Page 13 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Grant, Tino, Mo, Difita in one pack plus AJ is very unlikely but not impossible I suppose.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Psmitty

Inactive User

Have we given up on getting a marquee Hooker yet?

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Agree

Salty Broncos fans are giving him and the Titans socials pages a whole lot of ****, they've got such a putrid fanbase. Cannot wait for him and Tino to ruin them in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Agree

Salty Broncos fans are giving him and the Titans socials pages a whole lot of ****, they've got such a putrid fanbase. Cannot wait for him and Tino to ruin them in 2021.
    How do I give this a triple thumbs up!

There’s a new article in the courier mail online about why Fifita left the broncos, can anyone copy and paste it for us? Please

David Fifita says he won’t be brought down by fame, money and the pressure of expectation as Gold Coast’s $3.5 million recruit pledged to bring premiership success to the Titans.

In his first interview since his bombshell decision in July to quit Brisbane, Fifita broke his silence on why he walked out on the Broncos to defect to a Titans team that has long lived in the shadow of the NRL’s richest club.

The 20-year-old endured a nightmare 2020 campaign, undergoing knee and ankle operations and playing just nine games as the Broncos crashed to the first wooden-spoon in their decorated 32-year history.

Now Fifita arrives at the Titans on the most lucrative deal in the club’s history, with his $1.25 million contract next season making him the joint highest-paid player in the code with Queensland Origin skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.

Given his pay packet, the pressure on the back-row superstar to live up to his potential is enormous, but Fifita backed himself to thrive at the Gold Coast, motivated to deliver the first title in the Titans’ 14-year history.

Fifita watched his good mate, fellow Titans recruit Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, win a premiership at the Storm this season and now the Queensland Origin hulks will join forces to make the Coast the NRL’s kingpins.

“It feels great to be a Titan,” Fifita said.

“There’s no pressure. I am looking forward to the expectation.

“It’s a new challenge, a new opportunity on the Coast, so all the money stuff, my mum looks after that so I don’t have to worry about that.

“All I need to worry about is getting my body right and ripping in next year.

“It would mean everything to make (the Titans a force). That’s the goal next year _ top eight, top four.

“I know myself and the boys will train hard and I can’t wait for round one.

“My ultimate goal is a premiership, 100 per cent. One of my mates Tino already has one, so that’s what I want.”

The Fifita contract bust-up at the Broncos was one of the most explosive episodes of the NRL season.

The month-long saga had more twists-and-turns than a circus contortionist.

Fifita originally verbally agreed to join the Titans, then reneged within 24 hours, then advised he wanted to stay at Brisbane, only to finally quit the Broncos and take a leap of faith on a three-year deal with the Gold Coast.

There were rumours he fell out with embattled Broncos coach Anthony Seibold, who resigned one month later. There were rumours he was filthy on the club for apparently leaking details of his contract to the media.

At the epicentre of the drama was an injured, at times confused 20-year-old grappling with the biggest contract decision of his career.

Souths coach Wayne Bennett, the man who graded Fifita at the Broncos, was so keen the Rabbitohs tabled a $5 million deal, but no amount of cash could convince the Maroons forward to live in Sydney.

Now that the dust has well and truly settled on the affair, Fifita has found peace and clarity, saying he harbours no bad blood with the Broncos and close Brisbane cohorts such as Payne Haas.

“It was hard to leave the Broncos,” he said.

“They were a young crew, too, and some guys there will be mates for life.

“I was injured during that time, so I had the time for it all to sink in. I sat down and thought about what I needed to do.

‘I had personal stuff going on and it impacted me a bit because I wish I was out there playing and I wish things weren’t going the way they were at the Broncos.

“It was a hard decision to make but I love the Gold Coast lifestyle and the beach.

“I had an opportunity to go to Sydney but I didn’t want to go to Sydney.

“This (the Gold Coast) is only one hour away from my house in Brisbane, it’s what’s best for myself and my family.

“I have to look after my family and also with football, seeing how well the Titans did at the back end of the season and the boys that are coming on board, we can do something special.

“I’m grateful and happy to be at the Titans now.”

An ankle operation forced Fifita to withdraw from Queensland’s epic Origin series victory, but he will report for Titans pre-season on Monday and insists he is in no doubt for the season-opener in 2021.

“It was a crap year for myself, but I can’t wait to rip in next year,” he said.

“My ankle and knee are going all right. It’s going well with the physios looking after me, my rehab has gone really well and I start training on Monday.

