited him but I don't see him starting there with Tino coming on board. I would hate to sub Tino off for longer than 15 minutes as he showed in Origin that he can play long quality minutes. Interesting times ahead for the coach.

First Grader

I dont think peachy has the motor to be full time hooker. He often hides in defence when he gets tired and that is when he comes on as an interchange.

Agree we are in real need for a top class hooker as he handles the ball the most.

One thing a good hooker does is to create gaps in the defence by running to the inside shoulder of the defender to move the defenders inwards thereby creating the gap on the defenders outside shoulder to run through the gap created. Also having the defender turn inwards he is generally only able to tackle with an arm and not the body and thus allowing for a quicker play the ball.

This is something our current hookers dont do and no matter how good the forward pack is, if the gaps in defence are not created by the hooker, then they are just running into defenders and limiting their impact and having a slower play the ball which reduces yardage and momentum.

If we are talking hooker that can Cam Mcinnes is the guy we need has every thing we need even leadership
    I still think its a done deal with the Storms and B Smith will be here for start of 2021 and I think Peachy is 1 of the traded player and if it is down to SOO play we have only Wallace left or Sami
    I think with B Smith we are only a top 8 team constantly he a great untility impacts of the bench is un matched but with C Mcinnes we would break into the top 4 constantly His leadership run of quick play the balls his own running game and his service from dummy half and can make 40 to 60 tackles a game with hardly any miss tackles

BSmith reminds me a lot of Isaac Luke but the jury is still out for me. I’m also on the side of great hookers contribute largely to making great forwards ... time will tell but I’m happy enough with Rein and would welcome BSmith but not with a trade at all. CSmith for a season is my fading hope.

Ps. Like McInnes a lot and I think he is a better fit for us than the cheese.
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-12-20 at 02:28 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Mcinnes would be great and he is off contract after next season so anyone can sign him for 2022 now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I’m also on the side of great hookers contribute largely to making great forwards ...
    . CSmith for a season is my fading hope.
    Look at the average players that have looked a million bucks running off Cam Smith so yes I am also in the CSmith for a season hopeful club.
    Last edited by ozynorts; 10-12-20 at 01:32 PM.

Lol, Melbourne wanting either Moe or Tino back as a trade for Brandon Smith. F**k that haha

First Grader

Spry has extended for a further 2 years