CAMERON SMITH TO GET PERFECT SEND-OFF WITH TITANS

Cameron Smith is still keeping the NRL world on its toes even with clubs returning to pre-season training last week.

The 37-year-old is officially unemployed after seeing his contract with the Melbourne Storm expire last month — and is still yet to announce if he will return for one final season.

Swirling rumours and speculation continues to suggest Smith has already played his final game with the Storm and is reportedly weighing up one final season with the Gold Coast Titans.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said on Monday the Titans could pull-off a double signing coup by picking up Smith for one final year before swapping him for Storm utility Brandon Smith for the 2022 season.

Brandon Smith is contracted to the Storm for 2021, but the Storm are reportedly open to letting him leave — as part of a player trade deal — following the club’s decision to go with Harry Grant as its first choice No. 9 next year.

Rothfield says it all adds up to the Titans pulling off deals for both Smiths.

“I have a feeling Cameron Smith will play for the Gold Coast Titans next year,” he told Sky Sports Radio.

“For one year to say goodbye. And what a good story it would be if he could drive them into the finals with their other new signings. And then after one year, he’ll be replaced by Brandon Smith. That’s just a theory I’ve got.

“With the Bryce Cartwright money, they’ve got $650,000-$700,000 left in the cap. With young (Nathan) Peats leaving, they don’t have a hooker. Cameron is living on the Gold Coast.”

“He hasn’t woken up and said I’ve had enough. So he hasn’t made a decision.

“Jeez it would be a good story.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ke...d56c1f497e5a9b