Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Bryce Cartwright set to quit Gold Coast Titans club as he weighs up his future in the NRL

Big name Titans recruit Bryce Cartwright is on the verge of walking out on the club and heading home to Sydney as details of his desire to leave emerge.

Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
    Subscriber only
    |
    July 26, 2020 1:17pm

Maligned Titans forward Bryce Cartwright is on the verge of quitting the Gold Coast club as he weighs up his future in the NRL.

News Corp can reveal Cartwright is seeking a release from his contract at the Titans to return to Sydney for personal reasons.

Cartwright was a notable omission from the Titans team for last week’s loss to Melbourne and will not face his former club Penrith on Sunday afternoon at Cbus Super Stadium.

It is understood Cartwright has returned to Sydney with his family and may have played his last game for the Titans.

The Titans will also this week finalise a release for $2.4 million flop Shannon Boyd to leave the club.

Boyd has only made one NRL appearance this year and is planning to retire and work in a family business.

The departures of Boyd and possibly Cartwright, along with captain Ryan James’ move to Canberra next year, has freed up significant salary cap space for the Titans.

That allowed the club to secure the signature of boom Broncos forward David Fifita on Saturday on a three-year contract worth $3.5 million.

Cartwright was released by the Panthers to join the Titans in 2018 under former coach Garth Brennan, who was an assistant at Penrith and held a close bond with Cartwright.

He has failed to find any genuine consistent form in 43 games for the Gold Coast and is likely to depart immediately despite being contracted until the end of the 2021 season.

Cartwright, 25, burst onto the NRL scene in 2014 and was talked about as a potential NSW Origin star.

But his defensive efforts have regularly been criticised and it is believed his love for the game has waned in recent years.

Cartwright told News Corp a fortnight ago, in the lead-up to his final game, that he wondered how much longer he could play on for.

“I do worry about how much longer I can keep going,” he said.

“I had a meniscus tear when I was 15 and the surgeon scraped out all the cartilage. Then two years ago, I did the meniscus in my other knee. Since then, it’s been bone-on-bone.

“The critics don’t see what you go through. Two weeks ago, I had to get my knees drained. I had 100ml of fluid taken out. My knees swell up and I have to get it drained all the time. That’s the price some players pay in this game.

“We get paid good money, but it’s not an easy ride.

“It’s hard mentally on me at times. But I always believe in never giving up. I will battle as long as I can until I retire.

“What keeps me going is the feeling I haven’t reached my best.

“I do get disappointed at my inconsistency and I want to get back to playing the football I know I can. I want to repay the Titans for giving me a chance after I left Penrith.”

I did remember thinking we were probably offside because he took 5 seconds Upthetits... was painful to watch at times that game. Think counts ended up a with Panthers getting 5 set restarts and 6 penalties to our 2 set restarts and 3 penalties. Now I am not saying they didn't deserve most of theirs but you can't tell me the Panthers only gave away 2 all game.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by TitanPremiership View Post
    I did remember thinking we were probably offside because he took 5 seconds Upthetits... was painful to watch at times that game. Think counts ended up a with Panthers getting 5 set restarts and 6 penalties to our 2 set restarts and 3 penalties. Now I am not saying they didn't deserve most of theirs but you can't tell me the Panthers only gave away 2 all game.
    It felt like every chance we seemed to get ontop a little we would get called back out of it...I guess my frustration was clouding my judgement.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/...kBcsjNz1nezd8g

Coach isn't happy with the end of sets in the second half.... The million dollar man again.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post

Coach isn't happy with the end of sets in the second half.... The million dollar man again.
    Wasn't happy with the officiating as well.

21 extra sets of 6 tackles. So Titans did well to keep them to 22 points

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post

It wasn’t Ash’s fault that Fogarty kicked the ball out on the full. There’s two playmakers there and Fogarty is the organising half who is meant to guide us around the field. Ash’s game wasn’t great but let’s not aim all of the criticism at him.

For example, when he kicked deep in our half on the third tackle most of our players hadn’t got back on slide despite it being the third tackle. He looked up to pass the ball and nobody was there. I’m not saying that he did the right thing because he really should have tucked the ball and run from dummy half but he’s not the only one to blame in that situation.

On another point, I thought we looked a lot better defensively with Peats on the field compared to our other 2 starting hookers. His passing also looked much improved since we last saw him.

I’d really like to see both Peats and Taylor run more though. At times we look like we just shovel the ball sideways hoping that somebody else will do something.