Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brad Fittler selected Brian Kelly in his team of the week on Wednesday's episode of Freddy & the Eighth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkTwyw-qePI) and when he read out his name he added "he's about the best of the centres at the moment".

Kelly is really underrated, his defence lets him down sometimes but he never stops trying and is so strong for his size

Thanks for posting that Numbers. Back in the day we used to have a thread every year that we'd post about Titans in different Teams of the week. But because of form over years it just wasn't a thing anymore.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Why 2021 will be the year of the Titans
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/22...of-the-titans/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

First Grader

Reading the comments, someone mentions we don't have any old hard heads. Who would we pick up to fit that mould? If we lose proctor our pack is quite young and inexperienced.

Tamou is off contract.

Here you go Titans fans:

Exactly how unpopular are the Broncos? The Friday 6pm game on Fox – often referred to as the game that doesn’t exist – between the Titans and Dragons outrated the Broncos-Roosters 8pm match.

https://twitter.com/dloudon9/status/...500122112?s=21

- - - Updated - - -

FOGARTY BOUNCES BACK, LIVING THE DREAM
    Jamal Fogarty copped it from his mates all last week after being run down by Raiders prop Josh Papalii - but the underrated Titan got the last laugh over the weekend.
    It was Fogarty who scored the try that got the Titans a last-gasp upset win over the Dragons - a just-reward for a player who was almost lost to the game.
    As I wrote last week, Fogarty couldn't make the Titans 30-man squad at the start of 2020, but got a late call-up from coach Justin Holbrook and is now first grade captain with a new contract in his back pocket.

Fogarty is now the pin-up boy for those hundreds of players in their mid-20s who have been cut from the NRL - never give up and you may just realise your dreams.

https://twitter.com/9_moley/status/1300205509337702400?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

https://rlwriters.substack.com/p/tak...9_4Ca_pyN7rA_I
    Some great wraps on us in this article, and if you click the link he includes some videos of the Wallace to Peachey linebreak in the 2nd half which I haven't seen included in any highlight videos. The writer makes some great points about the coaching and how we were constantly taking the line on and turning the ball back on the inside, which eventually had great success for us.

If you’ve been following my articles here at Rugby League Writers in the last few weeks, you’d already know I’m a big AJ Brimson fan.

But with David Fifita and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (among others) joining the club over the offseason, I’m going to get in now before the bandwagon comments start flowing and say I’m big a Gold Coast Titans fan too.

Some in the game have suggested it was risky business to recently extend Head Coach Justin Holbrook’s contract through until the end of the 2024 season - namely given the troubles in Brisbane this year regarding Anthony Seibold’s long term deal.

But if the signs of a good coach are 1; getting your players playing better than before and 2; getting your team working to a game plan, then Holbrook already has runs on the board.

Big name recruits Jarrod Wallace and Tyrone Peachey, for example, have for the most part failed to fire since joining the club, yet both have been instrumental for the Titans in the past few weeks.

Chasing points mid-way through the second half, Wallace takes a carry one-off the ruck, pushing through a tackle before offloading to Peachey back through the middle:

Peachey takes the space on offer before finding Jamal Fogarty, who is unlucky not to link up with Corey Thompson for a try in the corner.

While they didn’t score here, the fundamentals of working back in behind the ruck and against the grain in this passage also applied to their match-winning play in the dying minutes, in a sign that Holbrook’s coaching is starting to take effect.

With less than four minutes on the clock, Mitch Rein fires a wide ball to Ash Taylor at first receiver, forcing Josh Kerr to chase hard from marker. Unfortunately for Kerr and the Dragons, Ben Hunt doesn’t ‘shut the gates’ and slide with him, and Taylor promptly turns the ball back inside to the ever-present AJ Brimson:

Brimson shows great balance and speed to push past Tyson Frizell before linking up with - yep, you guessed it - Fogarty, who caps off another captain’s knock with the well-deserved match-winner.

For Titans’ fans, there are a few things to be pleased about here.

With the game in the balance, it was Gold Coast’s key players - Taylor, Fogarty and Brimson - who stepped up in the clutch moments. More than that, they stuck to a game plan to play close to the line and work back in behind the ruck, even if it didn’t result in points earlier in the match.

At a club where excuses used to be found in every disappointing loss, it’s easy to forget that the Titans were missing captain Kevin Proctor, Jai Arrow, Nathan Peats and Moeaki Fotuaika on Friday night.

Holbrook can take much of the credit for this.

He gave Fogarty a start back in Round 3 and the halfback has developed so much so that he is now captaining the side.

He has fringe first graders like Jaimin Jolliffe and Sam Lisone playing their roles nicely, while the likes of Brian Kelly, Moeaki Fotuaika and Brimson are surely close to career best form.

And as his fellow players step up around him, we’re starting to see the best out of Ash Taylor too.

Justin Holbrook has made serious impressions on the Gold Coast this season, and it won’t be long before the rest of the competition is forced to take notice - if they haven’t already.

And Soward says (didn’t have time to post link NRL.com)

6. Gold Coast Titans (7)

I know they're high, but I wish they were finals-bound because I think they're better than three of the teams in the top eight at the moment. The foundations have been laid this season; now coach Justin Holbrook needs to build the house.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Big wraps from Soward!

Inactive User

https://twitter.com/badel_cmail/stat...867148289?s=21

Badel not only is a grub when it comes to the Titans, it’s the same with the Suns too.
    His problem/chip is with our beautiful city.

Can anyone post the article where Wally talks about AJ's origin chances?

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Can anyone post the article where Wally talks about AJ's origin chances?
    Wally Lewis: AJ Brimson is ready for Origin
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

Queensland great Wally Lewis has thrown his support behind Gold Coast Titans fullback AJ Brimson to make his State of Origin debut this November.

Since returning from a pre-season back injury in Round 12 Brimson has broken the line more than any other NRL player with 11 clean breaks and five tries from eight games.

His explosive running game has caught the eye of Lewis who voiced his support for Brimson to don the Maroons No.14 jersey against New South Wales.

“He’s got enormous talent,” Lewis said.

“He’s had a really good season and one thing he’s proven to selectors is he is a comfortable performer at the highest level.

“When AJ first came onto the scene he really displayed plenty of ability and talent but one of his biggest difficulties was being shifted around in a couple of different positions.

“Now he’s locked in (to fullback) he’s displaying his confidence every time he steps on the field.

“Can he step up? Only time will tell, but his performances this year have been extremely consistent and that’s what it’s all about.”

Lewis said the 22-year-old’s time in limbo between five-eighth and fullback last year could help him become a game-changing spark off the Maroons bench.

“His ability to fill in at halfback, five-eighth and fullback offers a spot on the bench because you’ve to remember Kalyn Ponga, who’s a fairly handy fullback,” Lewis said.

“Ponga has been there and done that (played off the bench) and proven himself to be a consistent performer in that squad.

“We’re all talking about AJ’s form this year but Ponga has form in previous campaigns and for his club.

“We’ve got to remember there are positions on the bench and they may even shift a fullback onto the wing when he gets on the field.”

Jai Arrow is another Titan expected to take the field against New South Wales if healthy but Lewis did not expect any other Titans to join them in Maroon.

With Moeaki Fotuaika’s international allegiance still up in the air, skipper Jamal Fogarty is one longshot for selection.

Lewis praised the 26-year-old former youth worker as a “good kid” but did not believe he would receive the call to deputise Daly Cherry-Evans.

“He’s got plenty of skills and I feel he’s told selectors he’s available,” he said.

“I’d say he’s probably still showing signs of brilliance that promise good things for the future but I’d be a bit surprised if he got the call.

“It’s stunning to me that he couldn’t get out of club football on the Gold Coast but all of a sudden he’s stepped up and shown he’s consistent.

“He’s going to good for the future and he’ll be making his coach (Justin Holbrook) a pretty comfortable man in charge of the club.”

Thanks, I think AJ deserves the call up, he's a classy player and has that toughness to handle origin. Could even almost fill in in the centers he's got all the skills and defensive ability to handle it just would be a risk with his defensive reads having never played there before I don't think