“I watched Origin, I have some good mates in the team and I’m happy Queensland got the job done, I was really happy they won.

“I have to play my game and I know I have to get my body right and lose some weight.

“If I do that, the rest will look after itself.”

Thanks mate

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Have we given up on getting a marquee Hooker yet?
    Hate to quote myself but does anyone have an opinion??

I think our only option is smith and I'm sure the club's spoke to his management and have a plan ready once he's made his decision and their just waiting for that, I think apart from maybe him our squad is set for the year, reins off contract at the end of next year isn't he?

I wouldn't rule out Brandon Smith either, even he would have to realise now that he's not getting the Storm 9 over Grant so if he wants to be a hooker he'll have to leave. Also Fifita was asked today who he'd like to see join the club and he said I'd love to get the cheese here

I'd love to get the cheese over here playing off the back of Tino, Mo and fifitas quick play the balls, I think his high energy off the cuff playstyle suits the way holdbrook has us playing now

'Off to a great start': Silence on Smith but Fifita already the talk of the Titans

A photo of Cameron Smith's new property, on 4671sq m in the Gold Coast rural hinterland, appeared in the local press up north during the week.

An even better image for Titans fans was the sight of David Fifita wearing the club's colours for the first time on Friday.

David Fifita is looking forward to putting a tumultuous time with Brisbane behind him as he begins his life at the Gold Coast Titans.

Regardless of whether Smith plays on and then does so for the Gold Coast, where his family have splashed some decent cash on a house, Titans supporters are entitled to feel excited about what their $3.5m marquee man will produce.

Fifita is already talking up the club being a ''top eight, a top four'' side.

Coach Justin Holbrook said there was no pressure on the 20-year-old to live up to the price tag, and the excitement for him as a coach would probably hit home on Monday when he addressed the group with Fifita included for the first time.

"David is not a goal-kicking halfback or someone in charge of controlling our team, he just has to do his job as a back-rower, and he's already one of the best back-rowers in the competition,'' Holbrook said.

"I want him to enjoy his footy, he's got so much improvement in his game, and as a coach that's what I'm excited about.

"I said to him before he signed, 'there are no expectations on you, you're a good enough player already, and I just want to help you get better'.

"He's not due in until Monday but I've been in the office and he's been coming in nearly every day doing his rehab, so he's already off to a great start in terms of his commitment to the club.

"I think [the excitement] will be there on Monday when the boys are in and he's one of them. It will be great for our group, that's for sure.

Fifita left the Broncos to sign a mega deal with the Gold Coast, and will be joined by premiership winner and Maroons firebrand forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui. Fa'asuamaleaui signed with the Titans 12 months ago on a deal worth about $500,000 a year, a steal for the Titans given what the 20-year-old has achieved since.

As for coaching Smith, Holbrook, like the rest of the NRL, was in the dark. The Titans have one spot left on their roster, but would move a few things around to accommodate the future immortal.

"None whatsoever, I haven't spoken to him,'' Holbrook said when asked for a Smith update. "You'd probably have a better idea on what he's doing.''

One player league fans should keep an eye on is Jojo Fifita, a schoolboy rugby star who will join the main group in the new year when he turns 18.

A speedy outside back, the youngster is due to undergo a clean-out of his shoulder next week, and will be given time to develop.

Titans boss Dennis Watt told the Herald: "He was with TSS, The Southport School. They had one game this year when there was only room for one spectator because of COVID, and the one guy allowed to watch was Dave Rennie, the Australian coach. Jojo scored four tries.''

The Titans are expected to be the big movers in 2021 given the addition of Fifita and Fa'ausamaleaui, not to mention the rise of gun fullback AJ Brimson.

Fifita said ''it would mean everything'' if he could lead them to the finals for just the second time in the past decade.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/off...20-p56gkt.html

- - - Updated - - -

Positive comments from Holbrook.

Expectations can be a cruel dish ... after such a great finish to the season, the magical recruitment and the ‘no ********s’ mantra within the squad it is hard not to get caught up in our own newly found good press. In reality we are a club ridiculed as perennial losers rising out of one of the NRL’s worst slumps. My expectation is to challenge for a place in the top eight but I don’t think it will come easily. I feel very positive about 2021 and especially confident that our club which has stood firm through all the criticism has its members best interests at heart ... that will do me. Glass half full :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

All that matters right now is a drama free pre season and getting AJ healthy for round 1.