Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2020 Good Media Coverage / Comments.

Thought we should share good write ups of the Titans here going forward. I feel while there is the usual doom and gloom from certain reporters it should be recognised the good comments as well. I feel that we are now very slowly getting the narrative moved from negative to neutral / positive now.

Here is Phil Lutton tweets about the Titans last night.

With Meninga at the Titans, Dennis Watt, what seems like a good coach in Justin Holbrook, I'm not sure I see a ton of reasons why David Fifita wouldn't go there if the offer was that good. Good players attract other good players.

twas indeed mate. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Titans I must admit. Covered them since day one and very competent set up now, trying very hard to get some results on the field. I like the coach.

Here is the link to the tweet so you can see the other comments.

https://twitter.com/phillutton78/sta...292624386?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

The GCB just promoted Tom Boswell to be the sports editor And as a result I’m expecting more positive coverage coming from there from now on.

Also on NRL 360 this week Paul Kent gave us a props by saying that Holbrook is a solid coach and that the back of house in the club is good. First time is have heard him give a good comment on the club.

What a tremendous idea for a thread. Great idea Bayside. I'll be contributing.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Matt Russell on Twitter.

Thinking back to last night - I would go to footy every day to watch @GCTitans Thompson, Fogarty & Hipgrave. #bigonvalue

https://twitter.com/mattrussellfox/s...096166401?s=21

Good thread BT. I’ll try throw in some contributions too.

Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors

The Gold Coast Titans unearthed a surprise hero over the weekend, as long-time Intrust Super Cup player Jamal Fogarty proved his first-grade credentials with a dominant second half display against a battling New Zealand Warriors side.

The Warriors started strongly with two quick tries - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck made Justin Holbrook regret putting second rower Beau Fermor at centre this week, while Peta Hiku showed again why wingers love playing outside him with a beautiful offload through the line to put Ken Maumalo over in the corner.

But that’s about as good as it got for the Warriors, who allowed Gold Coast back into the game through some ill discipline and poor execution, and found themselves defending just a two-point lead in the closing stages of the match.

When Ash Taylor stayed down after putting a kick through in the 62nd minute, Titans fans could have been excused for thinking this was going to be another chance gone begging.

Not Fogarty, though.

The 26-year old half showed all the skill and experience of a playmaking veteran, using his kicking game in particular to win the field position battle and give the Titans a chance at an unlikely comeback.

Since Taylor’s HIA substitution, Fogarty forced the Warriors to start every set from within their own 20 meter line.

One perfectly placed fifth-tackle kick forced a knock on from Maumalo in the corner and earned the Titans a fresh attacking set, while his willingness to run the ball on the last and chase the kick back on the inside forced an error from Tuivasa-Sheck a few sets later and led to the match winning try:

If Fogarty doesn’t put the pressure on Tuivasa-Sheck here, the Warriors’ fullback doesn’t fumble the ball and the Titan’s don’t get the chance to win the game.

But he does, and with the clock ticking down and his big-money halves partner on the sidelines, Fogarty puts a deft grubber into the in-goal which New Zealand fail to clean up, and Fermor snags the match winner.

In the last 10 minutes of the game, Fogarty posted two points with a conversion, one line break assist, one try assist, one 40/20 and one forced drop-out, to give the Warriors no chance of holding onto their early lead.

We talked recently about Nathan Cleary’s dominance in closing out tight matches, and while Fogarty mightn’t be quite at that level yet, the signs are promising for Holbrook and his new halfback moving forward.

https://twitter.com/oscarpannifex/st...503213569?s=21

Inactive User
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 13-07-20 at 07:16 PM.

This reply in response to the Comments in the Signing thread around the Facebook comments etc.......

We as a collective group here on this forum can at this moment have a small influence to help change in narrative about the Titans that I have noticed since we have signed Justin Holbrook and his team of assistant coaches. We can push the " Positive wheelbarrow" to ride the back of the change. I admit that we have been troubled in the past but I really feel that we are turning the corner. My reasons are that I can not remember a time when there has been a chorus of former and current players saying that Fifita should come to the Titans. We have Paul Kent saying something good about us and we have disappeared off the " Badel radar ". For those that know me I camp out on twitter a fair bit and I have noticed the change in the narrative which gives me hope and as a collective we too can influence more change. So my challenge is that we need to prise the media content producers when they write positive articles about us to ride this change.

Rep Player

Nice little puff piece about JJ. I've liked what I've seen so far and hope he keeps improving. I think long term he'll be a solid impact bench prop for us. We need more salt of the earth, no ego lads like this. No more Hayne Planes, please.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/21/...and-loving-it/

Jolliffe is finding his feet in first grade and loving it
    Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
    Tue 21 Jul 2020, 08:01 AM

All he wanted was the chance to prove he was NRL standard and Jaimin Jolliffe is starting to feel he's earning his stripes.

At 23 years old he made his NRL debut for the Titans this year after spending the past three seasons with the Newtown Jets in Canterbury Cup.

"I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely a step up from what I'm used to but I feel like I'm learning heaps each week and starting to find my place in the team," he told NRL.com

His timing is impeccable. If the young prop hadn't been lured north by the Burleigh Bears - the Titans feeder team - he wouldn't be playing football at all with the COVID-19 pandemic shutting down the reserve grade competitions in both states.

The NSW Country Under-18s representative was originally picked up by Cronulla from his junior club, the Wagga Kangaroos.

