Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Inactive User

All of Peachey’s best performances are when he plays in a middle of the field role, generally lock.
    With Arrow leaving all we need now to replace him is an honest toiler like Whitbread/Joliffe to wear the #13 at kick off and do a gritty 30mins of work to set up bringing Peachey on for the last 50mins of the match or until we have a good lead (god willing) and then bring the starting #13 on to close out the game.

Never ever play Peachey at Centre/2nd row again unless we are forced to due to an injury DURING the game.

Great point bods. if we have Mo, Tino, Lisone, Joliffe, Wallace, James etc to do the hard runs through the middle, Peachey could be a real difference maker for us providing that ball playing and speed around the ruck

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I know most of us already realise this but just going to leave this here

People need to realise that Holbrook has moved Ash to 6 so that Fogarty can control the game and guide the team around, and Ash can just come up with the attacking plays on the back of it. He’s been involved in 55% of our tries ( the most of any player in the comp), was great against the Broncos and had 3 linebreak assists in 5 minutes against the Sharks last week. Sure a player on his contract should be doing more, but to suggest he’s been bad and should be dropped is just stupid
    I think the argument is more in line of moving Taylor to 6 had that intention. However it was evident once removed from the field Fogarty was slowed to manage the team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor is still wrestling for control with Fogarty when on the field together. It sure would explain the confusion with end of set options.

Yeah I think Holbrook does need to reiterate to them that Fogarty should be in control most of the time and just allow Ash to play his natural game. If they can get that right then I think they can be a good combo- the best one we have on our roster at least

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I know most of us already realise this but just going to leave this here

People need to realise that Holbrook has moved Ash to 6 so that Fogarty can control the game and guide the team around, and Ash can just come up with the attacking plays on the back of it. He’s been involved in 55% of our tries ( the most of any player in the comp), was great against the Broncos and had 3 linebreak assists in 5 minutes against the Sharks last week. Sure a player on his contract should be doing more, but to suggest he’s been bad and should be dropped is just stupid
    100% agree with this. I think the players are settling into their roles well and Taylor's role is to interject himself when needed. Fogarty is to guide the team. Pure and simple, the players are getting to know their roles. All the comments on how we played better with Taylor off are incorrect imo. Taylor is starting to look good. 6 try assists and 5 linebreak assists are just the start and I think he will start to really kick on this season. The problem is the expectation that he has to perform better than anyone else because of the money. To a degree that is correct, but he is also playing his team role, not our expectation's role. What we are starting to see under Holbrook is a team mentality, not individuals all competing. I think we are slowly improving, just lacking consistency.

Inactive User

Jamal should be our goalkicker. Anyone disagree??

Big JJ reminds me of Luke Douglas and I just hope he doesn’t get homesick because he is the glue with MoFo that holds our pack together. Don’t have a lot to say about Stone other than I think consistency is his issue but we need that sort of body shape on our edges (looking at you Farmer wherever you are) and keeping KP honest is value. Cartwright and Arrow are guilty of trying too hard and like Fermor. Completely agree that Peachey off the bench into lock is his best option. Hooker is troublesome but feel Boyd needs a lot of work. Speaking of which congratulations to Spry on his reasonable debut and his A (for Artie) Grade frame ... he needs Jenny Craig right now.

Can’t say enough about our savior Thompson ... a players player just like Hipgrave who will keep getting better and the Don who refuses to lie down. Also want to mention Wallace whose effort can’t be questioned but is really a worry.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

We are currently paying $7 to win

I love how Boyd darts out of dummy half and brings our forwards onto the ball. Yea his service isnt always the best and he makes the odd mistake everynow and again but you can see the effort he puts in and he never stops trying, he really straightens our attack. He's is pretty tough defensively for a little bloke playing in the middle, not sure if he's a hooker or half long term would like to see how he would go at 6 alongside Fogarty

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    I love how Boyd darts out of dummy half and brings our forwards onto the ball. Yea his service isnt always the best and he makes the odd mistake everynow and again but you can see the effort he puts in and he never stops trying, he really straightens our attack. He's is pretty tough defensively for a little bloke playing in the middle, not sure if he's a hooker or half long term would like to see how he would go at 6 alongside Fogarty
    Agreed

Titans overcome nightmare start to beat Warriors

Author
    Joel Gould
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp
    Fri 10 Jul 2020, 07:55 PM
    Joel Gould
    Share on social media
    Share via Facebook
    Share via Twitter
    Share via Whats-app
    Share via Reddit
    Share via Email
    The Titans ended a 10-game losing streak at Cbus Super Stadium by stunning the Warriors 16-12 courtesy of a late try to rookie Beau Fermor.

The Gold Coast had trailed 12-0 early and looked set for a heavy defeat with diabolical handling costing them dearly in the first half.

On the back of defensive resilience and a brave performance by second-rower Keegan Hipgrave, who played the majority of the match with an injured shoulder, they fought back.

Fermor, who played in the unfamiliar position of centre, scored the match-winner in the 74th minute after chasing a Jamal Fogarty grubber.
    Match: Titans v Warriors
    ROUND 9 - FRIDAY 10TH JULY
    F
    ULL
    T
    IME
    Titans
    Home Team
    Titans
    Scored 16 points
    Warriors
    Away Team
    Warriors
    Scored 12 points
    Venue: Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast
    Earlier, interim Warriors coach Todd Payten revealed that Ken Maumalo, David Fusitu'a and Agnatius Paasi were set to return to New Zealand after the clash with Cronulla next week.

They have not been able to get their respective families across the Tasman due to COVID-19 travel restrictions after the squad had relocated to Australia in May.

Payten said the trio had the club's blessing to head home on compassionate grounds.

"I think the lads [as a group] have got their head around the fact they aren't going home," Payten said in his pre-match interview with Fox League.

"With everything going on in Victoria it just looks more and more certain that we’re staying.

"There's a few guys who have expressed that they need to go home for family reasons which is understandable and we’ve given them a promise that can happen after the Cronulla game."

Freakish play from Peachey gets the Titans their second Freakish play from Peachey gets the Titans their second
    Freakish play from Peachey gets the Titans their second
    The Warriors started the match, wearing a "bush shirt" jersey emblazoned with gold and black squares in tribute to the city of Wellington, like men possessed.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was on fire and showcased his speed, both between the ears and across the park.

He initially won a captain's challenge for a Titans knock-on from one of his own offloads. From the ensuing scrum, the Warriors skipper stood up Fermor to score his 50th NRL try.

It was the razzle-dazzle Warriors on show moments later as a right to left sweeping play for Peta Hiku to throw a pearler for Ken Maumalo to score in the corner.

Chanel Harris-Tavita landed his second touchline conversion to lead by 12.

A bell ringer of a tackle by Hipgrave on Harris-Tavita jolted the ball free and got the Titans back into the game.

That hit inspired his teammates and soon after Anthony Don stepped inside several Warriors to finish a slick backline move.

Hipgrave injured his shoulder soon afterward but battled on bravely to play for most of the match under duress.

Tuivasa-Sheck straight back into the thick of it Tuivasa-Sheck straight back into the thick of it
    Tuivasa-Sheck straight back into the thick of it
    Jack Hetherington, on loan from the Panthers, was denied a try when the Bunker ruled he had pushed Fogarty before scoring after a loose Bryce Cartwright pass bobbled into the in-goal area.

The Titans completed four of their first 11 sets in an error-riddled display but defended with grit, missing just six tackles in an opening half where they made 196.

The Gold Coast needed a touch of genius in the second half and Tyrone Peachey provided it.

Chasing through an Ash Taylor grubber, Peachey collected the ball at pace and flicked it back just before he went over the dead-ball line. Sam Stone was on hand to score and narrow the Warriors lead to just two.

In the 63rd minute, a crunching hit by Warriors centre Patrick Herbert rocked Taylor, who hit his head on the turf and left the field for an HIA.

With Hipgrave following him off soon afterward the Titans needed something special and Fermor provided it with real class in front of a crowd of 5206.

The Titans had lost their last 10 games at Robina with their previous success being a 38-14 win over Newcastle in round six of last year.

It was a fitting way for the home side to finish a day where earlier the life of Titans founding father Tom Searle had been celebrated at a funeral attended by more than 400 people, including a who's who of rugby league.

The guts of the Titans was appreciated by coach Justin Holbrook who has instilled a resilience in his squad.

"It was just a great, determined win. We were extremely poor with the footy in the first half but we defended well," Holbrook said.

"To come away with a win tonight, I am just really happy. The determination for Peach to keep that ball alive for a try and for Beau to chase that kick so hard and be the first to get there was how we won the game tonight.

“We are a patched-up side at the moment with back-rowers playing centres but I am really happy with how we got on with it.

“We haven’t won here in a while so I am very happy for our members and fans who turned up.

https://twitter.com/joelgould6/statu...137581569?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I am not a Cartwright fan but him as a centre he has played his best games for us
    round 8 he got 155m and 10 tackles and no misses
    round 9 he ran for a 114 m and made 16 takles with only 1 miss
    so I am happy for him to play there again until Young gets back
    After reading about his knees bone on bone sounds to me maybe we have 2 medical retirements
    I think Taylor get a head knock was a blessing in the making for Fogarty to take full control
    My wish would be Taylor is to miss the next game for safety concerns over the head knock
    put Boyd at 5/8 and let fogarty play his game
    Fermore looking good in my books missing a few tackle but only his 2nd game
    Watched Tino as a edge player nope needs to be in the middle for me and only a 50 min player at the moment

Inactive User

Let’s see the Storm use this season to develop Tino into an edge player ready made for us.

Having said that if we have a 2nd row rotation of Fermor, Hipgrave, Cartwright, (maybe Proctor/Fifita ) with Farmer and Stone as depth players then maybe Tino would better suit us being a part of the front row/lock rotation with Mo/James/Lisone/Peachey with Joliffe/Wallace etc adding the depth.

Theoretically with continued good coaching and culture development it doesn’t look too bad.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 12-07-20 at 09:37 AM.

Junior

Gee I hope Taylor is taking some notes off ponga today..... he is getting flogged and still getting up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by elltee View Post
    Gee I hope Taylor is taking some notes off ponga today..... he is getting flogged and still getting up every time.
    I hope you’re not referring to Taylor leaving the field on the weekend?