The past three years with the Jets brought a premiership in 2019 but that didn't translate in helping Jolliffe take his game forward.

"When I finished off the season, there was really no option there for me at Cronulla so I had the opportunity to come up here on a training trial," Jolliffe said from the Titans training headquarters at Parkwood, near Southport on the Gold Coast.

"I was stoked to get the chance to play and try to take my career forward.

"All I wanted was the opportunity to prove myself. I can't thank the Bears, the Titans and Justin (Holbrook) for helping me and rewarding me for all the hard work."

Seems like Jolliffe is doing a good job of repaying that faith. He's started five times in his nine games for 2020, averaging nearly 100 metres for his 40-45 minutes each match.

He doesn't mind that he made his first grade debut in the new six-again era, where the pace of a NRL game substantially rose.

"It's definitely a faster style of football but I don't mind the hard runs, the hard work," he said.

"It's more challenging in the middle but that's the thing that makes it more enjoyable for me. If I can go out and do a real job in the middle I find that very rewarding."

The message from Holbrook has been direct.

"He just wants us middles working with each other to bring that consistency. He wants us to be genuine in everything we do on and off the ball," Jolliffe said.

"It sounds like a simple job carrying the ball forward but he wants us to constantly strive to be better at that. He's been happy with what I've been doing but he wants that consistency in me to start games and set that platform.

"Justin is very approachable. You can have the conversation with him and he will be honest with you.

"I really appreciate that being a bit older and playing a few years in reserve grade, I wanted to have those tough conversations to work on myself.

"He's always got good advice to give. He's very involved with the players and I think that's the best part of him - he's always striving to be better."

So far Jolliffe has earned himself a two-year stay with the Titans taking up their option to keep him on for 2021.

"I'm loving it up here. I like the players and I like the staff. I can't think of being anywhere else.

"I want to be here when things start turning because I really think that's going to happen."

Everyone will notice that if the Titans put in a good showing against top-of-the-table Panthers at Cbus Stadium next Sunday.

"The pressure is not so much on us. We can go out there and really prove ourselves as a club on the rise - a really good opportunity to rip in," Jolliffe said.

TITANS

In all honesty, there is not much else the Titans need.

With David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui on the way, the Gold Coast will have a strong forward pack with a mix of both size and finesse.

Their halves situation isn’t exactly ideal as Ash Taylor is taking up a fair chunk of the cap and not performing to his ability.

But it is not worth trying to offload him yet.

Taylor is a confidence player who could finally live up to his potential playing behind a better forward pack.

Jamal Fogarty is also growing in confidence with every game.

David Fifita is off to the Gold Coast. Pic Annette Dew
    David Fifita is off to the Gold Coast. Pic Annette Dew
    In the outside backs, the Titans have plenty of speed to burn in the likes of AJ Brimson, Dale Copley and Phillip Sami while Brian Kelly is proving a handful and Anthony Don is staying on for another year.

Corey Thompson of course is also waiting in the wings for his shot.

Defence can be a concern but that has more to do with coaching structures.

Realistically, the hooker position is the only question mark moving forward.

Tom Starling again is a solid option here given he is reliable in both defence and his service from dummy-half, which is all that would be needed.

https://twitter.com/foxnrl/status/12...789103104?s=21

Rep Player

Can someone with a Bulletin sub post this article about Mo please?

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...4a3247883c9901

Stats confirm Moeaki Fotuaika is one of the NRL’s top props
    Nic Darveniza, Gold Coast Bulletin
    August 5, 2020 3:45pm
    Subscriber only
    Moeaki Fotuaika is the underrated prop taking the NRL by storm despite flying under the radar of the majority of the country’s footy fans.

Per game, 20-year-old Titan Fotuaika is in the 92nd percentile or better in tackles, runs, metres and metres-per-run across all NRL forwards despite sitting in the 76th percentile of minutes played.

True to form, the humble prop said he wasn’t playing for accolades or respect from anyone outside of the Titans facility.

His herculean efforts in the midfield are a product of his love for his teammates and the faith shown in him by coaching staff Justin Holbrook, Jim Dymock and Jim Lenihan.

“Honestly I haven’t been focusing on that,” Fotuaika said on whether he was getting the respect he deserved in 2020.

“I’ve been focusing on trying to improve every game.

“That my teammates are happy with me, and the coaching staff, that’s all that matters to me.”

Fotuaika played through a fractured wrist and knee ligament complaints throughout 2019 but emerged with the Titans player of the year award, the youngest player ever to win it.

‘Big decision’: Titan faces the biggest call of his career

Playing injury-free as a starter for the first time in his NRL career has only accelerated his development.

“Being injury-free has helped me out a lot this year,” he said.

“I don’t have to sit out certain training sessions and I can focus on doing everything in training.”

He’s far from the finished product, which is an exciting prospect with another two and a half seasons left to run on his Titans contract.

His tackle accuracy is the only blight on a stellar 2020 season - 14 misses from 412 attempts sit in the bottom 35 per cent of forwards.

“I didn’t know that, that’s something I have to fix up,” Fotuaika admitted.

“I’ll have to look back at my tackles and try to improve on that.”

Rep Player

Cheers JB.

What a player young MoFo is turning out to be. Could he be our Civoniceva? Minus the late-career stint at the Panthers of course.

Not media, but I saw someone started this thread on LU.

Could the Titans be a smokey for the 8?
    https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/t...-the-8.481416/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER